And you thought you knew every possible way to

Mako

I have this feeling that if enough downforce is generated on that wing, it's going to rip off...Why design a wing that attaches via tension compared to compression???

Engineer here. My best guess -

By the looks of it, they wanted specific placement for the wing itself with regards to its distance horizontally from the rear wheels as well as height when compared to the roof-line. Mounting in the traditional method would have created too much horizontal force due to the angle on the mounting brace and would have resulted in higher tension forces than the pictured arrangement.

I could be completely off base however.

I have this feeling that if enough downforce is generated on that wing, it's going to rip off...Why design a wing that attaches via tension compared to compression???

I'm definitely not an engineer... but aren't front wings on F1 cars also suspended? So maybe it looks worse than it really is? :eusa_think: I don't really know.

ta_article_631.jpg

Acura%20Sports%20Car%20Challenge%20St%20Petersburg%20Practice%20ODkVusRmZpTl.jpg

if you look close acura as been using that on their le mans car for a few years now, not as extreme but similar concept

Engineer here. My best guess -

By the looks of it, they wanted specific placement for the wing itself with regards to its distance horizontally from the rear wheels as well as height when compared to the roof-line. Mounting in the traditional method would have created too much horizontal force due to the angle on the mounting brace and would have resulted in higher tension forces than the pictured arrangement.

I could be completely off base however.

No engineer here, but this sounds very reasonable. I also wondered whether the center supports might serve as additional vertical elements to the end plates that further manage airflow at and behind the car's rear. Perhaps something that exploits a rules loophole: i.e. vertical winglets in the center of the wing not allowed, but "supports" that happen to extend by "necessity" above the plane of the wing, a gray zone.

I could more easily be off base, however.

Was thinking more of the aerofoil/wing surface itself, having a clean underside outweighs the greater front area of the brackets? Just a thought.

Ahh, gotcha. That is always a possibility.