College Bowl Games....

blylek

Shoot at 26 if you're not an All Pro you'd be considered a journeyman anyways. Trust Me I know guys that were recent early (1-3) rounders that were out of the league within 4yrs. Retired at 27...Looking for a job.

Very true. I know a guy that works at a very humble hourly job that was drafted I think in the 4th round. Played 5-6 years and then couldn't make a squad. He was smart and bought a few homes and invested but never got the big contract that most players never get. He played with the Vikings when Randy Moss was there and has some great stories.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very true. I know a guy that works at a very humble hourly job that was drafted I think in the 4th round. Played 5-6 years and then couldn't make a squad. He was smart and bought a few homes and invested but never got the big contract that most players never get. He played with the Vikings when Randy Moss was there and has some great stories.

Hes also got the NFL Pension down the road.

Yeah, I think he just works to keep busy and health coverage for his I think 5 kids, and to save for their college. His cousin plays in the MLB for the Twins. I remember he went to the last Superbowl in Tampa and he goes every year as a guest, but was saying he was kind of over it. Trying to figure a way to get him to hook me up

After the scare that Nebraska gave Texas, I'm pretty sure Texas is doing everything they can to not be in that position again...Texas will come prepared and will win.

Yeah but that pension is just like any other defined benefit pension. Unless it's changed since '02 when I last read the details for an old client's plan, you will be only paid (an annuitized payment) commensurate of your years of service and AVERAGE yearly salary for ALL of those years up to 85% of your max yearly salary...Signing bonuses do NOT count as salary. Actual weekly pay only. that's why you see those incremental salary contracts that go up per year with options placed during those years; big signing bonuses and only a fraction of it as salary during the first few years. And a minimum amount of years (I think 5yrs) you have to have played in order to be pension eligible. So it's not all that rosey. Like any other Corporate job.

Once you stop playing, it stops growing and you can't start taking pension until you're pension age eligible if you're even eligible.

And THAT gentlemen is how former NFL players go bankrupt after retiring. Extreme drop in income, and no planning ahead. And you can get cut at any time

After the scare that Nebraska gave Texas, I'm pretty sure Texas is doing everything they can to not be in that position again...Texas will come prepared and will win.

ut_sucks.jpg

TexasSucks.jpg

Damnit...i stay offline for the long weekend and miss all this talk about the Bucks winning (although i didnt think they were playing all that spectacular) and about the whole brian kelly fiasco at UC.

Its probably a moot point by now, but the way he handled it giving the kids false hope that he might stay and keeping it hidden was tacky. Even worse was how he did it. A friend of mine is a big UC booster and was at the team banquet or whatever the hell it was. Basically Kelly wasnt there talking to anyone. He arrived, walked right up on stage, gave a speach, then told the players they have a team meeting in the next room. He walked them all in there. Told them, then immediately bolted out the other side and left the whole thing immediately. To say the team was devistated is almost an understatement.

With that said though....UC never had a defense and I agree with the sentiments that their conference is a joke of teams that simply play one half of the game. Offense. I said from the start Tebow was going to run the field on them, and i think his stats back that up.

The camera sure doesn't stay too long on the boise state dance team/flag team or whatever they are! Cheerleaders, not too bad...dance team with the orange toga thingies...woah!

That was a great 4th quarter. Boise State has some balls! I kept cracking up each time they'd show the Boise State band...they panned up and cut out the fugly flag/dance chicks, lol. Great game.

As far as Im concerned, we have co-national champs..... FOURTEEN and OH.

Did you see that huge butch fat bitch with the braided hair? They kept showing her.

Honestly both teams surprised me. It was a good game.

Both TCU and BS suck. Neither should be in a BCS game just like Cincinnati.

Until these teams have to play a somewhat tough schedule, they are a joke.

And don't give me the shit about the win over Oklahoma in 2007 or the Utah win last year. The fact is, both Alabama and Oklahoma were morally beat down after they didn't make the BSC championship game. Neither team gave a crap and it showed.

If you put either of these bums in the BCS championship game Texas or Alabama would crush them! It would not even be close.

After watching the game (and most college games for a long time). I don't think BSU or TCU would have beat Florida, Alabama, Texas, Oregon, OSU, PSU, and a few of the other top 15. Cincy and BSU or TCU would have made a good game.

Now I am not saying they are bad and they are top ~15 for sure. But many of the passes into double coverage by both teams would have been eaten up by some of the top 8 or so teams - as it was there were 5 interceptions on the night and should have been 3 or 4 more.

I thought both teams would be a little crisper based on how they played and put up points all year - that does say a lot about competition played during the regular season. The first 3 quarters were fairly average play by both teams, the 4th quarter was much better. I think you would have seen more of what Florida did against Cincy with some of the other top 10 teams.

I know some will argue that in 07 when BSU beat Oklahoma - and that was a great game, one of the best. But BSU played well all game and made much fewer mistakes - and was a better team than this year.

PS - I really like BSU and TCU. I love that they both broke into the BCS bowls which is no small task for schools that size and without the national presence of some of the Tier I schools. I just don't think this year they would have upset any of the bigger programs.

