e-gear paddle extensions

Fabspeed_Motorsport

update time! We have another car here and another revision done! We took all the comments and critiques under advisement and made changes accordingly. Keep in mind these are all off of our 3d printer, so they don't have the perfect polished look yet. We closed the loops on the back where the paddle slides over the stock paddle. We also added two small holes that will be used for set screws. I have been talking to the engineer about adding a sort of transition material from the edge of the loops to the actual paddle so that the drop off from the stock paddle to ours isn't as drastic... thoughts?

paddles1_zps1c9f23fa.jpg

I will add a picture of the one we printed installed in a few minutes!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I still think putting the left one on the right side and vice versa based on above drawing is far superior. A consistent area where the fingers go will feel best.

Take your picture. Flip the pulls to the opposite sides. The flat part will be facing away from the driver but will feel much better on the fingers.

It doesn't LOOK quite as nice but will feel much better. In this case function wins over form for me.

That is why I said to use something like the MA Carbon horns to cover the existing pull and then attach the large flat blade to the backside...away from driver.

Take your picture. Flip the pulls to the opposite sides. The flat part will be facing away from the driver but will feel much better on the fingers.

It doesn't LOOK quite as nice but will feel much better. In this case function wins over form for me.

That is why I said to use something like the MA Carbon horns to cover the existing pull and then attach the large flat blade to the backside...away from driver.

I see what you are saying, I flipped them and tried them out, they sit WAY farther back than the stock paddles... I don't think we should rule it out but the most recent revision is really nice in my opinion.

Fabspeed_Gallardo_Paddle_Prototype_6_zps

Fabspeed_Gallardo_Paddle_Prototype_7_zps

Fabspeed_Gallardo_Paddle_Prototype_5_zps

I really like the look!

I see can see how it could be back a bit.

Hopefully you don't mind my inputs. I really want to buy these but unfortunately don't have the time or ability to create what is in my head.

What about this? Think about where your fingers actually touch the part. They touch on that angled backside of the pull.

pulls.jpg

I really like the look!

I see can see how it could be back a bit.

Hopefully you don't mind my inputs. I really want to buy these but unfortunately don't have the time or ability to create what is in my head.

What about this? Think about where your fingers actually touch the part. They touch on that angled backside of the pull.

I actually have a CAD drawing very similar to that, the curved portion is a little more gradual though.

I think the end product will be a combination of these two:

I like the beveled edge, I like the closed "loops", and I like the part that "ramps" down off the center part (please try and follow along with all my technical terminology) :lol2:

like this:

CAD1_zps3911a7ea.jpg

I see, you are intending to develop sleeves for the existing paddles I thought you were intending to manufacture a complete replacement part.

What if they are double-skinned ? That way you have a flat surface at the front (looks) and at the back (comfort) the only downside would be the thickness but you can overcome that by making them thiner as you move away from the original paddle, I think that will work.

I think the end product will be a combination of these two:

CAD1_zps3911a7ea.jpg

David, thanks for the updates!

Having a raised edge (Rt picture) is good, the blades need something like that to get one's fingertips around. Totally agree the blades should not be "flipped", or any changes made that move the blades away from the steering wheel. It's great you are moving the blades closer to the wheel than stock.

Functionally I do not like the "ramp" (Left picture) at all. In practice it seems like you're just creating an obstacle to operating the blades, making it tougher to grasp near the loop, and also inconsistent to get one's fingertips around the (widening or narrowing) edge of the blade.

Though it's a trade-off to move the edge of the blades further outwards... What if you made the raised-edge continuous, and moved where the "loop" meets the blade (the "union") back from the outer edge, to partially clear the now-continuous raised edge? You could also thin the width of the raised-edge (looks thick in the picture) to minimize how much you need to move the union. If this doesn't buy enough space, consider widening the blade itself a few millimeters to help give separation between ridge & union. I can sketch all this if it isn't clear ;)

Side note... I'm not so sure about this suggestion, but maybe put a series of tiny parallel ridges (knurls) along the loop so that if your finger tips grabbed too far at the loop, they'd gain some added traction?...

You may want to take a closer look at the existing product. :)

I like the amount of space it leaves towards the wheels as well as the stalks. Safety.

