Top Gear America w/Adam Carolla

mad_74

I have no idea how well the show will do, but I for one am looking forward to it. I find Adam hiLARious. I never liked the Man Show, but he was absolutely, roll-on-the-floor, hysterically funny sometimes on Loveline w/Dr. Drew and on his radio show. I listen to his podcast a lot nowadays and it's often great as well. The guy is one of the funnier people out there. And he's a HUGE car nut, with intricately detailed knowledge of cars, owns a couple of Miuras (and maybe some other Lambos?), so how bad could it be?

It might not be as good as the original British team, but even so it could make for some great TV if you're a car guy.

I have no idea how well the show will do, but I for one am looking forward to it. I find Adam hiLARious. I never liked the Man Show, but he was absolutely, roll-on-the-floor, hysterically funny sometimes on Loveline w/Dr. Drew and on his radio show. I listen to his podcast a lot nowadays and it's often great as well. The guy is one of the funnier people out there. And he's a HUGE car nut, with intricately detailed knowledge of cars, owns a couple of Miuras (and maybe some other Lambos?), so how bad could it be?

It might not be as good as the original British team, but even so it could make for some great TV if you're a car guy.

:icon_thumleft: Agreed. Loved his radio show, and he's a huge car nut. Should be ok, depending on the cohosts. It's AFT this show got on the air. They filmed the pilot about 2 yrs ago.

Whether or not it's a good show (which is extremely unlikely); it will be compared to the original and will fail to even compete because of it.

Americans (generally speaking) do not know how to perform (or understand) dry, sarcastic humor the way the british do. That's what makes the show. British jokes are typically witty; American jokes are more slapstic.

Whether or not it's a good show (which is extremely unlikely); it will be compared to the original and will fail to even compete because of it.

Americans (generally speaking) do not know how to perform (or understand) dry, sarcastic humor the way the british do. That's what makes the show. British jokes are typically witty; American jokes are more slapstic.

What about "The Office?"

What about "The Office?"

Perfect example. I think the British one is funnier although I do really like the American version. The key is Steve Carrell. He is similar to Ricky Gervais (sp?) enough that it works. Almost every show on US TV is simply a ripped off version of a British show. Some work, some don't; but the 'wit' and 'sarcasm' is watered down heavily for the US.

Wow it's been awhile, I attended the original episode being filmed way too long ago. Never heard anything afterward and presumed it was canceled. I wonder if they have filmed more than one episode by now.

The format follows the UK to a tee. They had several of the UK Top Gear staff on hand to run the show. It has reviews, time trails, news, challenge (where the hosts are presented with $X to buy a car) and the star in a reasonably price car was The Hoff.

Would be interested to see it finally air but impossible to compare with its UK counterpart.

Let's give this show a chance...

It may not be the UK top gear, but the UK top gear isn't even itself on BBC America.

Would love to see Carolla do his thing.

I agree with you on the BBC America part. It's retarded that they can't show it in its entirety. Make it 1.5 hours and add all of the commericals they want. They did that with the Vietnam special. That's why I download and burn them to Blu-Ray and watch them that way. We miss 25% of every episode!!!

Sounds the same as here.

Channel 9 here has just picked up the rights to Top Gear here, and that includes, the UK, Australian and apparently the US version (per an article I read the other day). They showed their first episode of Season 14 on Monday and it was edited to within an inch of it's life. Not only had they cut the news they cut some of the stories. So will stick with watching the UK editions.

The Australian version has suffered the above problems that the US one will, it will forever be compared to the UK version and it gets absolutely lambasted by regular Top Gear viewers. It just doesn't seem to work as well.

agreed calling a show "top gear US" and having the same format will draw comparisons to the original in the UK which most poeple will reject. The only way to draw in non-top gear viewers will be to dumb it down and make it utter us car show trash which they would probably sooner cancel the series before changing the format like that.

In my opinion there is space for US Car programing, it should not be called top gear it should just be car based and entertaining. No matter what shows crop up they will always be compared to Top Gear UK because it sets the bar quite high.