Repainting Lambo

So a friend wants to repaint his Gallardo verde ithaca from yellow.The local Lambo dealer said when they take the glass out there is a good chance it will crack.Is this just them mentioning there is a small chance to cover there butts or should it be a real concern.

Shane

Taking out a sealed windscreen is risky. You have to cut away the glue with a knife and a tool like a cheese wire. I have done a few and it is difficult. I have broken one on a Lancia, but that only cost a fraction of the cost of a Lambo windscreen.

doing a total repaint is never, ever a good idea. The delta in devaluation will seriously outweigh the delta to just sell & buy a new one.

Cracking his glass is the least of his concerns. I hear stories like this and I just wonder what motivates people to make the choices they do. Why would the Lamborghini dealership even open themselves up to the incredible liability of this project? At any price?

Most likely, the glass will crack when you remove it if there is even a small crack on the edge of the oe glass.

I personally wouldnt do it.

Like Joe said, much more worth it to just sell and get one in the color he wants

Maybe a good excuse to get a newer year model anyway

vinyl wrap?

:iamwithstupid: If he ok with devalueing the car and money to burn go for it. It's his car, I would never repaint a good paint job from lambo unless lambo is doing the repaint.

a total repaint from a certified lambo or ferrari auto body will cost you approx 20k or more and you will lose 20k or more on the resale. For shits and giggles I asked when I had my front bumper painted. for the 40k loss, sell the yellow buy the verde GBGallardo has a nice one for sale, a member on here

has he thought about a wrap instead?

its accurate, whenevre the windshield has to come out the insurance adjuster factors in a new windshield. Not that it breaks everytime, but 7/10.

:iamwithstupid: If he ok with devalueing the car and money to burn go for it. It's his car, I would never repaint a good paint job from lambo unless lambo is doing the repaint.

i have heard lambo will contract local shops to do resprays and never really actually does them itself

Re Resale- It will depend if the guy is in NZ which if it is like Aus, there will not be many if any VI cars. I know in AUS, a VI Balboni is the first VI car in the country so you may very well raise the resale here if someone isn't willing to order it they may like it when they see it.

One of the guys here nearly got his LP640 painted VI and I think the figure was around $40k.

Re Resale- It will depend if the guy is in NZ which if it is like Aus, there will not be many if any VI cars. I know in AUS, a VI Balboni is the first VI car in the country so you may very well raise the resale here if someone isn't willing to order it they may like it when they see it.

One of the guys here nearly got his LP640 painted VI and I think the figure was around $40k.

The New Zealand Lambo is much cheaper than OZ I think. 2004-2005 mint G is only worth 150k-180K NZ dollars(dealers are asking for 200k).

Can't comment on the repaint.

to luckyse30driver :

Are you the one bought the ultra low kms purple Se30 diablo on trade me ?

Dam that was very good buy if you ask me, 200k asking price that's the last time I saw it.

hey i think youre forgetting the VI Spider down in Victoria with the colour matched wheels :puke:

but in the US its probably not worthwhile to do, however in a place like Aus or NZ where there is actually no choice in used cars its a different story.

one thing that i do find amazing though is that people say "only if re-painted by Lamborghini" or words to that effect, every brand new Ferrari or Lambo ive ever seen doesnt have the best paint job money can buy. dont get me wrong, not a bad paint job, but not as good as a high end shop can do on a fully prepped car IMO. theres a reason some hotrod guys pay up to $100k for a paint job.

I will mention a wrap, good idea.Yes its for a NZ car so only a hand full of colours to choose from and devaluing the car isnt a concern.It sounds to me like total repaint risky so will mention thought.

As for that trademe se30 it was a yellow one and a buck of bolts ,$200k was good price for straight car,but I would guess another $100k to get right.A set of wheels new costs $30knzd and that was the least of that cars concerns.

Not sure whatever happened to it

Jim501 is right. As far as I know there are no VI gallardos in NZ. So upgrading would only be an option if he was to buy new.

There's at least one, though I have no idea if it was factory painted, or just a wrap etc similar to this thread :)

Where would one order a verde wrap from

I would suggest the usual suspects like 3M for a start? im sure someone here may have more input though

I will mention a wrap, good idea.Yes its for a NZ car so only a hand full of colours to choose from and devaluing the car isnt a concern.It sounds to me like total repaint risky so will mention thought.

As for that trademe se30 it was a yellow one and a buck of bolts ,$200k was good price for straight car,but I would guess another $100k to get right.A set of wheels new costs $30knzd and that was the least of that cars concerns.

Not sure whatever happened to it

yeh, I remembered now, it was yellow, and the biggest fail of the all was they replaced the factory Head unit with a 100 dollars(from SuperCheap Auto) worth red and black Sony Cd/mp3 player. Why??????

yeh, I remembered now, it was yellow, and the biggest fail of the all was they replaced the factory Head unit with a 100 dollars(from SuperCheap Auto) worth red and black Sony Cd/mp3 player. Why??????

Cheaper for them than sourcing a replacement factory-model head unit.

As for where to get a wrap... no idea if it's the right sort for what you're after, but Panda Graphics in Manukau have done some full- or near-full-vehicle wraps for advertising etc, I would imagine a plain colour one would be doable too. Otherwise, Attract Signs in East Tamaki did one for a guy I used to work with.

Probably a bunch of other places too. Is your friend in Auck, or elsewhere?

I too think repainting is a bad idea. Aside from what the others said, Verde Ithaca is a very difficult color to paint. Because of the tricolor, it is difficult to get uniform throughout. Here is a link to the National Geographic show "Ultimate Factories - Lamborghini" and the segment on painting.

. In the case of the Gallardo, I believe they are machine painted, but it's a similar step process. Lamborghini charged me $14,000 for the VI option on the SV. It's far and away my favorite color so I understand, but I too would either go with a wrap, (which will not have the same tricolor effect) or try and find one from some other source.

VI is a love-hate color and it's popularity seems to be sporadic. I've had some dealers tell me they can't give one away and others tell me they can get more for a used VI. There were only three VI SVs made, one for the US market, and two for Europe.