FBI seizes Ferrari F50, keeps it 5 years, wrecks it, refuses to pay owner...

havemercy

They are refusing to pay the insurance company, the owner was paid off many years ago.

At any rate they should definitely pony up on full replacement value and sell the car for w/e they can to recoup as much cost as they can. In my gut I believe they won't ever pay a dime and the insurance co. will take the loss.

If you really want the story, go over to Fchat and read it in the super ferrari section, including RufMD's part of the story where he purchased this car from the original owner and everything that happened leading to the FBI taking the car.

Guy went for test drive in F50 from Algar ferrari, told sales man to drive back. Sales man gets out of car and customer goes racing off. Ships car to Lexington. Has insider at DMV help title car. Drives for years int he F50 working as Pilot. Fchatter buys car from former "owner" going through divorce. Takes delivery. Tries to register car with ferrari. Ferrari reports car as stolen. Fchatter gets money back from seller and gives him the car back while FBI waits patiently in order for the transaction to be reversed. FBI siezes car. FBI wrecks.

Thats it more or less. Quite a few other details though.

Guy went for test drive in F50 from Algar ferrari, told sales man to drive back. Sales man gets out of car and customer goes racing off. Ships car to Lexington. Has insider at DMV help title car. Drives for years int he F50 working as Pilot. Fchatter buys car from former "owner" going through divorce. Takes delivery. Tries to register car with ferrari. Ferrari reports car as stolen. Fchatter gets money back from seller and gives him the car back while FBI waits patiently in order for the transaction to be reversed. FBI siezes car. FBI wrecks.

Thats it more or less. Quite a few other details though.

IIRC the dealership manager let the gentleman test drive the car without any identification either based on how affluent he looked and the fact that he pulled up in a car with a driver. (i havent read the thread on F chat in a while)

IIRC the dealership manager let the gentleman test drive the car without any identification either based on how affluent he looked and the fact that he pulled up in a car with a driver. (i havent read the thread on F chat in a while)

I need to work on my affluent look...

So you can pay a kid to throw on a cheap tux, rent an S550, and they hand over the keys to an F50?

Brilliant!

me too... personally, if someone I didnt know came into my shop and wanted to take out one of our cars that was for sale, if one was for sale (from our Gallardo down to our F350) I would not only go along for the ride but make a copy of their insurance and drivers licence (as well as a backup copy of ID probably).

As far as the "affluent look" that was directly from the managers mouth. I learned long ago not to judge a book by its cover. My father worked very hard and has become an expert in his field of law and dresses WAY down on the weekends, think jeans and t-shirts. Even going to buy my mother her new BMW the dealership didnt want to give him the time of day.

me too... personally, if someone I didnt know came into my shop and wanted to take out one of our cars that was for sale, if one was for sale (from our Gallardo down to our F350) I would not only go along for the ride but make a copy of their insurance and drivers licence (as well as a backup copy of ID probably).

As far as the "affluent look" that was directly from the managers mouth. I learned long ago not to judge a book by its cover. My father worked very hard and has become an expert in his field of law and dresses WAY down on the weekends, think jeans and t-shirts. Even going to buy my mother her new BMW the dealership didnt want to give him the time of day.

They talk about it in the fchat thread. I guess the guy called ahead and really did well to sell the part. And the sales guy was along with him for the ride. I guess the "buyer" pulled into a nieghborhood and asked the sales rep to drive it home. When the sales rep got out to walk around, the just gunned it and closed the door leaving him on the side of the road. Seeing as this was back in 95 no guarantee the sales guy had a cell phone either so he woudl have had time to get the car to a truck before anyone was alerted.

They talk about it in the fchat thread. I guess the guy called ahead and really did well to sell the part. And the sales guy was along with him for the ride. I guess the "buyer" pulled into a nieghborhood and asked the sales rep to drive it home. When the sales rep got out to walk around, the just gunned it and closed the door leaving him on the side of the road. Seeing as this was back in 95 no guarantee the sales guy had a cell phone either so he woudl have had time to get the car to a truck before anyone was alerted.

Could not be back in '95.

It was 2003 most likely as the article stated.

Could not be back in '95.

It was 2003 most likely as the article stated.

Ahh, i thought the car was new when it was stolen.