Holy SH%* R8 GT

decent

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the SL weight is dry, so should be the R8?

If it can do 10.8 0-200 with 560hp and 398tq, that should be enough to make a judgement on the weight.

Whatever it weighs, 10.8 0-200 is really fast.

The 997.2 TT PDK beats this to 100 comfortably and hits 200 in the same time, let alone the gt2.....and the gt2 RS, this cars true competitor for the money, will leave it standing still.

What's all the fuss about??

Discipline R8 V10 5.2 FSI

Max speed 195.92 m/h (316 km/h)

0-100 km/h acceleration 3.7

0-160 km/h acceleration 7.9

0-200 km/h acceleration 12.0

Discipline 997.2 Turbo

Max speed 193.44 m/h (312 km/h)

0-100 km/h acceleration 3.1

0-160 km/h acceleration -

0-200 km/h acceleration 10.8

The 997.2 TT PDK beats this to 100 comfortably and hits 200 in the same time, let alone the gt2.....and the gt2 RS, this cars true competitor for the money, will leave it standing still.

By the same logic, what's the fuss about any car? GT2 RS is faster than just about everything -- every Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Nissan, etc.

The GT2 is not it's competitor. The GT2 RS competitor is the 599 GTO. Besides, GT2 RS is also 250K, or 60K more before adding typical Porsche options ($$.) The R8 has every luxury still inside it, AWD, and is credibly rumored to be faster on the track than pretty much every car out there (997.2 PDK, SLS, 458, 570SL, 670SV, GT2.)

This will probably be one of the fastest all around sports cars that you can buy. Imagine daily driveability of an R8, speed and quickness of a 997.2 PDK/LP560, and track performance equal to or greater than a GT3 RS.

By the same logic, what's the fuss about any car? GT2 RS is faster than just about everything -- every Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Nissan, etc.

The GT2 is not it's competitor. The GT2 RS competitor is the 599 GTO. Besides, GT2 RS is also 250K, or 60K more before adding typical Porsche options ($$.) The R8 has every luxury still inside it, AWD, and is credibly rumored to be faster on the track than pretty much every car out there (997.2 PDK, SLS, 458, 570SL, 670SV, GT2.)

This will probably be one of the fastest all around sports cars that you can buy. Imagine daily driveability of an R8, speed and quickness of a 997.2 PDK/LP560, and track performance equal to or greater than a GT3 RS.

Agree with all this, the typical Porsche buyer (partcularly a GT2 RS buyer) is NOT cross-shopping the R8. Audi's R8 customers are coming from all marques, and all age groups, largely due to the car's unique look combined with its everyday driveability.

We'll see on those "rumored" lap times though... ;)

Ok, I thought this was being promoted as the hardcore stripped out beefed up 'GT' track/road top of the line up R8, putting it up against the same from Porsche? I also though this R8 was going to sell for around 240k USD, before options.... at least net research suggests this. Also, the title thread suggested this was something from space, and hence my comparisons and whats all the fuss about. The Lp 560 as it stands now will be roughly the same all round package to the average buyer....no?

Ok, I thought this was being promoted as the hardcore stripped out beefed up 'GT' track/road top of the line up R8, putting it up against the same from Porsche? I also though this R8 was going to sell for around 240k USD, before options.... at least net research suggests this. Also, the title thread suggested this was something from space, and hence my comparisons and whats all the fuss about. The Lp 560 as it stands now will be roughly the same all round package to the average buyer....no?

Well, it is. It's 100kg lighter, 35 more hp, slightly more torque. Lots of aero work too. It doesn't go as far as to strip the car of door handles, radio, and other stuff though. I guess they could have went the whole 9 yards and stripped it of everything, but if you just want to save a second on your lap times, then just spend 50K euro more and buy the R8 LMS and it will blow the doors off everything. Remember, it's a track oriented road car by Audi, so it's still going to retain some creature comforts. I personally wouldn't buy any car that lacked door handles, radio, etc, so I'm glad some stuff is still in tact.

