World Cup 2010

capt_chaos

I hope they fire those refs, horrible horrible horrible.

I'm positive the Uk would have won if it was 2-2.

Right, the fact that we would have still been the better team has nothing to do with it. Shouldn't being a goal down motivate you even more, especially as highly paid professionals? Face it, England lack quality.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right lets clarify something.

Those saying the USA are going to be a force. Nope. The standard of national teams around the world has picked up because of the strength of the leagues in England, Spain and Italy.

The influx of quality has had repercussions on the home grown. At a point this will stop. FIFA have dropped the notion of the home-grown quota but I would expect something to come from Italy, France and England leaving the tournament early. The cost of players has spiralled because of the likes of Barca/Real Madrid/Man City/Chelsea and so I think teams are going to look to their academies and nurture.

The foreign influx will reach a plateau soon.

For this reason I think it could be difficult for the USA to improve much more, their home grown league when compared to other leagues is a relic filled defence and pace shy uncreative hotpot.

Those saying the USA needed a bit of luck have a very short memory, you were gifted a point to help you qualify in match 1.

Based on today I think Germany struggled to hold possession in the first half, the stats showed a 10% difference, but ze Germans made their counter attacks work. Sure if the ref/lines men were normal human beings they would have given the goal but they didn't

which is a shame because England were coming together and at 2-2 you could have had an all time classic on the cards.

When he came out at half time and Wayne "I am just a thug in boots" Rooney was gobbing off to a very sheepish ref who knows he could be sharing a flight home with the England team.

The English under performed though and deserved to go out. The back four were shocking and the Germans were precise in their attacks.

Lampard and Rooney need to seriously have a think about their performances this world cup and I wish people would wash away the hype with England who are consistently lacklustre. The press are hounding after the manager but it is the players that are to blame. New blood coming through, any good? No, no Messi's in there, no brutal ability.

The Germans though, their right back and goalie are going to get a work out with Argentina/Mexico that will showcase how nervous and positionally poor they are.

Goal line technology as I mentioned before cannot be implemented at all levels of the sport. FIFA have issues with evolving and imposing new rules and regs, why I don't know but you have to respect the rules as they are and get on with it whilst FIFA roll around in a shit-load of millions of profit.

What is interesting this tournament is the lack of the big names actually coming up to their billing.

I'm positive the Uk would have won if it was 2-2.

I really don't think so....... in fact based on what I saw that statement is completely absurd !

We (England) were an absolute shambles......... again. :-(

Coming from 2-0 and going to 2-2 within 2-3 minutes does A LOT.

I'm positive it would boost their performance to win the game, Germany was good I must admit but still ... :)

Who wears the 13 jersey for Germany, Klose? He's unbelievably fast for his age, especially if this is his 3rd tournament.

Here we go again (Argentina V Mexico) more controversy. Just about everyone involved in football wants technology to be used in the sport, it's just that Sepp Blatter DOESN'T want it, and he's the top man at FIFA.

In spite of yet another bad call in the Arg-Mex game (Arg 1st goal) you have to notice the dramatic difference in players than the US guys. World Class football being played now. Just look at the poise in the box and how these guys are finishing. Dangerously good football. Just so achingly painful to watch so many horrible calls...

FIFA is a cluster of idiots.

How DO YOU say "from bad to worse," in Spanish? LOL

Just mind-blowing how such a disgraceful goal can stand with so many people watching at home and the 95 or so thousand in the stands.

Tevez should be ashamed of himself. I understand it's his right to score a goal even if he was 10 feet off-side, but he should have kept his mouth shut afterward. Instead, he goes on to protest that a clearly illegal goal should stand.

We the true Football fans want Sepp Blatter's job on a silver fcuking platter.

Goal line technology as I mentioned before cannot be implemented at all levels of the sport.

Who says they have to? Just make it mandatory for the World Cup, European Champ and such big events, and optional for smaller events and national leagues.

Need some help on a translation from SPANISH speakers.

What does "sige" mean?

I like watching the Mexican broadcasts and the commentator always says it when someone drives the ball past defenders. Thanks

Need some help on a translation from SPANISH speakers.

What does "sige" mean?

I like watching the Mexican broadcasts and the commentator always says it when someone drives the ball past defenders. Thanks

Proceed or continue.

How DO YOU say "from bad to worse," in Spanish? LOL

Just mind-blowing how such a disgraceful goal can stand with so many people watching at home and the 95 or so thousand in the stands.

Tevez should be ashamed of himself. I understand it's his right to score a goal even if he was 10 feet off-side, but he should have kept his mouth shut afterward. Instead, he goes on to protest that a clearly illegal goal should stand.

We the true Football fans want Sepp Blatter's job on a silver fcuking platter.

Is he off-sides even if it wasn't intended to be a pass? Perhaps I saw it wrong, but wasn't there a legitimate pass made which was broken up by the goalie, but then a chip shot made on the rebound just happened to be headed in with more force?

Is he off-sides even if it wasn't intended to be a pass? Perhaps I saw it wrong, but wasn't there a legitimate pass made which was broken up by the goalie, but then a chip shot made on the rebound just happened to be headed in with more force?

They can't officiate the intended purpose of a players action. This isn't a "room for interpretation thing," it's just black and white.

Tevez was off-sides by a good one and a half meters, there were two defenders drawing him into an illegal position when he received the ball. If he had let the ball be without touching it, there wouldn't be any problems.

I still think he could have finished it, just should have let the ball fall and the defenders go past him.

