NEW BUGATTI VEYRON 16.4 GETS EXTRA BITE

57udl3y

The world’s most incredible supercar is about to get even faster! Auto Express has learned that a quicker and lighter new Bugatti Veyron has been given the green light.

Although the VW Group has lost money on each one of the 300 coupés, 150 Grand Sports and 30 Super Sport models it’s built over the past five years, the Veyron’s status as a halo car has been worth every penny. And our sources have revealed that the German company has decided to build a new version. Backing this up, VW chairman Martin Winterkorn was recently widely reported as saying: “After 300 Bugattis, I believe we would be poorly advised if we were to allow that brand to become dormant again.”

As with the latest Bentley Continental GT and Porsche 911, the newcomer’s design will be evolutionary, but Bugatti is keen to keep the Veyron’s instantly recognisable silhouette intact. An insider has revealed that the next model could take its inspiration from a design proposal for the original Veyron penned by Walter de’Silva, current head of VW Group design, in 1999.

The dramatic prototype, which was never publicly displayed, was beaten to the punch by Hartmut Warkuss’ 18/4 Veyron concept from the 1999 Tokyo Motor Show. But its bold lines could be resurrected now that de’Silva is in charge of VW’s design direction.

Similarities include blacked-out A-pillars, creating a wraparound screen, a ‘floating’ roof that curves around to form the side air intakes, and one-piece rear light assemblies. Taking a leaf out of the current Veyron Super Sport’s book, the car will feature a smooth roof surface to give slippery aerodynamics, perforated with ducts to aid cooling.

Under the skin, Bugatti is likely to stick with the existing quad-turbo 8.0-litre W16 engine and seven-speed twin-clutch gearbox, both tweaked for efficiency. Considering that the current car churns out 596g/km of CO2, though, it is unlikely to win any green awards.

Power output will at least match the Super Sport’s – at around 1,200bhp and 1,500Nm of torque – but performance will take a big leap forward. Expect a scorching 0-62mph time of less than 2.5 seconds and a new record-setting top speed of 270mph. This jump will be made possible by saving weight; tipping the scales at 1,838kg, even the Super Sport is hardly light, so the new Veyron will make use of another VW-owned manufacturer’s know-how.

Lamborghini is quickly becoming a carbon-composite expert, and the cheaper and quicker-to-make alternative to carbon fibre weave will be used for all the Bugatti’s bodywork, much of the interior trim and the monocoque chassis. Lightweight alloys and thinner but stronger glass will also contribute to a kerbweight reduction of around 100kg, so boosting pace, efficiency and handling in one fell swoop. Meanwhile, carrying over many parts from the Veyron’s predecessor should dramatically reduce development time and slash costs. And although the firm is still unlikely to turn a profit on each car, that is less of a problem than you’d think. Speaking exclusively to Auto Express, Dr Franz-Josef Paefgen, former Bentley and Bugatti boss, explained why: “It costs far more money to compete in a season of F1 than to run Bugatti.”

Now that production of the current Veyron is grinding to a halt, development of its successor is expected to get underway immediately. We’ll see the newcomer for the first time in 2013, before it goes on sale the following year priced at around £1million.

link

and here are the stupid pretend renderings that are not real at all:

car_photo_413932_25.jpg

car_photo_413929_25.jpg

Happy to see VAG is still crazy enough to keep Bugatti moving forward.

From the insane Rock of Galibrier to "Veyron 2: Electric Boogaloo", it's great to have the marque out there setting the outrageous bar even higher.

Glad they will keep it going. I would figure though as well as the previous model sold, there has to be a point where they start to MAKE money on it.

IE:

R&D: $100,000,000 rough estimate=$208,320 per car in cost at 480 units.

Product Costs and Labor per car at 100 units would be say $1,000,000. They are charging close to $1,800,000 last I checked.

If they were originally intending on building 250 cars lets say with this bodystyle/engine/chassis, and they have now done 480 iterations, and have upped the

original price substantially on various models-Roadster, Pur Sang, Sang Noir, Hermes Edition, etc., it can't be too long for them to be out of the red.

how much does it cost in Australia?

it is not available because they don't make it in right hand drive.

If I had to guess based on our taxes it would cost somewhere between $4 to $5mil

I think it looks great but am i the only one that sees GTR in it?

NO YOU ARE NOT!!!!

Matter of fact I would thinking maybe someone should pass the pics on to Nissan engineers!!

and here are the stupid pretend renderings that are not real at all:

Yeah, I figured as much. I'd get excited, but we don't really know where they are going with it just yet. I had hoped an improved rear end or engine cover shape, but nope. The grille on the front still reminds me of seeing video of a woman remove her prosthetic nose.

the rear valance is nice, the tails make me think of the 370z meets pontiac solstice a little.

NEW BUGATTI VEYRON 16.4 GETS EXTRA BITE

by BUGATTI News on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 2:31pm

The world’s most incredible supercar is about to get even faster! Auto Express has learned that a quicker and lighter new Bugatti Veyron has been given the green light.

