e-gear paddle extensions

Fabspeed_Motorsport

Why do they come so close to the wheel on both ends? I can understand moving then in on the bottom to clear the stalks but it seems further than necessary. The disatance of the factory pulls is good as-is and I don't see any need at the top to pull them closer to the wheel, certainly not that much.

My bigger concern with the design is how cleanly they will wrap around existing pulls. That is where your fingers naturally pull when driving forward and shifting (i.e. most of the time). That area needs be well thought through.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> those are the MAcarbon ones?

Yep. And in my car, nonetheless. :)

> i like what they did with those, i wanted these to extend further in both directions though.

I have had mine for just over a year now, and according

to my E-gear snapshots they have seen almost 30k uses

during that time. And I have nothing but praise for them!

I have taken them off a few times to show them to other

people, but in general they stay on. And, after year, that

whole slide-on "concept" continues to work well: they re-

main nice and tight, while sliding them on/off is effortless.

The upward extension is long enough for my taste. Make

them any longer, and you will end up with a twist/torsion

force on the original paddle, straining its mounting point.

A downward extension would have been nice, but simply

interferes with both, the stalks (especially when it comes

to push/pull) as well as keeping your hands on the wheel

while turning. The latter would get worse if the extension

(down or up) were angled towards the driver. You really

have to drive around with the extensions for while to see

what just looks nice vs. what actually works when driving.

Let me know if you have more specific questions -- there

are probably other tidbits which I forgot to write up here.

:)

Why do they come so close to the wheel on both ends? I can understand moving then in on the bottom to clear the stalks but it seems further than necessary. The disatance of the factory pulls is good as-is and I don't see any need at the top to pull them closer to the wheel, certainly not that much.

My bigger concern with the design is how cleanly they will wrap around existing pulls. That is where your fingers naturally pull when driving forward and shifting (i.e. most of the time). That area needs be well thought through.

Bottom extension looks like your hand will hit when turning.

I understand what you are saying and think my pictures arent properly relaying how these sit, the paddles on the bottom are absolutely closer to the wheel than on the top however your knuckles will clear them (we put Joe [the owner] in the car, he has massive hands and his cleared the paddles just fine]). I do understand what you are saying about the top not needing to come in, i will talk to Chris (the guy designing them later today).

• 1 month later...
I understand what you are saying and think my pictures arent properly relaying how these sit, the paddles on the bottom are absolutely closer to the wheel than on the top however your knuckles will clear them (we put Joe [the owner] in the car, he has massive hands and his cleared the paddles just fine]). I do understand what you are saying about the top not needing to come in, i will talk to Chris (the guy designing them later today).

Dave have you made any further progress on the extensions?

• 1 month later...
::sigh::

no, not yet. we have so many projects right now it keeps getting delayed, not forgotten about though.

I as well as many are looking forward to seeing this finished Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Looking good Dave! How far out are you from actual production?

we're still a ways out I think. We finally have a design i am happy with from the 3d printer, my guys are printing one more today with a ridge on the back like the stock paddles to give your fingers some purchase, as well as trying one more mounting solution that is a little more streamline... THEN having samples made in carbon, test fitting them, approving them in carbon, THEN they will be ready for you guys!

we're still a ways out I think. We finally have a design i am happy with from the 3d printer, my guys are printing one more today with a ridge on the back like the stock paddles to give your fingers some purchase, as well as trying one more mounting solution that is a little more streamline... THEN having samples made in carbon, test fitting them, approving them in carbon, THEN they will be ready for you guys!

That sounds like 2016 to me!?

• 3 months later...
realistically I think we will be good to go within 2 months.

Ok, if that was realistic.. What would the Super-Duper Realistic estimate be? ;)

There are around 14,022 Gallardo's (minus a few wrecks, and a few with manual transmissions ;)) that are all waiting for these!! Help us... Please, help us!! :crybaby2:

Still holding out hope...

Ok, if that was realistic.. What would the Super-Duper Realistic estimate be? ;)

There are around 14,022 Gallardo's (minus a few wrecks, and a few with manual transmissions ;)) that are all waiting for these!! Help us... Please, help us!! :crybaby2:

Still holding out hope...

I actually was talking about this yesterday. I had another egear car delivered late Thursday night that we will use to complete the project!

Glad to see progress.

Maybe I am not looking at it right but it appears the smooth surface is going to be facing the driver. This will look good but be terrible for the feel of the hand on the back side. The main touch point is still going to be in the exact location the factory pulls are located and you will just feel those loops.

Personally, I would flip them backwards so the smooth side is away from the driver and design it so that there was a full cover over the factory pull.

Imagine the MA Carbon horn with your large pull attached to the backside of it. I think that is the ideal configuration for looks and feel.