Germany dominating like it usually does in the history of the tournament.

Impressive vs a tough opponent.

I thought Germany's play was just solid; no amazing, jaw-dropping performances. England's virtually absent defence gave them some outrageous opportunities, which being a solid team they capitalised on.

I didn't think I'd ever seen England play as badly as they did against Algeria, but this was on a whole new level of awfulness. Presumably a lot of the problem has to be that several key players aren't being fielded in their customary positions on the pitch, and Capello's been making some head-scratching decisions about the lineup throughout the competition (I don't know what lunacy gripped him when he subbed Defoe for Heskey)... but ultimately, most of the players were absolutely dreadful and should be ashamed of themselves. They're a disgrace.

So, no. Tough opponent my arse. In my opinion Germany need to pull something considerably punchier out of the bag to beat Argentina; this was an easy win.

OK Capt. Chaos, do you still think the game is fine without goal line sensors installed in the goal? Without replay or another set of officiating eyes?

The result not withstanding since we're only halfway through the 1st half; this World Cup has been a display of how poor and weak the traditional rules and standards of the game has let down the quality of a fair and honest competition. It has left not only the casual fan but the die-hard frustrated, baffled and even cheated. At least that's how I feel

I'm seriously finding it hard to continue to enjoy the sport after seeing such poor results due to lack of quality officiating at what is supposed to be the highest level of the sport (of players AND officials). Like we have seen in all OTHER sports, as the game progresses so must the technology and rules. Football has clearly fallen short of this.

Very disappointing...

Germany made sure that Lampard couldn't cling on that by finding the net few extra times :icon_mrgreen:

It agree with you it does suck, video referring should be used in those instances for sure!

2 orrible mistakes that likely changed the result of these matches

for both England and Mexico this could have been a total different match...

i was not impressed by the quality of the refs in other matches but these 2 are as bad as they can...they made me remember the "legendary" Moreno from Italia-Corea in 2002 WC

Mexico plaied great soccer yesterday...i think without the first "goal" they could have won the match :(

these blown calls are 'tainting' this entire world cup t-ment. I walked away from the England - Germany match at halftime....after that horrible 'no goal' call, I just can't watch the rest of the game. Forget tradition and suggesting the players just have to 'suck it up' and get on with playing...these calls are just too IMPACT. Get a fcuking camera FIFA and put it in the freakin goal. A red light signal, like NHL hockey.

I HATE the official 'factor' in soccer/futbol :eusa_wall:

And so how does FIFA respond to all the controversy??!!!!!

Stop showing replays on the big screens. What a joke...

'JOHANNESBURG -- FIFA will censor World Cup match action being shown on giant screens inside the stadium after replays of Argentina's disputed first goal against Mexico fueled arguments on the pitch.

Angry Mexico players protested to referee Roberto Rosetti after the screens in Johannesburg's Soccer City showed Argentina forward Carlos Tevez was offside before he scored the opening goal in a 3-1 victory on Sunday.

Jeff Bradley: In front of their very eyes

Jones Unfortunately, there's no turning back a call, even when players and coaches see the video evidence, writes ESPN The Magazine's Jeff Bradley. Story

FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said Monday that replaying the incident was "a clear mistake."

"This will be corrected and we will have a closer look into that," Maingot told a news conference Monday. "We will work on this and be a bit more, I would say, tight on this for the games to be played."

Maingot said the screens were used to broadcast a FIFA "infotainment program" to fans before the match and could be used to replay some match action.

Responsibility for operating the screens falls to South Africa's World Cup organizing committee, which took charge of the 10 stadiums during the tournament.

Organizers' spokesman Jermaine Craig said he had spoken to the stadium broadcasting team about the incident.

"The goal was awarded and it happened relatively quickly," Craig said. "In retrospect, maybe it shouldn't have been shown. It was shown and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that."'

I still think he could have finished it, just should have let the ball fall and the defenders go past him.

No, Tevez was offside at the moment the ball was played. Regardless of whether the opposing players get back in front of him, if he plays the ball, he's offside. He's still offside even if he doesn't play the ball, but the referee can decide that a player is not interfering in play. It's a bit of a convoluted rule!

Coming from 2-0 and going to 2-2 within 2-3 minutes does A LOT.

I'm positive it would boost their performance to win the game, Germany was good I must admit but still ... :)

Who wears the 13 jersey for Germany, Klose? He's unbelievably fast for his age, especially if this is his 3rd tournament.

Player with the nr. 13 is Thomas Mueller, 20 years old in his first world cup. It´s his first year as professional player and he rocks!!

Klose´s got nr. 11 and is in his third world cup. He´s 32 and won the award for most goals in 2006 and was second in 2002. I hope he continues in this way ! :-)

No, Tevez was offside at the moment the ball was played. Regardless of whether the opposing players get back in front of him, if he plays the ball, he's offside. He's still offside even if he doesn't play the ball, but the referee can decide that a player is not interfering in play. It's a bit of a convoluted rule!

You're not understanding me, a player is NOT off-side UNTIL he plays the ball. His position doesn't matter relative to other players and the ball until he touches it.

I'm saying, he should have let the ball fall, the opposing players would have rushed passed him to try and keep the ball out of the net, at that point, he's no longer off-side, and can do what he wants in the ensuing confusion.

You're not understanding me, a player is NOT off-side UNTIL he plays the ball. His position doesn't matter relative to other players and the ball until he touches it.

As SAB said, if he is interfering the game, i.e. blocking the keeper etc, he is offside. He does not have to touch the ball.