Leaking rear view mirror - need to retrofit it.

carbuff

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, I'm glad to see you have the TTG back on the road. That's really shitty about the mirror leaking! Don't worry I'm not upset because I know you will fix it and she will be better then new. Is that Eb's Gallardo for sale at ZR?

yep i think it is Eb's :eusa_think:

Yikes, sorry to hear about the leaking mirrors!

Went ahead and replaced mine with the non-dimming mirror as a preventive measure and would recommend doing this for some peace of mind.

I have a new mirror I just bought before my car burned, ill let go cheap, drop me a pm

Do you have the control panel too? My buttons got jacked like the pics earlier in the thread and Lambo wants like 3k for the replacement!?!@?!?!?

Great preventative maintenance tip here - replace the mirror on your car even if you are not seeing any signs of leaking. It happens on 04-06 Murcielagos periodically as well. Most dealers can assist you with ordering a non-dimming mirror and it should cost around $50. Be careful removing the old on because the adhesive can be pretty strong.

The leaking is not as catastrophic in a Murci as it is in a Gallardo because it doesn't drip onto any instrumentation. The fluid from the mirrors will really mess up the switches in a Gallardo.

Thanks again to the OP, I replaced my mirror today. Took about 20 minutes total, the hardest part was putting the new mirror bracket onto the bracket that was left on the windshield. Otherwise, piece of cake...

Peter

some of the auto dimming mirrors in Acuras had the exact same problem.

They way i fixed mine was i went and bought a GM auto dimming mirror from ebay for about 50 bucks, bracket from the dealer for about 5 bucks, and some good glue to hold the bracket.

The mirror is about a 100 times better than the factory one, I also get a compass as a bonus!!!!! lol.

Look for Gentex mirror on ebay. its just a positive and negative wires.

• 2 weeks later...

Note that you can get the manual dimming mirro at please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors for $38. Dealer wanted to charge me $175 for the part plus $100 to install.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I'll be doing the same thing next weekend. My mirror started to develop a "spill mark" across the top. I did not realize the damage that may occur if I wait...

Looks like I'll be doing the same thing next weekend. My mirror started to develop a "spill mark" across the top. I did not realize the damage that may occur if I wait...

Call me paranoid but I would go ahead and take off your mirror while you wait for the new one to come in the mail.

• 7 months later...

My rear-view mirror got a "liquid bubble" in it this weekend (see photo). I think that

this might be a pre-curser to the dreaded "leaking" mirror. I immediately removed

the mirror and ordered the non-auto dimming one from Lambo__uff. This problem

is real! Check your mirrors before they start leaking and ruin your center controls! :shock:

post-6577-1305498273.jpg

My rear-view mirror got a "liquid bubble" in it this weekend (see photo). I think that

this might be a pre-curser to the dreaded "leaking" mirror. I immediately removed

the mirror and ordered the non-auto dimming one from Lambo__uff. This problem

is real! Check your mirrors before they start leaking and ruin your center controls! :shock:

:iamwithstupid:

This is a real problem for early G-car owners, particularly now that the 04 cars (which they sold a TON of due to flooding the channel at launch) are now seven years old. And they aint' gettin any younger, that's for sure. :icon_mrgreen:

I have a question because this thread could use it for those lurkers who are in the market for secondary cars:

What year did the factory switch over to the manual mirrors? 07+?

:iamwithstupid:

This is a real problem for early G-car owners, particularly now that the 04 cars (which they sold a TON of due to flooding the channel at launch) are now seven years old. And they aint' gettin any younger, that's for sure. :icon_mrgreen:

I have a question because this thread could use it for those lurkers who are in the market for secondary cars:

What year did the factory switch over to the manual mirrors? 07+?

I believe '06, since when ordering the new mirror, it had the applications listed, and '06 was the first year.

Part #8D0857511A

That's very cheap, they wanted to charge me close to $500, the mechanic ended up buying one from the Audi parts department and installed it for me, I think it was around $150 all up.

I replaced mine with the manual mirror as well. It was $36 or so from AMH. This was actually such a huge issue that I believe Lamborghini quit offering the auto-dimming mirror as an option and only put the manual mirrors in them. In any case, I wasn't risking having another leak so I swapped it out ASAP for the manual model.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish I would have read this thread a week ago. I saw the bubble last week and today my AC controls are melted from the fluid in the mirror. As everyone has said, if you have not replaced your OEM auto dimming mirror I would do so IMMEDIATELY! The dealer sold me the new manual dimming mirror and installed it for $55.

Too bad I now have to spend $2600 on new AC controls. I am going to contact the refinishing guy and see if they can handle it. Thanks for the link!

I really wish I would have read this thread a week ago. I saw the bubble last week and today my AC controls are melted from the fluid in the mirror. As everyone has said, if you have not replaced your OEM auto dimming mirror I would do so IMMEDIATELY! The dealer sold me the new manual dimming mirror and installed it for $55.

Too bad I now have to spend $2600 on new AC controls. I am going to contact the refinishing guy and see if they can handle it. Thanks for the link!

damn, that sucks.

If your refinishing guy can fix it please let us know.

Right now, the guy who can refinish it is working on the AC controls for another Gallardo. He is not sure if there will be enough material remaining after sanding down the buttons to refinish it, but should know something soon. I will keep you posted.