I like how the curve of my hands and fingers continues around the back of the paddle.

I especially like the two-faced back... although that is a bit hard to see in these pics.

I also like the specific upward dimension -- after several years with these extenders (I

could look up an approximate shift count if anyone really cares) the paddles do remain

tight and the microswitches are still happy. (I was concerned about too much leverage.)

http://www.macarbon.com/components/com_vir...alled_final.jpg

http://www.macarbon.com/components/com_vir...s_installed.jpg

http://www.macarbon.com/components/com_vir...enders_left.jpg

http://www.macarbon.com/components/com_vir...13599278d9b.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2...-cL._SX300_.jpg (show the two-faced back a bit better)

Been reading this thread. Some info for people that might want to go with the factory race paddles.

I managed to convince Reiter to supply them to me but they are very pricey, over 2.5K USD just for the paddles.

Here is the chart (Might be useful to you David)...

R___P.JPG

So, Reiter has never done the switch with the paddles alone, only with the other parts shown in 103 so they are not sure what is compatible with what. If you get all of 103, it's around 7k USD. The paddles are apparently made out of gold.

So if that is ok with anyone, you must either purchase a race wheel from OMP, Reiter, or the OEM race wheel which I think Reiter manufactures that as well and sacrifice the airbag or come up with a spacer solution for the stock wheel as mentioned in the thread.

I have asked them to quote me on the OEM race wheel but apparently the price of gold has not been stable in Germany so Reiter has not replied yet, the wheel is made out of gold as well.

Overall I think its a great idea for me as I live in Dubai mostly. We do not have any airbag laws and we love gold.

Deal.

Overall I think its a great idea for me as I live in Dubai mostly. We do not have any airbag laws and we love gold.

Deal.

Hahaha!!!

Been reading this thread. Some info for people that might want to go with the factory race paddles.

I managed to convince Reiter to supply them to me but they are very pricey, over 2.5K USD just for the paddles.

Here is the chart (Might be useful to you David)...

R___P.JPG

So, Reiter has never done the switch with the paddles alone, only with the other parts shown in 103 so they are not sure what is compatible with what. If you get all of 103, it's around 7k USD. The paddles are apparently made out of gold.

So if that is ok with anyone, you must either purchase a race wheel from OMP, Reiter, or the OEM race wheel which I think Reiter manufactures that as well and sacrifice the airbag or come up with a spacer solution for the stock wheel as mentioned in the thread.

I have asked them to quote me on the OEM race wheel but apparently the price of gold has not been stable in Germany so Reiter has not replied yet, the wheel is made out of gold as well.

Deal.

that's what I wanted to go for originally, they actually look like Murci paddles with the bottom mirroring the top. Regardless, like you said it wouldnt work for 99% of people! we just finished printing another set! I think you guys will like them. Pictures shortly.

David, keep me posted on these. Thanks brother. :icon_thumleft:

Of course! my phone decided to go hot tubbing while I was in Utah :eusa_wall: replacement should be in tonight! I'll shoot you a text.

Now we are getting somewhere!

Make mine in carbon pls.

Don't forget my design consultant discount. :D

Of course!

Looking good!

Thanks!

Of course! my phone decided to go hot tubbing while I was in Utah :eusa_wall: replacement should be in tonight! I'll shoot you a text.

Of course!

Thanks!

This prototype looks good. When can they be ready?

It wouldn't prevent me from purchasing but can the top part of the "loop" be enclosed so you can't see the original pull. It would look more factory and might fit more solidly as well.

It wouldn't prevent me from purchasing but can the top part of the "loop" be enclosed so you can't see the original pull. It would look more factory and might fit more solidly as well.

Agreed. I'd buy a set considering price point. Maybe some out of carbon fiber or even some in just plain smooth composite plastic.

Seeing the side-by-side comparison pics between these paddles & the stock ones really has me excited, should be a huge improvement. Can't wait for them to be finished!

+1 re: "capping" them on top if possible to improve the visuals, but also agree it wouldn't be a deal-killer.

David, what are your plans re: the finish(es) you'll offer them in? Hopefully there will be a non-CF option for those who don't have any existing CF in their interior.