lp560-4 dyno on a mustang dyno

djrobroe

Hey guys,

Right now I'm at a dyno shop in west palm beach called jap trix and car put down 490, 487, and 482 awhp and about 355 awtq nothing done to the car except quicksilver exhaust that really doesn't claim any power gains.. I'll scan the charts and post em when I get home...

Strong for AWD results, nice. :icon_thumleft:

Allan will remember the details better but I think the original 04 G-car comes in around 390awhp on a Mustang, shows how far the platform has come over the years.

Wow, strong numbers! The 560 engine must be really underrated? Or has the drivetrain gotten that much better since the first G's?

Wow, strong numbers! The 560 engine must be really underrated? Or has the drivetrain gotten that much better since the first G's?

The move to direct injection and 5.2L is the big difference, along with airflow inprovements, increases in timing, efficiency increases throughout the drivetrain and other changes.

Their engineers (Audi or Lambo, take your pick) have done a great job in finding power in a platform that was fairly impressive from a tech standpoint even at launch.

The move to direct injection and 5.2L is the big difference, along with airflow inprovements, increases in timing, efficiency increases throughout the drivetrain and other changes. Their engineers (Audi or Lambo, take your pick) have done a great job in finding power in a platform that was fairly impressive even at launch.

True, but I was thinking about the ratings, 500 hp vs 560 hp -> 60 crank hp increase, 100 awhp increase.

The move to direct injection and 5.2L is the big difference, along with airflow inprovements, increases in timing, efficiency increases throughout the drivetrain and other changes.

Their engineers (Audi or Lambo, take your pick) have done a great job in finding power in a platform that was fairly impressive from a tech standpoint even at launch.

I also think that over the years. They improved the drivetrain in general, which could be very well responsible for the increase in wheel horsepower. For example. GTRs and PDK's may be rated at 480 and 500hp to the engine, and it may very well be correct, but their dyno numbers make them seem like they are underrating by 30-40hp. This is most likely because of the superior transmission/drivetrain.

Also.

04-05 Gs = 493bhp but 380-390 awhp.

06-08 Gs = 513bhp (20bhp increase) but 420-430 awhp (30-40 awhp increase).

09+ LP Gs = 552bhp (40bhp increase) but 480-500 awhp (60-80 awhp increase).

I think the Direct injection has something to do with it, but I think drivetrain improvement may be the biggest factor.

EDIT: I think the rating is accurate. 552hp ... 106hp/L is up there already.

I also think that over the years. They improved the drivetrain in general, which could be very well responsible for the increase in wheel horsepower. For example. GTRs and PDK's may be rated at 480 and 500hp to the engine, and it may very well be correct, but their dyno numbers make them seem like they are underrating by 30-40hp. This is most likely because of the superior transmission/drivetrain.

That sounds right to me, there is clearly less power loss with the newer exotics between the engine and the actual road than in previous models/years. Some of this is the result of increased efforts towards fuel efficiency of all things, some of it is just the application of newer science, but there is definitely a difference in outright "loss" versus the past.

True, but I was thinking about the ratings, 500 hp vs 560 hp -> 60 crank hp increase, 100 awhp increase.

And that's with weight gain on top of it, from roughly 3,350lbs wet in 04 to roughly 3,550lbs wet in the LP560 now, so the factory figures are even more questionable.

For me the biggest indicator of the power rating possibly being underrated by the factory in the 5.2L cars lies in a few actual performance figures that have changed over time.

In the 04 Gallardo you'd see 1/4 trap speeds in the 114-118mph range give or take. The LP560 traps anywhere from 124mph-128mph depending upon who is doing the testing and if corrections are being made. That much difference in trap mph is colossal in real-world performance. Even 3mph is a large margin, let alone 6-10mph.

The second figure I'm surprised at is the 0-150mph time for both cars. The 04 Gallardo usually hit a number around 21 seconds to that mark. The LP560 does it around 16 seconds.

For reference, that five second drop is the same difference in performance between a say stock F430 and an F599, or between a 997 C2 and a 997 Turbo (non-PDK). Both are about six seconds apart, and it is a massive drop in the real world.

