Engine bay plastic covers turning white

BadV10

For some reason the black plastic that wraps around the engine bay are turning white. They look like they are sun bleached, but my car does not sit out in the sun, it stays in my garage. Is anyone else seeing this problem? I have a 2007 Gallardo Nera.

Someone told me to use something called "Back to Black" to correct the problem. Does anyone have any experiece with this product or any others?lamboplastic.jpg

lamboplastic1.jpg

I have the same issue, I'd like to know what to use on the plastic as well. Most things I've tried have only lasted for a couple of drives.

I have the same issue, I'd like to know what to use on the plastic as well. Most things I've tried have only lasted for a couple of drives.

What did you use so I know what not to use?

I tried the turtle wax and armorall plastics products and one other that I'll have a look for tonight, can't remember the brand.

What did you use so I know what not to use?

I tried the turtle wax and armorall plastics products and one other that I'll have a look for tonight, can't remember the brand.

Mine has the same issue too. I think it is a combination of engine heat and the plastic parts being exposed to sunlight. I have a glass bonnet and both sides around it are turning grey.

I used 303 on mine and had no problems with turning colors, it UV protects as well... I think you could probably use some black coloring products, similar to a bumper product to bring back the color...

I noticed the same issue with mine. It looks like it is streaked from the rainwater and soapy water that goes into the hatch when washing the car. What is 303?

I went to the auto parts store today and bought Mother's Back to Black. It's made for exterior plastics that have faded. I applied it and it looks good for now (like new). I'll report back on how long it holds up.

Mine has the same issue too. I think it is a combination of engine heat and the plastic parts being exposed to sunlight. I have a glass bonnet and both sides around it are turning grey.

I don't have the bonnet and mine are also turning a little grey... I think mine might be graying from washing... I'll have to try that back to black stuff.

Yo Nick I use car brite protect all just spray it on and drive keeps it nice and black ... However the plastic panels suck mine are starting to crack around the screw holes

Tim

I'll have to ask color inc what he uses. His plastics look great.

Nick

T

Instead of Back to black I highly recommend black wow It can be a little on the finicky side to work with but the results far surpass that of back to black.

I noticed the same issue with mine. It looks like it is streaked from the rainwater and soapy water that goes into the hatch when washing the car. What is 303?

I buy this stuff by the gallon for the RV also, it works good, used to use it on my plane also, but it has a shiny finish and reflects a lot beats the heck out of armor all...

http://www.303products.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the same problem. I used peanut better. Put some on a rag or paper towel and wipe the plastic. Works great. It's been a year and it is starting to fade again. Going to get the peanut butter out again.

I use Poorboy's Trim Restore and Chemical Guys Gel Extended, I would use the Chemical Guys Gel for the first couple of details it is thicker and stays on longer. After the plastic has been dressed a few times I find it didn't need as much attention and the Poorboy's Trim Restore was better and is easier to apply. After you wash wash the engine bay you will need to re-apply but this just takes a couple of extra minutes and well worth the effort. The two products I mentioned also don't attract dust which is important in a Gallardo engine bay with all the fans kicking dust up all the time.

I don't like the greasy silicone products so I stay away from Black Wow, Black Again etc.

The 303 Areospace Protectant is a good product as well, silicone free, it isn't as thick as the ones I mentioned and takes a little bit to make it not show brush strokes when applying but overall a good product I've used it for around 20 years on my vehicles.

http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/poorboys-...tore-p-268.html

http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/chemical-...life-p-532.html

http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/aerospace...73ml-p-290.html