1991 Diablo on Ebay - no powertrain

canuck_one

Hi, new to this forum, wanted to ask opinions about this car that was recently up for sale on Ebay .... is this a good project car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-Lambor...=item4aabdf7a56

Thanks all

IMO it would take another 35-40 grand to get back on the road!!! And why did the person put all that money into a car with no drivetrain?????

IMO it would take another 35-40 grand to get back on the road!!! And why did the person put all that money into a car with no drivetrain?????

Seems you may be right. I sourced a 1999 V12 Lambo engine on fleebay for 29K (link below):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lamborghini...=item53e1a76644

Install will be at least 5K so yeah you would be right there. Nice looker though.

Hi, new to this forum, wanted to ask opinions about this car that was recently up for sale on Ebay .... is this a good project car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-Lambor...=item4aabdf7a56

Thanks all

This car used to be the coolest emerald green color with chrome wheels and white interior. I drove it once in the late 90's when it was at the Auto Toy Store. It suffered an engine fire that left all but the nose scorched. It's bounced around the last few years and finally ended up with a guy who used to part out lambo's out in AZ, I guess he gathered up all his spare parts and threw them on this car in an effort to get rid of everything. It makes no sense financially to put it back together, I guess if you're looking to build a kit car this might be a better way to go.

This car used to be the coolest emerald green color with chrome wheels and white interior. I drove it once in the late 90's when it was at the Auto Toy Store. It suffered an engine fire that left all but the nose scorched. It's bounced around the last few years and finally ended up with a guy who used to part out lambo's out in AZ, I guess he gathered up all his spare parts and threw them on this car in an effort to get rid of everything. It makes no sense financially to put it back together, I guess if you're looking to build a kit car this might be a better way to go.

Didnt it belong to a baseball player? I saw it too..

I remember seeing it before it was white, and after it was green. The car was a complete mess, with panels everywhere and the frame naked and exposed. The only saving grace was the interior. Supposedly, the owner purchased a like new SV interior and dropped it in the car. The owner is a completely fruitloop. Like I said earlier, anybody considering this purchase should run away and don't look back.

I remember seeing it before it was white, and after it was green. The car was a complete mess, with panels everywhere and the frame naked and exposed. The only saving grace was the interior. Supposedly, the owner purchased a like new SV interior and dropped it in the car. The owner is a completely fruitloop. Like I said earlier, anybody considering this purchase should run away and don't look back.

Gee, I was actually seriously considering this as a resto-mod project, but after hearing some of the history.... Would the frame be screwed up from a fire? If so, this car is no good regardless of how much restoration it has undergone.

Thanks for the info, gents

Take it from the "Katrina Diablo Man" don't waste your time and money.The Katrina Diablo ended up with a Chevy motor and a Audi transmission. Fortunately ,I was able sell the body for 35K and piece out the original drive train to get most of my money back. Besides it being a learning experence (I now know every part, nut and bolt on a 98 SV) it was a total waste of time & money.

Take the picture of the interior and engine bay, write down the obvius parts that are missing, and go look at ricambi or eurospares for parts prices (AND avalibility) then take that amount and time it x 3, atleast. Looking at pictures there is ALOT of parts missing..

I would start running now.

Seems you may be right. I sourced a 1999 V12 Lambo engine on fleebay for 29K (link below):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lamborghini...=item53e1a76644

Install will be at least 5K so yeah you would be right there. Nice looker though.

I looked at doing a later model engine on my car when my 91 had problems. The electronics don't match up with the later engines even though they are both the 5.7L. Lambo Factory highly suggested not doing that swap as there were too many other things needed to complete the full swap.

Take it from the "Katrina Diablo Man" don't waste your time and money.The Katrina Diablo ended up with a Chevy motor and a Audi transmission. Fortunately ,I was able sell the body for 35K and piece out the original drive train to get most of my money back. Besides it being a learning experence (I now know every part, nut and bolt on a 98 SV) it was a total waste of time & money.

Remember how many times I told you the car was a loser at any price? These things you only learn after making the mistake once.

It was still fun for me to read the thread.

PS I own the starter motor from that car.

• 2 weeks later...
Take it from the "Katrina Diablo Man" don't waste your time and money.The Katrina Diablo ended up with a Chevy motor and a Audi transmission....

That car was just on EbaY recently, possibly (the listing is no longer up as of today)???

Corvette engine (IIRC) mated to an Audi 5000 transaxle through a Kennedy adapter.....