Earth quake

hp400

Yep - we were at my friend's house when it hit and water started sloshing out of her pool the shaking was so bad.

It felt like it lasted 30-45 sec and then everyone had "sea legs" for about 2 min afterwards, lol!

~KK

yeah it was timed at 34 seconds. Major, but no buildings fell. A true testament to how we build structures out here...There was a 2nd one at 5.3 and lasted 25 seconds and it was like nothing...

If it helps any of you guys I didn't feel a thing over here.

Thats what your girlfriend said....

rimshot1b.gif

Who else has crap located precariously close to their cars? Including 2 motorcycles….I hate the walk down to my garage after these earthquakes…...I need to move.

That is not true.*

*She said you cannot put that in there, it would be like waving a hotdog around in Grand central station.

i felt a small earth quake afew years back..maybe the smallest one you guys will ever feel over there..probably 3.0 or less..already freaked me out..since we don't get earthquakes here at all..i hope everyone is safe! i wonder if you will feel it if you were driving on the roads?

Guest SP-superJay
i felt a small earth quake afew years back..maybe the smallest one you guys will ever feel over there..probably 3.0 or less..already freaked me out..since we don't get earthquakes here at all..i hope everyone is safe! i wonder if you will feel it if you were driving on the roads?

you will not feel or notice it while driving unless the ground starts coming up from under you. one way you can notice it is if you're at a stop and if the telephone lines start swaying.

At times like this (especially given the frequency of earthquake related posts in CA), I think it's worth taking a minute to appreciate the great work structural Engineers in California have done in updating the building codes and continually pushing the envelope for seismic Engineering.

Them doing a great job means all these earthquakes are relative non events, when they could be far worse. If a 6.9 hit most parts of the US, it would result in quite a bit of damage.

The low damage in CA from this quake had more to do with the epicenter's distance than CA's seismic codes.

I was in San Diego at the time and it felt moderately strong but it was nothing compared to the 1989 quake in NorCal which was the same magnitude but happened only 30 miles from where I was at the time. There's just no comparison between a 7 quake from 120+ miles away like this recent one versus a 7 quake 30 miles away.

If Sunday's quake happened 30 miles from LA there would have been major damage, modern seismic codes be damned.

Just had another one 10-15secs long. That's 4 shakes this week, SINCE the big one.

Edit: 5.5 in Baja again!!!

The low damage in CA from this quake had more to do with the epicenter's distance than CA's seismic codes.

I was in San Diego at the time and it felt moderately strong but it was nothing compared to the 1989 quake in NorCal which was the same magnitude but happened only 30 miles from where I was at the time. There's just no comparison between a 7 quake from 120+ miles away like this recent one versus a 7 quake 30 miles away.

If Sunday's quake happened 30 miles from LA there would have been major damage, modern seismic codes be damned.

You may get major damage, but engineered and built right a modern california seismic zone 4 building will be very difficult to collapse, if that's any solace.