Holy SH%* R8 GT

decent

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

e-gear only is a bit disappointing. Particularly when the R8's R-Tronic system is still using the 04-08 Gallardo hardware instead of the revised and vastly improved unit that debuted in the LP560.

e-gear only is a bit disappointing. Particularly when the R8's R-Tronic system is still using the 04-08 Gallardo hardware instead of the revised and vastly improved unit that debuted in the LP560.

It says OPTIONAL R-tronic which means 6-speed is standard!!

I would buy one of these over a G (MAYBE not the new SL) any day! LOVE IT!

It says OPTIONAL R-tronic which means 6-speed is standard!!

I would buy one of these over a G (MAYBE not the new SL) any day! LOVE IT!

There are three other articles on the car online from various blogs/mags, and in each they say Audi made it extremely clear that R-Tronic will be the only transmission offered.

Just 333 units meant for production, price above $200k and "very unlikely" to be offered in the US.

Not sure I understand this option over a LP570-SL after digesting the info, though the SL would be slightly more expensive if that matters.

There are three other articles on the car online from various blogs/mags, and in each they say Audi made it extremely clear that R-Tronic will be the only transmission offered.

Just 333 units meant for production, price above $200k and "very unlikely" to be offered in the US.

Not sure I understand this option over a LP570-SL after digesting the info, though the SL would be slightly more expensive if that matters.

DAMN! That does suck. It's far more comfortable and spacious, and would probably be about $70k cheaper. Those are the only reasons I see.

Of course it will come to the US. Unless it doesn't pass safety standards, there is no reason it wouldn't.

If it only comes in R-tronic, it's because it's better/faster. I don't think they would release their top of the line, track oriented version with a less transmission.

I'd choose it over an SL because it's probably nearly as fast around the track if not faster, costs significantly less, and looks like an R8.

Strange though. They say 333 examples, but the image of the gear shifter has 236/250.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic...k/photo_05.html

Of course it will come to the US. Unless it doesn't pass safety standards, there is no reason it wouldn't.

If it only comes in R-tronic, it's because it's better/faster. I don't think they would release their top of the line, track oriented version with a less transmission.

I'd choose it over an SL because it's probably nearly as fast around the track if not faster, costs significantly less, and looks like an R8.

Strange though. They say 333 examples, but the image of the gear shifter has 236/250.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic...k/photo_05.html

It uses carbon ceramics even though the dealer said that they wouldn't work well on this side of the Atlantic!!! :lol2:

Someone above said it's still 300 pounds heavier than the SL. Is the SL really 3062 lbs?

DRY, not wet. It would be 3200 and change wet.

Also, what's with the options? All of this stuff should be standard IMO. I'll wait to see the US spec, since I believe they might include all the carbon as standard, like they did the engine compartment in the US.

Edit: Oh, and too many colors on it. Matte black, matte titanium, matte cf, and body color...

actually I dont see what the SL would be any lighter. both about 3300 depending on options.

actually I dont see what the SL would be any lighter. both about 3300 depending on options.

If the SL weight is dry, so should be the R8?

If it can do 10.8 0-200 with 560hp and 398tq, that should be enough to make a judgement on the weight.

Whatever it weighs, 10.8 0-200 is really fast.

definitely! especially without the use of a dual clutch tranny!

Also, AKAIK lambo and ferrari are the only two major car manufacturers that claim dry weights.

New pics of news wheels and the interior.

Also some stuff from someone very in the know with quattro:

1. Audi did test R8 V10 without AWD. Only RWD version was not any faster then AWD one. Specially on the Ring. Since AWD is very important for Audi image they decided to stick with it.

2. S Tronic or DCT... Technically new Graziano DCT(the one used in McLaren MP4-12C) could fit if R8 is 20mm longer. Yes, only 20mm is missing for new DCT. Since rearranging the complete car was not in question Audi decided to save it for all new R8 in 2013. BTW, Getrag DCT used in Cali, 458 and SLS is much, much bigger then Graziano DCT and weights almost 35kg more! Even ZF PDK is 25kg heavier then Graziano DCT and bigger in physical size. Next gen of R8 will use Garziano DCT.

4. My problem is that Audi decided to offer R8 GT as R Tronic only. Yes, it is almost the same gearbox as in Gallardo LP570-4 SL still I have my doubts...

BTW, according to my source R8 GT is faster then any competitors mentioned above on the Ring. New 458 included(Audi as Mclaren and Porsche owns example of 458 for evaluation).

1680x1050ar810167.jpg

1680x1050ar810168.jpg

1680x1050ar810169.jpg

1680x1050ar810170.jpg

1680x1050ar8d10165.jpg

1680x1050ar8d10166.jpg

1680x1050ar8d10168.jpg

1680x1050ar8d10169.jpg

audideutschlandmodeller.jpg

New pics of news wheels and the interior.

Also some stuff from someone very in the know with quattro:

Good post, that info on the differing sizes/weights of DCT providers is something we've been talking about of late. Nice to see some actual figures for the various systems.

The problem as the source mentions speculatively is that R-Tronic is likely the older Lambo e-gear system rather than the new system in the LP560, and the consensus from both previous G-car owners who moved to the 560 (along with the media testers) is that it's inferior to anything else on the market from competitors. Even other single-clutch units. Still "better/faster" on a track than a manual for sure, but the LP560 version of e-gear is dramatically improved in all regards in terms of the driveability of the car around town. Was hoping Audi could find a way to make those same changes with the GT tranny but obviously the cost/benefit ratio must not have been there for such a limited production run.

The 0-200 time on the R8 GT of 10.8 seconds sounds right, I believe Lambo quotes a time of 11.8 seconds for a stock LP560-4 and 10.2 seconds for the pending LP570-4 SL.

He does mention elsewhere that the R-tronic will see improvements again in the GT and if that's the case, it may just be like the 570SL. I don't know how drastically different the r-tronic is than the 560 gearbox mechanically. This GT will shift in 100 ms, if that tells anything. Perhaps it comes down to software.

In any case, it's very possible they could just toss the 570 gearbox in it. Who would know? They'd call it R-tronic, and unless you took it apart, you'd never be able to tell, right? I mean, it's the same car more or less, so I'm sure it would fit.