Engine lifted out, no problems

FiveCar

So this weekend, using the engine hoist and braces that huntnphool so generously loaned me, I lifted the engine out. Overall, the job was a lot easier than I thought it'd be. None of it was difficult.

I took a lot longer than some folks because I wanted to be extra careful all the way, so I labeled everything as I went. I estimate the whole job took me about 20 hours, working leisurely, and the hoisting itself took about an hour.

Photos below. Next, it's time to check out the clutch.

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

I then took the transmission off. Good times, good times.

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

Very nicely done!!! And a beautiful car too! Thanks for the pictorial. It is inspiring in a way, even though I still don't think I have the cahoneys to do something like this.

You are a brave man! Lifting that motor out with a cherry picker hoist is too scary for me.

Anyway, good job. Feels good to do it yourself i am sure, not to mention the $$$$ saved.

You are doing a great job and thanks for the pictures! Make sure you adjust the valves and do the starter.

Did you say you had a head gasket leaking a little bit? I know that you need a new clutch.

You are doing a great job and thanks for the pictures! Make sure you adjust the valves and do the starter.

Did you say you had a head gasket leaking a little bit? I know that you need a new clutch.

I've heard many people say that the starter motor should be replaced, but when I talked with a Lambo tech, he said he basically never sees failed starters. Is it a common problem?

I do plan to adjust the valves, and may replace the head gaskets if I see any seepage.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to go with a ClutchMasters resurfaced clutch or with a Hi Tech Exotics kevlar setup. I suppose I could go with the stock clutch, but I don't want it to fail again in a year. Let me know if you've used ClutchMasters or Hi Tech before -- I've heard varying opinions on the relative benefits of each.

Thanks, everyone!

Oh -- and if there are specific photos you'd like me to take while the engine is out, let me know.

Good Job!

My starter did fail but I was able to fix with the motor in the car. I did buy a rebuilt one (from the Katrina car) I will replace it if I ever pull my motor.

I have Hi Tech Exotics Kevlar clutch in my car.I've been very happy with it.It has lasted 2 times longer than my stock oem and I still have a lot clutch left.The pedal pressure is about 30% lighter.I've done a few hard take off from standstill and it held up good.It's a very strong clutch.

My starter did fail but I was able to fix with the motor in the car. I did buy a rebuilt one (from the Katrina car) I will replace it if I ever pull my motor.

Looks like a new starter motor runs $1,400 USD, which is way more than I'd want to pay just to replace it. Are there any alternatives? I didn't see any listed in the sticky parts thread...

Looks like a new starter motor runs $1,400 USD, which is way more than I'd want to pay just to replace it. Are there any alternatives? I didn't see any listed in the sticky parts thread...

$75.00 or so to rebuild it is what i paid last year on my 6.0

Worth it IMHO for the peace of mind.

I would take the money you are saving on the engine/gearbox removal and systematically replace all those hoses and lines while cleaning the engine bay, while you're in there you may as well prep it to like new condition.

Sound Starter/Alternator in Ruston rebuilt my Bosch alternator for mine Phil, great job and very very reasonable, I highly recommend them. I'm sure they would do a good job on that starter and be resonable on that too.

FYI, a few years ago while doing my engine work my buddy had done some research and if I remember correctly he cross referenced the starter to a John Deere tractor.........................lol Not sure if thats true or not but if it is that would be funny.

I would remove those immobilizer fuel solenoids on top of the gas tank for sure. Part of the security system and pretty useless, but will shut the fuel off to half the engine when they fail. Very hard to get out with the engine in.

I think I paid $100 bucks but its for sale for $1000. :icon_thumleft: Just fuckin with you :icon_mrgreen: But really it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Rebuilt the starter, as everyone suggested. The guy who did the job (AlStar in Woodinville) used to do a bunch of work on Astin Martins and Ferraris, though he hadn't seen a 98 Diablo starter. Fortunately, all the Bosch parts were available. Apparently the carbon brushes were in awesome shape, but the solenoid itself was close to failure due to dust from the clutch. Good thing I got it rebuilt -- thanks, everyone, for the suggestion.

Also did the valve adjustment, which I detailed in other threads. Went ahead and replaced a suspicious O2 sensor ("lambda sensor"). Replaced the oil seal at the end of the transmission's output shaft. Replaced the clutch with a Hi Tech Exotics kevlar one. Replaced all rubber seals with higher-temp Viton seals.

The engine is now ready to be lifted back into the car. Thanks, everyone, for all the help and support so far. This project wouldn't have been possible but for the help that many of you have given me. Especially for huntnphool loaning me an engine hoist and custom-welded metal harnesses. :)