Apple's way

dtxfree

If they had spend a $100 million on a lab for testing antennas, and "thousands of hours" as they say they do, then they would have put the antenna in a place where my hand wouldn't block it.

Perhaps if they had a decent carrier it would help solves the problem.

Why not fix the problem instead of doing a big campaign showing all their competitors phones have the same problem?

After Apple said that all phones have problems from holding them in different ways I tried it with my Curve. I tried a few different ways and it never experienced any problems.

Why not fix the problem instead of doing a big campaign showing all their competitors phones have the same problem?

After Apple said that all phones have problems from holding them in different ways I tried it with my Curve. I tried a few different ways and it never experienced any problems.

I have tried it on my iPhone 4 every way I can think of, and no matter what it wont drop signal?? But it does drop on my daughters iPhone 3G, and also my other daughters 2G. You never heard of the older phones having this problem though? Very weird deal....... I just thought it was curious that they put the Droid X and other main competitors phones on their website. I know they are showing faults in them, but Apple usually ignores other products and brands especially on their website.

I have tried it on my iPhone 4 every way I can think of, and no matter what it wont drop signal?? But it does drop on my daughters iPhone 3G, and also my other daughters 2G. You never heard of the older phones having this problem though? Very weird deal....... I just thought it was curious that they put the Droid X and other main competitors phones on their website. I know they are showing faults in them, but Apple usually ignores other products and brands especially on their website.

Yea I dont know how big of an issue it truly is because I remember you saying you didnt have the problem with yours. But I would think it would be an issue if the company is working as hard as they appear to, to solving it/shifting blame.

Very arrogant imo.

Yes, nothing is even close to the iPhone's numbers, all the Droids and other nonsense handsets out there combined don't equal even a quarter of the marketshare the iPhone has right now (don't believe the bullshit from third parties that say "activations" are close, or any other metric, the reality is that the iPhone has been a 3:1 or 4:1 favorite over everything else for over a year now, it is that dominant). Only RIM, specifically in the Enterprise space, can claim any sort of parity with the iPhone on a day-to-day basis.

However, I would remind Jobs of one particularly harsh lesson of tech history that has happened repeatedly over the past 30 years:

No closed system has ever survived over the long term against an open-environment competitor.

Eventually the iPhone will be toppled in sales figures by something else on an open platform. That day isn't today, nor is it next year, or the year after. But...eventually...someone from MS, or HTC, or Google, or a startup, or whomever, WILL exceed whatever combination of app-store/hardware/service that Apple's product offers at that time.

The market will get tired of having to march to Jobs' we-know-what's-best tune, such as the petty and childish fight with Adobe over Flash, or Job's personal crusade against adult-themed applications.

Things like antenna-gate make the day when the iPhone becomes the next Myspace-to-someone-else's-Facebook approach more rapidly...

No closed system has ever survived over the long term against an open-environment competitor.

Eventually the iPhone will be toppled in sales figures by something else on an open platform. That day isn't today, nor is it next year, or the year after. But...eventually...someone from MS, or HTC, or Google, or a startup, or whomever, WILL exceed whatever combination of app-store/hardware/service that Apple's product offers at that time.

The market will get tired of having to march to Jobs' we-know-what's-best tune, such as the petty and childish fight with Adobe over Flash, or Job's personal crusade against adult-themed applications.

Things like antenna-gate make the day when the iPhone becomes the next Myspace-to-someone-else's-Facebook approach more rapidly...

Hey I have been telling people those exact same words for awhile now, they all laugh at me. I cant wait to say "I told you so."

Yes, nothing is even close to the iPhone's numbers, all the Droids and other nonsense handsets out there combined don't equal even a quarter of the marketshare the iPhone has right now

Are you talking about US only? 'Cause worldwide iPhone has a 15% marketshare or something IIRC.

Anyway, Samsung's answer to Apple antenna bashing:

galaxy_s_iphone.jpg

Are you talking about US only? 'Cause worldwide iPhone has a 15% marketshare or something IIRC.

Anyway, Samsung's answer to Apple antenna bashing:

Well, that's only the Smart Phones Market Shares.

Smartphone_share_2009_full.png

As Mobile phone goes, Nokia has 35-37% shares, Samsung has 20-22%, then LG 8-9%, Sony erricsons, black berry, Motorola and others, Apples probably has less than 0.1% of the mobile phone market shares.