It's the equivalent of the 570SL or the GT2.1/GT3.2 RS. This thing should be considerably faster than the LP560 on a track and somewhere between the 560 and 570 in pure acceleration. Pricing is 193K euro with most options. You can do some cosmetic stuff and add a race package that includes a roll cage, battery kill switch, etc. Other than that, I'm pretty sure most 'options' are standard. Expect $193K in the US.

While the GT2 RS will be faster, keep in mind that car hasn't even been officially released yet either, so technically the R8 GT is in competition with the best offerings by everyone else.

Food for thought:

Apparently the price for matte paint is an additional 1700 Euro. How much is Lamborghini charging for matte?

Add a zero.

Add a zero.

Prediction, next R8/Gallardo/Murcielago bodies will all be constructed and painted at Neckarsulm. As I understand it, Lamborghini still paints in-house, but I'm thinking this is most likely due to platforms not being as easily integrated into the production line for such things as painting. It will be interesting to see if cost cutting is reflected in pricing of the next two models.

It also might depend on the future platforms and whether or not all or some of the future cars will make use of CF tubs. Based on current costs, I don't expect the G or R8 to, but the M might simply due to it's status as flagship.

Have you all seen the R8 in person?

Am I the only one who thinks it is too short and stubby looking? About the same length as an Audi TT if you eyeball it... IMO it would be nicer if they added about a foot or so to the front end.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a good looking car, just too stubby for my taste...

I've seen it in person, and photos don't do it justice though. It has the same issue as all the cars with these designs, but in person, next to a TT you can notice that it's not just a bigger variant, there are some decent differences in between the two.

Have you all seen the R8 in person?

Am I the only one who thinks it is too short and stubby looking? About the same length as an Audi TT if you eyeball it... IMO it would be nicer if they added about a foot or so to the front end.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a good looking car, just too stubby for my taste...

I think that might have something to do with the height of it. Believe it or not, the sideblade was added because the car appeared to long to most people, and the blade broke up the length a bit.

Audi TT RS - 165.3 in

Audi R8 - 174.6 in

LP560 - 171.1

It is about 4 inches taller than an LP560 though.

I've seen angles where it looks bad. Sometimes it has to do with color, sometimes with lighting. Sometimes it's so a bad angle. Same goes for any car I think. It's an Audi, so there are obviously going to be some parallels with other Audi's, but it really stands out from a TT. I've never heard of someone asking what kind of car a TT was, but the sheer amount of people that inquired about what the R8 was, was much more than I would have expected.

These are some of my favorite shots of the car. It's actually why I bought mine in the colors that I did.

753641429_61e982628a.jpg

754494326_692eee7331.jpg

These are some of my favorite shots of the car. It's actually why I bought mine in the colors that I did.

753641429_61e982628a.jpg

754494326_692eee7331.jpg

Those are nice angles, I like how they slightly elongate the car. Looks nice!

Always nice to see the Gulf setups on cars.

I don't really like the scheme on that car, or at least how it's done, but it is good to know that I'll be able to have them paint the CF so I don't have 30's different matte colors on my car.

I don't really like the scheme on that car, or at least how it's done, but it is good to know that I'll be able to have them paint the CF so I don't have 30's different matte colors on my car.

It's not my favorite by any means (on this car that is), but I do like when people reference cool stuff like the Gulf livries.

• 3 months later...

Allocation of 90 R8 GT's to the US. Price expected to be $225K. Way too expensive.

Also, will be followed up by at least one even lighter and faster RWD R8 GT2, with the possibility of a final variant coming in even further stripped down before the replacement in 2014. Sounds like Porsche style marketing if it's true.

V8

V8 Spyder

V10

V10 Spyder

GT

GT2 RWD (2012)

GT2 RS (undetermined/2013)

The Gallardo is already painted by Audi. Only the Murci is painted in Sant'####. I'm pretty sure I remember it's even painted by a third party near the factory, not in the factory itself.

The upcharge that the Italians get away with on paint is outrageous. Glad to see some German sense and engineering being applied to bring that down on models that aren't exactly 1-offs anyway.