Yeah, my point is verified after this game. BOTH teams really should have played someone else. Was a good game, but we don't really know for sure where they stand in the area of the 'elite' teams.

But, like Roman said, no matter what BSU should be Co-champs. Might've had a real argument if Oregon had done some damage to O State. But if BYU can win one (1984) then why can't Boise get a piece?

Both TCU and BS suck. Neither should be in a BCS game just like Cincinnati.

Until these teams have to play a somewhat tough schedule, they are a joke.

And don't give me the shit about the win over Oklahoma in 2007 or the Utah win last year. The fact is, both Alabama and Oklahoma were morally beat down after they didn't make the BSC championship game. Neither team gave a crap and it showed.

If you put either of these bums in the BCS championship game Texas or Alabama would crush them! It would not even be close.

Theres a problem with this logic.... I watched the ESPN "Bowl Mania Show" where they pick which team will win each bowl game and how CONFIDENT they are about each pick. The same guys who say "Texas or Alabama would crush BSU" said "TCU would UNEQUIVOCALLY beat Boise and that was Ed Cunningham's HIGHEST PICK in terms of confidence.

The fact is, the conventional wisdom, is OFTEN wrong. NON BCS conference teams have faced BCS conference teams 4 times. The conventional wisdom was they would ALL lose... And lose big.... They're 2 and 2.... Football is an INCREDIBLY complex sport.... Its a lot like CHESS.... You can learn the basics in a few minutes..... But it takes a LIFETIME to master all the intricacies (which is why is such a great game....) But because of that complexity- How various defensive schemes stack up against various offensive schemes.... How various players stack up to players facing them.... Team Size vs Team speed vs Team smarts vs team execution and discipline. The MENTAL game (which is the great X factor)... The effects of injuries... Weather... Penalties... Clock Management... And just dumb luck.... There is NO WAY to unequivocally GUESS which team would beat which team on a given day... You can make some educated guesses (which the bookmakers do an extraordinary job with.... But they take ALL of the above into account when they generate their number.... As opposed to a lot of pundits who just take what conference a team plays in or how they look on paper). The idea that Alabama or Oklahoma "Didnt show up" is PART OF THAT ANALYSIS.... And it does nothing to diminish the value of the win.

The BCS promised it would deal with the "Problem" of co national champions.... Of course it didnt. Because it WASNT A PROBLEM.... If two teams run the fcuking board in Division 1a, I dont care if they're in the SEC or the SUNBELT.... They did everything that was asked of them, and barring proof to the contrary deserve a piece of the title.

After watching the game (and most college games for a long time). I don't think BSU or TCU would have beat Florida, Alabama, Texas, Oregon, OSU, PSU, and a few of the other top 15. Cincy and BSU or TCU would have made a good game.

BSU already beat Oregon..... In an EMBARRASSING way... Why would they need to do it again?

(BTW- Anybody else think Oregon played BETTER in the games it DIDNT have Blount?)

I have to admit that winning all games no matter what conference is VERY difficult. I honestly would have enjoyed a matchup between UF and Boise State or TCU. I feel UF would win, but not by the margin I originally thought.

So Georgia Tech and Iowa-Ill take GT.

Alabama and Texas-I still take Alabama.

(BTW- Anybody else think Oregon played BETTER in the games it DIDNT have Blount?)

*Raises Hand* Blount didn't seem to help Oregon much, if at all, despite the talent. I thought the other RB was much more effective and worked better withing Oregon's overall offensive scheme.

Excellent observation!. I think Blount actually ADDED to the team and brought some necessary toughness to the offense (sort of completed them "on-paper"). BUT, the issue of trying to implement him into the offense consistently might've caused a problem with the offense's explosiveness. He probably did take some snaps away from the freshman, and some passes away from Masoli. I noticed inadvertently that "hey the little guy (RB) isn't running as much as he used to". They DID seem to be more of a "Standard" offense now that he was on the field, a little more predictable. Part of Oregon's effectiveness was the fact that "the little guy" (can't think of his name right now) would be in the backfield with 3 or 4 receivers spread out and Masoli could throw or pass to a receiver or the back in the flat, run a screen to the back, at any moment run it himself or hand-off or run an option ON ANY PLAY and it kept defenses freakin' confused. Then the last two games:the big guy is in 2 outta 4 plays and you know its either a run to him between the tackles or he's in to block for a drop back pass...He probably did minimize the versatility of the offense (which is probably what the offense would've been all season if he wasn't suspended, which MIGHT be the reason Boise St. beat them in the first place) hmmmm :eusa_think:

Surprised by how Iowa OWNED Georgia Tech. Kind of like how Miami OWNED Georgia Tech early on in the year.

So far I am 1-1 on the games I have called. 1 more to go manana.

Man I'm really sort of bummed by the last game of the season just a day away. I like the NFL and will watch some of the playoffs, but I just cant seem to get into the pros anymore. Football season seems like the shortest season of the year...