The reason for that is most of the world can't afford smart phones and to be honest I hardly use my phone to send emails and surfing the web. Which means, you don't really need a smart phone. Non of my friends in China got a Iphone, actually, they don'[t have many smart phones at all. And perharps only less than 20% of the people I know in NZ got smart phones and 10%-20% smart phone users got a Iphone. Well, in America is probably a different story.

I agree, but one major thing apple has going for it is itunes(apps, movies, music,books). They are far ahead of the competition in online media retailing. Most of my friends that use blackberry's and android phones can appreciate the compatibility and ease of use of itunes with the iphone. Until other handset manufacturers match the library and usability of itunes, apple should continue to eat up market share for a while.

Another wild card in the apple saga that I think will help them is the millions (maybe as much as 100 million?) of future iphone users in training that apple has in its pocket. The ipod absolutely dominates the mp3 player/video player market. My 2 daughters both were ipod touch users, so when it came time to get them phones they were only interested in the iphone. I tried to get them small cheaper flip type phones but they begged and begged for iphone's. We ended up passing down our old phones to them, but even if their parents didn't use iphones I think they would have demanded them. Something to think about going forward......

It will be interesting to see if the future holds the same fate for apple as it did for other companies that were in the same position. Companies like GM, US Steel, Palm, RCA/Victor, Atari all were at the top, and eventually fell to fractions of what they once were, but apple has something they didn't have, almost instant competition. Apple didn't have a 5, 10, or 15 year head start like other innovators. Android has come out with an awesome competitive product within 1.5 years of the original iphone launch. I think this will actually end up helping apple and push them to be better. Only time will tell..... In the meantime the real winner in all of this is the end user, we can all be happy about that!!

The reason for that is most of the world can't afford smart phones and to be honest I hardly use my phone to send emails and surfing the web. Which means, you don't really need a smart phone. Non of my friends in China got a Iphone, actually, they don'[t have many smart phones at all. And perharps only less than 20% of the people I know in NZ got smart phones and 10%-20% smart phone users got a Iphone. Well, in America is probably a different story.

This is true but 15 years ago most of the people you are talking about did not have personal computers either. I bet most do now.... eventually all phones will be "smart" and these phones will continue to get cheaper and cheaper until everyone has one. The question is what mobile OS will be the system running on these new cheaper smart phones? My bet will be Android. Symbian will have to make major changes to be a future player.

Our children will probably only check emails on mobile devices!

This is true but 15 years ago most of the people you are talking about did not have personal computers either. I bet most do now.... eventually all phones will be "smart" and these phones will continue to get cheaper and cheaper until everyone has one. The question is what mobile OS will be the system running on these new cheaper smart phones? My bet will be Android. Symbian will have to make major changes to be a future player.

Our children will probably only check emails on mobile devices!

Yeh, right now, the data plans in most of the world are too expensive as well.

I agree that smart phones will be cheap soon, and hopefully everyone can afford them and afford to use them. but unless they have new revolutionary design, I still prefer to write my emails on computer keyboard tho. Maybe that's just me.

I've only had my Samsung Galaxy S for a day now, but so far I like it better than my iPhone (but that shouldn't be a surprise since I don't like my iPhone at all).

One thing I hate about my Samsung is that there is no indicator light (but the iPhone doesn't have it either). I really like the red blinking indicator on BBs.

I've only had my Samsung Galaxy S for a day now, but so far I like it better than my iPhone (but that shouldn't be a surprise since I don't like my iPhone at all).

One thing I hate about my Samsung is that there is no indicator light (but the iPhone doesn't have it either). I really like the red blinking indicator on BBs.

The Samsung Galaxy S is a great phone, I played with one just today.... It is the closest thing from a hardware stance I have seen to the iphone. I was wondering when someone was just going to say F-it! Cant beat em join em :)

i love the quality of apple , i mean nobody near them in term of quality sony ericsson , samsung , black berry ( didnt try the htc ) are low qualities compared to the iphone

I just got my Android phone today(HTC Incredible), I love it. There is so much I can do with it I have been playing with it almost non stop since I got it a few hours ago, getting it all set up how I want it.

i love the quality of apple , i mean nobody near them in term of quality sony ericsson , samsung , black berry ( didnt try the htc ) are low qualities compared to the iphone

What are you basing that on exactly?

What are you basing that on exactly?

:iamwithstupid:

Build quality of my BB curve is excellent. A iphone would die 1 month in my presence.