Any matte color owners on here?

webster132

I'm curious to hear if we have any matte color owners on this board and what they have to say about keeping and cleaning the car. As I understand it, you can't actually 3M a matte car or it'll ruin the effect, right? So what do you do with chips? I would think it's pretty hard to touch it up too, then? What about cleaning and polish?

Def can't 3m a car with gloss Paint protection film. And matte film would probably look like shit. As far as cleaning i think i diluted IPA or alcohol mix would work for cleaning it up.

matte black is definetly alot easier to clean then regular car paint. My M3 is wrapped matte black I wash it as a normaly. Just stay away from wax.

It is incredibly hard to clean. The finish will scratch very easy. If you get any dirt or material on the wash cloth you will scratch the shit out of the car. Its a dicey option.

I'm curious to hear if we have any matte color owners on this board and what they have to say about keeping and cleaning the car. As I understand it, you can't actually 3M a matte car or it'll ruin the effect, right? So what do you do with chips? I would think it's pretty hard to touch it up too, then? What about cleaning and polish?

As I understand it, you can't actually 3M a matte car or it'll ruin the effect, right?

Correct. Unless you clear bra full pieces so there wont be a seam popping up. The clear bra underneath will help to preserve your paint and ad an extra cushion when it comes to rock chips.

So what do you do with chips?

Depending on how bad your rock chips are. you can take off the matte black piece and get it redone. But it will take a while for the film to show crators. Again beign safe would be clear bra underneath the matte black so your paint stays preserved.

I would think it's pretty hard to touch it up too, then?

I would not recomend touch up then you have patches. best bet is to get it redone

What about cleaning and polish?

Cleaning is easy. Stay away from polish there a reason why its called Matte.

welll both paint and wrap behave the same when it comes to cleaning. Im with kane on the cleaning tho you have to watch with what you clean it with only because of how easy it is to scratch the paint or wrap with any loose debri.

Depending on how bad your rock chips are. you can take off the matte black piece and get it redone. But it will take a while for the film to show crators. Again beign safe would be clear bra underneath the matte black so your paint stays preserved.

????????????

Russell

????????????

Russell

I was talking about the wrap film. That was before i read that he was asking about paint matte black. My BAD :eusa_wall:

The matte finish was originally used on "rat" cars. Contact your local rat car club and ask for suggestions. Sorry, I have nothing else.

welll both paint and wrap behave the same when it comes to cleaning. Im with kane on the cleaning tho you have to watch with what you clean it with only because of how easy it is to scratch the paint or wrap with any loose debri.

Are you saying the matte colors are more easily scratched then gloss paint? Why?

Why can't you use car wash soap, or wax? It still has a clear coat. I wouldnt think a little wax would make that much of a difference?

Harley Davidson motorcycles has utilized matte colors for a few years.

My understanding is to use Windex (name brand) window cleaner to clean the paint surface and to definitely stay away from waxes.

A Harley website forum may offer matte paint care suggestions.

I know that Harley has black, red, blue, silver and I think olive green matte colors.

You basically do the opposite of gloss finishes. You use Windex or Dawn to wash and NEVER use a wax, polish, glaze, or buffer.

Are you saying the matte colors are more easily scratched then gloss paint? Why?

Yes. Although the paint has a clear coat you cant just buff a scratch out like you would on conventional paint.

Why can't you use car wash soap, or wax?

You can your carwash soap.

It still has a clear coat. I wouldnt think a little wax would make that much of a difference?

If you do wax a section of a matte black paint you give it a deeper flat black look. the trick to it is finish the rest of the car in consistency or you'll have a mess on your hands. Youll notice the patches of where you did not wax get right away. its a whole mess of work to make it look right. in the end it will still be flat black.

I will advice against it. I LOVE the Bianco Canopus as stated here a number of times, but it is impossible to keep clean. But it looks GREAT I will give you that.

We used to sell a lot of bikes in matte finishes. It totally sucks. One drop of oil or greasy fingerprints are a nightmare to get out. If you try and get them out too judiciously it polishes the finish around that area. I remember looking at the Reventon in Las Vegas and you could see it already appeared patchy where they had been trying to clean it. I love the look and would despise owning it.

We used to sell a lot of bikes in matte finishes. It totally sucks. One drop of oil or greasy fingerprints are a nightmare to get out. If you try and get them out too judiciously it polishes the finish around that area. I remember looking at the Reventon in Las Vegas and you could see it already appeared patchy where they had been trying to clean it. I love the look and would despise owning it.

By the time the LFA got to the chicago autoshow it looked horrible, like you describe above.

By the time the LFA got to the chicago autoshow it looked horrible, like you describe above.

I don't think the paint was the culprit on that one :icon_mrgreen:

Something that works really well is Isopropyl alcohol. You put 10% of isopropyl in a spray bottle and then fill the rest up with water it will get rid of the wax or grease. Without damaging the paint.