Also.

04-05 Gs = 493bhp but 380-390 awhp.

06-08 Gs = 513bhp (20bhp increase) but 420-430 awhp (30-40 awhp increase).

09+ LP Gs = 552bhp (40bhp increase) but 480-500 awhp (60-80 awhp increase).

I think the Direct injection has something to do with it, but I think drivetrain improvement may be the biggest factor.

EDIT: I think the rating is accurate. 552hp ... 106hp/L is up there already.

I think you are off on your dyno numbers for the 06's ... from what I have seen the 06 didnt really have ANY hp increase, and as a an example Ajglobals 07 G just dynoed 395awhp.

Lol negative... No turbos for me... I don't wanna mess with it and twin turbo it... Ill prob just do a dms automotive performance tune and that's about it... I already can't run the car anywhere I don't wanna add twin turbos and make it worse.. Lol

I think you are off on your dyno numbers for the 06's ... from what I have seen the 06 didnt really have ANY hp increase, and as a an example Ajglobals 07 G just dynoed 395awhp.

FikseGTS dyno'd 428 in his 06 .. didn't you dyno 43X in your 06 SE?

Honestly, IMO, dyno #s don't tell you the whole story. Neither do VBox #s but they tell you a more real-world story.

EDIT: And didn't Alex say his dyno was low-reading?

"04-05 Gs = 493bhp but 380-390 awhp."

I put down 410hp 348 tq.....in my 04 awhp

But weren't those your modded numbers?

FikseGTS dyno'd 428 in his 06 .. didn't you dyno 43X in your 06 SE?

Honestly, IMO, dyno #s don't tell you the whole story. Neither do VBox #s but they tell you a more real-world story.

EDIT: And didn't Alex say his dyno was low-reading?

You cant compare dyno numbers as they all vary. Ive seen cars vary 50hp from one dyno to another.. My car made 424-437 RWHP (my SE) on Alexs rwd dyno.. My 04 made 411rwhp on Jasons dyno, where I believe Mr Vrooms 06 made slightly less...

You cant compare dyno numbers as they all vary. Ive seen cars vary 50hp from one dyno to another.. My car made 424-437 RWHP (my SE) on Alexs rwd dyno.. My 04 made 411rwhp on Jasons dyno, where I believe Mr Vrooms 06 made slightly less...

just ask them what is the roller wight is set at THAT mustang dyno.

alex

What kind of horsepower does that translate into at the crank? (Or is it possible to do the math in reverse and figure out from awhp what the crank hp is?)

Since it's officially rated at 552 hp, I'm curious as to what the dyno shows it really is . . . .

Hey guys,

Right now I'm at a dyno shop in west palm beach called jap trix and car put down 490, 487, and 482 awhp and about 355 awtq nothing done to the car except quicksilver exhaust that really doesn't claim any power gains.. I'll scan the charts and post em when I get home...

(Or is it possible to do the math in reverse and figure out from awhp what the crank hp is?)

Since it's officially rated at 552 hp, I'm curious as to what the dyno shows it really is . . . .

Considering the differences between early G's and LP560's, I'd say the reverse math is "impossible" by any standard formula.

Other than the former Japanese "gentlemens agreement", I don't see any reason why a manufacturer would underrate their engine?

k guys i was told 490 awhp on one of the runs but looked at the dyno sheets and didn't see it.... but here are the 3 runs... pretty consistent power and torque...

LP560-4Dyno2.jpg

LP560-4Dyno3.jpg

LP560-4Dyno1.jpg

Maybe every car is different then ... ?

Example. My Stock 06 beat a Stock GTR. FikseGTS's Stock 06 lost to a stock GTR.

Maybe every car is different then ... ?

Example. My Stock 06 beat a Stock GTR. FikseGTS's Stock 06 lost to a stock GTR.

of course..gotta factor in driver skill, a jump...a turbo car will make more power in cold weather..

of course..gotta factor in driver skill, a jump...a turbo car will make more power in cold weather..

All cars will make more power in cold weather.

hey guys....

for some reason im having trouble with the video on my mac don't know why. i'm not computer savvy...

here's a link of the run below on youtube