My 570 Superleggera has arrived and I'm not there to pick it up!!!

Fortis, I just booked the trip myself. Not a ton to it. The biggest hassle was getting the car shipped over, obviously. But even that was relatively pain free.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new toy!. And thanks for taking one for the team (living the way that you have been, that is....) :eek3dance:

Oh'I have learnt a new word, I Thunk.....

Congrats on the 570 DHH. I'll gladly take time off work to pick it up for you and keep it in nice warm home until you arrive.

If you get a chance, could you answer the following?

Who did you use to ship?

Did they deal with pick-up/drop-off/importing issues?

How long did it take and where could you pick it up?

What did it cost?

What did you do for insurance?

Any hurdles?

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Fortis, I just booked the trip myself. Not a ton to it. The biggest hassle was getting the car shipped over, obviously. But even that was relatively pain free.

That sounds good, it would be nice to do it in a small group 3 to 4 Lambos.

I am busy this year and maybe the first half of next year but late next year I really want to do something similar.

Have a fun and safe trip.

Drove through the Stelvio pass today. Just incredible. Breathtaking views, almost no traffic, and windy roads and sharp turns galore.

Stelvio just rocks.

One more shipping question after you've answered Brian's. Did you ship it in a container or roll-on/roll-off?

One more shipping question after you've answered Brian's. Did you ship it in a container or roll-on/roll-off?

post # 24, looks like he used a container.

I think it would be safer for you to ship your cars in a container Sprite, you can be there when the seal is placed on your container at loading and be at the port of destination to break the seal, that way you can make sure no transport company employes will joyride your car.

You MUST use a container. Roll on/roll off is insane for a car like a Lamborghini. Very good chance of it ending up trashed when it arrives. Lots of people will have to drive your car.

Shipping from the US to the UK, talk to this girl:

Irine Royzen

Penbroke Marine Services Inc

Cartainer Ocean Line Inc

975 East Linden Avenue

Linden, NJ 07036

Tel: 908-862-2262 x 110 Fax: 908-862-2848

Email: [email protected]

[email protected]

The quote: "20' container from Linden, NJ to Felixstowe, UK is $ 2285 - this rate includes: ocean freight, container loading, container drayage, US export customs clearance, Int'l Mailing"

You need insurance on top of that, usually around 1% of declared value.

Then on the UK side of things, you need someone to deal with customs and picking up the container. I used [email protected]. It cost 600 pounds for them to handle the receiving side.

I picked the car up in Felixstowe myself. Rolled it right out of the container. Nobody on the UK side ever touched the car. (If you're willing to deliver the car yourself to NJ, then you can do the same on the US side).

The car has to be at the port a couple of days before sailing. Then sail time is somewhere between 8 and 30 days, depending on which ship you get. My boat only took 9 days this time. But I'm told that it'll take 30(!) days to get home. Then they need a couple of days on the UK side of things to clear customs.

For on-road insurance, I just did liability insurance. In Europe, it's apparently only the Netherlands and Germany that offers EU insurance for foreign cars. You can also get full coverage, but it's very, very expensive (I was quoted $3000 for just a month). So I just took the gamble that I wasn't going to total my car :). Liability was 400 euro for 30 days. Talk to [email protected].

Return trip is going through the same people plus http://www.faunaandflora.com/ for clearing US customs.

Also, do note that you can ONLY ship a car that has a clear title in your name. And you have to have the real title to give to the shipper. Otherwise the car can't leave the country.

It sounds a bit like a hassle, but in reality it really wasn't too bad. The total cost will end up being $8-10K roundtrip with everything. Certainly not an insignificant amount of money, but there's no alternative if you want to put down thousands of miles in an exotic in Europe. So far it's been overwhelmingly worth it!

Perfect - thank you so much for the info. I was talking it over with my wife about how we could do this and who would be best to contact. And now I know.

Have a fun trip

g

You MUST use a container. Roll on/roll off is insane for a car like a Lamborghini. Very good chance of it ending up trashed when it arrives. Lots of people will have to drive your car.

Irine Royzen

Cartainer Ocean Line Inc

975 East Linden Avenue

Linden, NJ 07036

Tel: 908-862-2262 x 110 Fax: 908-862-2848

[email protected]

The quote: "20' container from Linden, NJ to Felixstowe, UK is $ 2285 - this rate includes: ocean freight, container loading, container drayage, US export customs clearance, Int'l Mailing"

Then on the UK side of things, you need someone to deal with customs and picking up the container. I used [email protected]. It cost 600 pounds for them to handle the receiving side.

I picked the car up in Felixstowe myself. Rolled it right out of the container. Nobody on the UK side ever touched the car. (If you're willing to deliver the car yourself to NJ, then you can do the same on the US side).

The car has to be at the port a couple of days before sailing. Then sail time is somewhere between 8 and 30 days, depending on which ship you get. My boat only took 9 days this time. But I'm told that it'll take 30(!) days to get home. Then they need a couple of days on the UK side of things to clear customs.

For on-road insurance, I just did liability insurance. In Europe, it's apparently only the Netherlands and Germany that offers EU insurance for foreign cars. You can also get full coverage, but it's very, very expensive (I was quoted $3000 for just a month). So I just took the gamble that I wasn't going to total my car :). Liability was 400 euro for 30 days. Talk to [email protected].

Return trip is going through the same people plus http://www.faunaandflora.com/ for clearing US customs.

Also, do note that you can ONLY ship a car that has a clear title in your name. And you have to have the real title to give to the shipper. Otherwise the car can't leave the country.

It sounds a bit like a hassle, but in reality it really wasn't too bad. The total cost will end up being $8-10K roundtrip with everything. Certainly not an insignificant amount of money, but there's no alternative if you want to put down thousands of miles in an exotic in Europe. So far it's been overwhelmingly worth it!

Hey you've been to Denmark? :D Should have known, would have shown you the ropes here. Hope you had a good time here, albeit it was probably short :D Do you have pics from here?

Hey you've been to Denmark? :D Should have known, would have shown you the ropes here. Hope you had a good time here, albeit it was probably short :D Do you have pics from here?

Spent 4 days in Copenhagen. Lots of looks for the 560 :D.

Being Danish, I spent 25 years in the country before going to the US, though!

Congrads. Beautiful car. Hopefully I'll catch a glimpse of it somewhere on the streets one of these days.

Irine Royzen

Cartainer Ocean Line Inc

975 East Linden Avenue

Linden, NJ 07036

Tel: 908-862-2262 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              908-862-2262      end_of_the_skype_highlighting x 110 Fax: 908-862-2848

[email protected]

Just saw your update. Thanks a bunch. I will definitely do container then.

Lamborghinis: Orange LP-640 roadster, Green LP-570 SL, White LP-560

Daily drivers : Aston Martin DBS, Porsche Panamera S

Race cars : Cayman S Interseries, Spec Miata, Lotus 2-11, Porsche 997.2 GT3

Other : TBA (very special)

hmm, that might be interesting :eusa_think: :)

Spent 4 days in Copenhagen. Lots of looks for the 560 :D.

Being Danish, I spent 25 years in the country before going to the US, though!

Haha, nå ja så er det ikke nødvendigt at vise dig noget som helst - du kender det hele :D - Tillykke med din succes, det er en imponerende bunke biler du ejer. Successfuld virksomhedsejer eller?