458 vs 9ff GT2 with

kane00

Well they say every 1/10 of a second in the 1/4 is 2 car lengths... A Gallardo needs 4 shifts through the 1/4... If the same exact car can shift 1/10 of a second faster thats 8 car lengths in the 1/4.

is this 1/10th with respect to ET or 1/10th with respect to acceleration (ie 0-60 in 4.5 vs 4.4 seconds)?

I havent done the math yet :D but something tells me being quicker to a speed interval (ie 0.1 seconds to 120 mph) doesnt mean you will be 0.1 seconds quicker distance wise. What im trying to figure out is, if a Gallardo can get to 125 mph with 4 0.1 second shifts, then with a dual clutch it could potentially get to 125 mph 0.4 seconds quicker, but does that really mean it would cover the 1/4 mile 0.4 seconds quicker?

I think what this video showed and what Mako is trying to get at, is that given Lambo's tight budgets, they're better off developing a better chassis, engine or AWD system than putting money towards a system that still works.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this 1/10th with respect to ET or 1/10th with respect to acceleration (ie 0-60 in 4.5 vs 4.4 seconds)?

I havent done the math yet :D but something tells me being quicker to a speed interval (ie 0.1 seconds to 120 mph) doesnt mean you will be 0.1 seconds quicker distance wise. What im trying to figure out is, if a Gallardo can get to 125 mph with 4 0.1 second shifts, then with a dual clutch it could potentially get to 125 mph 0.4 seconds quicker, but does that really mean it would cover the 1/4 mile 0.4 seconds quicker?

I think what this video showed and what Mako is trying to get at, is that given Lambo's tight budgets, they're better off developing a better chassis, engine or AWD system than putting money towards a system that still works.

If Lamborghini worked on active differentials like WRC cars, they would probably blow away rivals on a track.

• 1 month later...

I think this is a different video,

911 Turbo (997) Evotech (630 HP) vs LP550-2 Valentino Balboni

Balboni is really fast!

If Lamborghini worked on active differentials like WRC cars, they would probably blow away rivals on a track.

Was thinking that exact thought after watching that recent 5th Gear review of the the 570SL, where Plato or whatever his name is said the front diff hunts and clanks and somewhat disrupts the car mid-corner as it seems to be trying to figure out when to transfer power and how much...

I think this is a different video,

911 Turbo (997) Evotech (630 HP) vs LP550-2 Valentino Balboni

Balboni is really fast!

WTF?

How is that possible?

Must be something wrong with this vid!

All these track time comparisons for street cars are ridiculous. I've never been interuppted mid-commute for a road course race to the death. All that has to matter is that it feels exhilerating on the street.

Besides, street cars are always slow and useless on track compared to proper track cars.

That 911 weighs how much? 3500+ vs the Balboni trim weight 3042 tells the story. If it was a GT2 version with 630hp the Balboni would have been toast. Love the Balboni. Impressive for a stocker vs modded.

In reality they probably both weigh about th same, give or take a few pounds

You are refering to the 458 vs Balboni and not the 911 TT vs Balboni I mentioned in my post before yours Im assuming. If so I agree. Weight difference between Balboni and 458 is negligeble. Would be nice to see a G with a comparable tranny against the 458 as some have mentioned. That may be the difference here. Gotta love the old platform still taking names.