Although the VW Group has lost money on each one of the 300 coupés, 150 Grand Sports and 30 Super Sport models it’s built over the past five years, the Veyron’s status as a halo car has been worth every penny. And our sources have revealed that the German company has decided to build a new version. Backing this up, VW chairman Martin Winterkorn was recently widely reported as saying: “After 300 Bugattis, I believe we would be poorly advised if we were to allow that brand to become dormant again.”

As with the latest Bentley Continental GT and Porsche 911, the newcomer’s design will be evolutionary, but Bugatti is keen to keep the Veyron’s instantly recognisable silhouette intact. An insider has revealed that the next model could take its inspiration from a design proposal for the original Veyron penned by Walter de’Silva, current head of VW Group design, in 1999.

The dramatic prototype, which was never publicly displayed, was beaten to the punch by Hartmut Warkuss’ 18/4 Veyron concept from the 1999 Tokyo Motor Show. But its bold lines could be resurrected now that de’Silva is in charge of VW’s design direction.

Similarities include blacked-out A-pillars, creating a wraparound screen, a ‘floating’ roof that curves around to form the side air intakes, and one-piece rear light assemblies. Taking a leaf out of the current Veyron Super Sport’s book, the car will feature a smooth roof surface to give slippery aerodynamics, perforated with ducts to aid cooling.

Under the skin, Bugatti is likely to stick with the existing quad-turbo 8.0-litre W16 engine and seven-speed twin-clutch gearbox, both tweaked for efficiency. Considering that the current car churns out 596g/km of CO2, though, it is unlikely to win any green awards.

Power output will at least match the Super Sport’s – at around 1,200bhp and 1,500Nm of torque – but performance will take a big leap forward. Expect a scorching 0-62mph time of less than 2.5 seconds and a new record-setting top speed of 270mph. This jump will be made possible by saving weight; tipping the scales at 1,838kg, even the Super Sport is hardly light, so the new Veyron will make use of another VW-owned manufacturer’s know-how.

Lamborghini is quickly becoming a carbon-composite expert, and the cheaper and quicker-to-make alternative to carbon fibre weave will be used for all the Bugatti’s bodywork, much of the interior trim and the monocoque chassis. Lightweight alloys and thinner but stronger glass will also contribute to a kerbweight reduction of around 100kg, so boosting pace, efficiency and handling in one fell swoop. Meanwhile, carrying over many parts from the Veyron’s predecessor should dramatically reduce development time and slash costs. And although the firm is still unlikely to turn a profit on each car, that is less of a problem than you’d think. Speaking exclusively to Auto Express, Dr Franz-Josef Paefgen, former Bentley and Bugatti boss, explained why: “It costs far more money to compete in a season of F1 than to run Bugatti.”

Now that production of the current Veyron is grinding to a halt, development of its successor is expected to get underway immediately. We’ll see the newcomer for the first time in 2013, before it goes on sale the following year priced at around £1million.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/bugatti-news...32893096?ref=nf

If you rubes keep commenting on the looks from those pics I'm going to delete them. They have nothing to do with the next Veyron whatsoever.

Mako, the title of this thread contains "rumors" and the entire article is speculation so any replies carry about the same weight. We all pretty much know at this point that 3rd party renders don't mean much to the final product but that does not mean we can't critique design inspiration.

Mako, the title of this thread contains "rumors" and the entire article is speculation so any replies carry about the same weight. We all pretty much know at this point that 3rd party renders don't mean much to the final product but that does not mean we can't critique design inspiration.

"Rumors" doesn't help much in getting through to the readership, they tend to see a big headline, click it, read the first two sentences of the post, then scroll to the pics. Which is then followed by a mad rush to then add their 2-cents on the image as if the pics had been researched and vetted by the Washington Post. :icon_mrgreen:

I'd agree with you if it was actually "design inspiration", but unfortunately it's not. Instead it's a mag-intern's fantasy that has no bearing in reality. A Hot Wheels artist could probably get closer to whatever the car winds up being...

nice LFA rims chops.

Why do I not believe 270 mph? is it worth developing a new car just to go another 3 mph?

Instead it's a mag-intern's fantasy that has no bearing in reality. A Hot Wheels artist could probably get closer to whatever the car winds up being...
that's what I meant by 3rd party, and I agree, HotWheels could probably come up with something better.

Why do I not believe 270 mph? is it worth developing a new car just to go another 3 mph?
Actually didn't it hit a verified 268mph around July 4th last year? I'd figure that they would probably want a more streetable car than a behemoth with the new one mainly going for balance as opposed to top speed anyway, but that is just my thoughts on the subject. I thought the next next Gallardo was going the same route too, lighter and more "tossable" not that a Bugatti would ever be tossed, or that the owners buy that car for tossability. I would not call a Bugatti owner a "tosser" ;) The Bug is no slouch, though it looks like a bizarre work of art, it is f'ing fast and 0-60 at an ungodly rate, so what really is there to improve on? All the hype may be to justify a new production run of cars, and I don't think that any potential buyer would back away thinking "well it is only 2mph faster than the SS".