Cizeta seized

rakjoe

sad to hear

talking about US and Euro laws i had been told by US-UK diablo is not a safe idea to f..k with US temporary import laws

this is the proof it it a wise idea

I love how our system works. They essentially go in and steal the car from him because its illegal for him to have it. Then they put it in their own name, and sell it at auction to a new customer, who is then told to export it. Some of our laws here are so fcuking stupid. Unless he was driving it all over the place I dont see the harm. One fcuking car!

What is even more unbelievable is that a person can build a car, horseless carriage, or whatever they want and have death trap rolling down the road. This car is probably safer than any of those. and probably more efficient than many cars on the road.

I'm glad to see that our Federal law enforcement resources are being used to keep us all safe!! Great job ICE! Now I can sleep peacefully knowing that you are watching over us! :rolleyes:

Unless he was driving it all over the place I dont see the harm. One fcuking car!

There is evidence around the web that he was doing just that. From the number of events the car has shown up at in the last couple years, and the possibility of it having been driven to them, it appears to me that it has possibly been driven a typical mileage for a super-rare exotic of this type.

Photo Credit: Noah Gillard

cizeta1.jpg

Its a shame for sure, but whoever imported the car and agreed to the terms of the temporary importation are to blame. But hey... means there will be a Cizeta Moroder on the market soon!

Can't someone apply for a special exemption??? I believe that's how registration of one off's & homebuilts are done...no???

Two web sites for Cizeta, one looks official http://www.cizetav16t.com/Welcome.html One is an embezzlement warning http://www.cizetav16t.com/Welcome.html

At concorso Italiano 2003 there were a few Cizetas in the show and Claudio Zampoli was selling them hard. I liked the guy and got the impression they were US legal. He and his group drove them around Monterrey. There are a few clips of it being driven in the US on Youtube.

Here is a good clip of the car

The fact the gov can take that car is screwed up! Ticket him for driving it on the street, fine him for breaking import laws, make him get it out of the country. They shouldn't be able to take it and then sell it!

As far as the value, if it was a '96 and came into the country in 2001, $125,000 does not seem that unreasonable. The Cizeta is comparable to a Diablo and at that time, used Diablos were going for $125,000. What is the blue book on a used '96 Cizeta? With only 10 being built, they don't seem all that popular. $125,000 seems reasonable enough to put on a document.

I like those cars. Always hoped Cizeta could hold on and put a car out once in a while. With a little styling update, I could have seen them surviving. They could have gotten around the import laws by selling incomplete cars similar to what they do with the Noble. Funny there is no mention on the web site that they are not street legal and could be seized by the government.

Can't someone apply for a special exemption??? I believe that's how registration of one off's & homebuilts are done...no???

He built the car in his own small factory. He probably could have called it a kit car.... I think he had a few options.

He has California plates on it in some clips. Wondered how he managed that with a non-compliant car?

Is it just me who sees some justice here?

Hard to feel sorry for a guy who chopped up and basterdized a Diablo....

Payback is a bitch!

Payback is a bitch!

I think that would more pertain to vector then it would Cizeta. But Vector got theirs as well...I still think its a load of crap.

Not to mention all the Skyline GTR;s taht they are taking off the street. I was starting to lose sleep at night thinking about what kind of mischeif cars like these were causing! Finally our kids are safe!

Payback is a bitch!

I think it is an interesting story. Zampoli worked at Lamborghini as an engineer for years and left when Chrysler took over to start his own venture. Gandini designed the Diablo for Lamborghini and Chrysler "bastardized" the design and heavily modified it for aerodynamics. Zampoli approached Gandini to design his Cizeta and Gandini sold him a slightly modified original Diablo design.

Cizeta sprouted up in Italy when Chrysler bought Lamborghini and was made up of ex-Lamborghini employees using an original Diablo design for an original engine layout. This was all back in the late 80's. I think the company died more or less in the mid 90's. Zampoli moved to the US and tried a second go of it. Never took off and now his car is being taken away.

Justice or payback? Depends how you look at it I guess.

Payback is a bitch!

I think it is an interesting story. Zampoli worked at Lamborghini as an engineer for years and left when Chrysler took over to start his own venture. Gandini designed the Diablo for Lamborghini and Chrysler "bastardized" the design for aerodynamics and their taste. Zampoli approached Gandini to design his Cizeta and Gandini sold him a slightly modified original Diablo design.

Cizeta sprouted up in Italy when Chrysler bought Lamborghini and was made up of ex-Lamborghini employees using an original Diablo design for an original engine layout. This was all back in the late 80's. I think the company died more or less in the mid 90's. Zampoli moved to the US and tried a second go of it. Never took off and now his car is being taken away.

Justice or payback? Depends how you look at it I guess.

He built the car in his own small factory. He probably could have called it a kit car.... I think he had a few options.

He has California plates on it in some clips. Wondered how he managed that with a non-compliant car?

The Autoblog article mentions the car being driven on a "manufacturer plate"...

This guy lied to government on the importing documents, and managed to keep it in the country and enjoy it for 8 years? And all that happened was the government took the car away from him? Seems like a fair trade to me.

Thats not the car from Italy. If a guy lives in LA and builds a kit car that looks like a Lamborghini can the Gov take it away and send it to auction. Thats what I see here. You know he built proto types. You know there were extra parts left over. Here are photos of a car being put together in LA He is not a factory so I think this is a KIT made with some original parts. I dont think that California can afford to be sued right know over 1 F-ing car. This Guy was the one that put Eddie Van Halen and Sammy Hagar together. He is one of the best mechanics in the USA. Why pick on him ? He's not rich he's not hurting anyone. I just don't get it!

Retirement_Party_2008_047.jpg

Retirement_Party_2008_058.jpg

Retirement_Party_2008_072.jpg

Retirement_Party_2008_073.jpg

Thinking back didn't the US Gov try to take this car before but a Judge ruled and gave it back to him. You would think that with the taxes we pay our US Gov could spend a little money on a computer to track these type of things.