The two second club

Allan-Herbie

All of these 2 second 0-60second cars are AWD.

I was wondering if we will ever see a RWD car in the 2's...like maybe ferrari's F70 (whatever they decide to call the next Enzo), or a koenigsegg or something crazy like that wearing 375 rubber and god knows how much HP.

Anyone think it will happen? (I do...and you know as soon as you say it will never happen it will lol)

^ BMWRACERS post about traction comes to mind- I would be very surprised if there's every a RWD car that can do sub 3-second 0-60 (besides the Atom- but even then I bet that takes some serious foot-work to pull off). But you never know- who ever thought we would have a production car with 1200 hp that can do more than 265 mph (that's road legal and has a full interior)?! I mean thats just plain outlandish.

^ BMWRACERS post about traction comes to mind- I would be very surprised if there's every a RWD car that can do sub 3-second 0-60 (besides the Atom- but even then I bet that takes some serious foot-work to pull off). But you never know- who ever thought we would have a production car with 1200 hp that can do more than 265 mph (that's road legal and has a full interior)?! I mean thats just plain outlandish.

At least one mag has tested the Mclaren at 2.9 and another mag tested it at 3.0.

http://imageshack.us/f/109/cadmp4458gt2rs.jpg/

I remember when 0-60 in 6 sec was considered fast and any car in the 5 sec range was king of the road. Don't know where we going from here but there will come a point where traction is going to be a serious issue, as if it isn't already, and we are very close to it imo. The next few years should be very interesting as the hp war is still going which i find mind boggling as just about every country is adopting draconian measures against speeding.

I'm still awaiting the day we see honeycomb carbon fibre shells, where the heaviest thing in the car is the driver. Then we'll be seeing 0-60 times "post-meal" or "pre-meal." I rue the day that horse riding jockeys transition to become race car drivers.

All of these 2 second 0-60second cars are AWD.

I was wondering if we will ever see a RWD car in the 2's...like maybe ferrari's F70 (whatever they decide to call the next Enzo), or a koenigsegg or something crazy like that wearing 375 rubber and god knows how much HP.

Anyone think it will happen? (I do...and you know as soon as you say it will never happen it will lol)

Uhmm....Ariel Atom V8. 0-60 in 2.5sec

Crazy.. What are the specs on that?

Here's wiki on it.

The 917/30 was the most powerful sports car racer ever built and raced. The 5.374 litre 12 cylinder (90.0 x 70.4 mm) twin-turbocharged engine could produce 1,580 bhp (1,180 kW) in qualifying tune, with twin turbochargers run up to full boost, 39 psi (2.7 bar), though it usually raced with around 1,100 bhp (820 kW) at 7,800 rpm to preserve the engine. Weighing 1,800 lb (820 kg), giving it a power to weight of 1967.36 bhp/tonne in qualifying tune and 1369.68 bhp/tonne in race tune. The 917/30 dominated the Can-Am series during the 1973 season. The 917/30 could go from 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 mph (160 km/h) in 3.9 seconds, 0-200 mph (320 km/h) in 10.9 seconds, and on to a top speed of more than 260 mph (420 km/h). The high-level of performance and attendant fuel consumption of the engines, and ever increasing risk, has led to the 917/30 sometimes being cited as the car that killed Can-Am racing.

They say 0-200 in 10.9 so back to 0 may be wrong on back to 0 in 11 but I did read that some where.

Here's wiki on it.

The 917/30 was the most powerful sports car racer ever built and raced. The 5.374 litre 12 cylinder (90.0 x 70.4 mm) twin-turbocharged engine could produce 1,580 bhp (1,180 kW) in qualifying tune, with twin turbochargers run up to full boost, 39 psi (2.7 bar), though it usually raced with around 1,100 bhp (820 kW) at 7,800 rpm to preserve the engine. Weighing 1,800 lb (820 kg), giving it a power to weight of 1967.36 bhp/tonne in qualifying tune and 1369.68 bhp/tonne in race tune. The 917/30 dominated the Can-Am series during the 1973 season. The 917/30 could go from 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 mph (160 km/h) in 3.9 seconds, 0-200 mph (320 km/h) in 10.9 seconds, and on to a top speed of more than 260 mph (420 km/h). The high-level of performance and attendant fuel consumption of the engines, and ever increasing risk, has led to the 917/30 sometimes being cited as the car that killed Can-Am racing.

They say 0-200 in 10.9 so back to 0 may be wrong on back to 0 in 11 but I did read that some where.

I believe the 0-200... back to zero no way.. Awesome car none the less!

I remember when 0-60 in 6 sec was considered fast and any car in the 5 sec range was king of the road. Don't know where we going from here but there will come a point where traction is going to be a serious issue, as if it isn't already, and we are very close to it imo. The next few years should be very interesting as the hp war is still going which i find mind boggling as just about every country is adopting draconian measures against speeding.

Absolutely agreed, and for the most part those days were FAR more interesting as the capability difference between those few SPORTS cars which were considered fast ( 60's & 70's etype / stingray / daytona / dino / 308 / SC etc...) was so hugely apparent ...... next to other road-going cars, which were worlds behind in not only performance but in every aspect of desirability. Sports cars were soooo different then.

Today, with a family saloon being as fast as a hypercar or pos renault megane lapping the 'ring' faster than a diablo SV...it's just plain boring and uninteresting. One good thing about getting older is remembering the fun times...!!

coughcough Atom V8 coughcough

Its not really a car...

I believe the 0-200... back to zero no way.. Awesome car none the less!

Yup, the 917 /30 was and is the fastest and most powerful race car produced, but crude and simple nonetheless. A death trap without the right drivers. In quali trim the most powerful ones were reported to be delivering close to 1600hp which when carrying only 800KG meant they could hit 60 in around 1.5, 100 in 3.5 and 200 in 10.5.....and on to 260...

As a result of this lunacy they brought the canam series to a close....

So has a quad.....I wouldnt call that a car either... :icon_mrgreen:

Apart from the fourth wheel its a lot closer to a bike than a 911 / veyron or GTR.... What makes them ultimately impressive is everything the Atom lacks...

• 1 month later...
Exactly. 0-60 is SO 1997.

Agreed, especially since almost every new sport bike 600cc and above is under three seconds. Even my ten+ year old Ducati 998 Superbike can knock out 0-60 MPH in under three seconds!

post-8471-1320350681.jpg

Its not really a car...

Yup, the 917 /30 was and is the fastest and most powerful race car produced, but crude and simple nonetheless. A death trap without the right drivers. In quali trim the most powerful ones were reported to be delivering close to 1600hp which when carrying only 800KG meant they could hit 60 in around 1.5, 100 in 3.5 and 200 in 10.5.....and on to 260...

As a result of this lunacy they brought the canam series to a close....

Imagine how fast a 1300-1400 hp F1 turbo car goes when it weights only 540 kg...

Yes, not as fast....The fuel used on the BMW F1's was nitro methane. The high horsepowers were only attained during qualifying runs and the engines were changed immediately afterwards. The qually engines were good for about 5 laps, including in and out laps, and were then ruined - and so were the gearboxes....they were tiny capacity engines.