Need landscaping help/advice

Lirim318

I'm slowly settling into my new house, but I still have to take care of the landscaping on my lot. I was told to budget around 10-15% of the value of the house, but then again, every landscaping contractor out there probably know of that rule of thumb. So how do I know whether I'm getting the most for my money? On the one hand, I don't want to risk hiring someone who'll cut corners/do a sloppy job just to save a few bucks. But on the other hand, how much of a premium should one pay into order to get quality work?

If I could have an insight on how much of the estimate goes towards materials vs labor that would be great. Or things to expect/inspect when having your landscaping done.

Also, if anyone here have any cool ideas for a backyard, feel free to chime in.

Some additional info.....

Lot size is around 9800 sq/ft. Thinking of putting unistone for driveway and patio/deck, outdoor fireplace, and automatic sprinkler system....everything else is still up in the air.

My house.

post-933-1323630430_thumb.jpg

Three houses up.

post-933-1323630551_thumb.jpg

The neighborhood Aston.

post-933-1323630601_thumb.jpg

What are your plans for the landscaping? Are you aiming for something traditional using native plants?

Do you have pictures of what you like and don't like?

Any fountains?

Do you have water control to deal with? As in, drainage around the lot and surrounding areas you need build in to prevent flooding and saturation?

Do you want to enclose it like a compound, or prefer an open view in and out?

Doing anything like a fire pit, paver patio, etc?

You might get a bit of sticker shock but it's money well spent to get the quality solid brass sprinklers, commercial grade lighting (look up vision 3, bk lighting, or hydrel) stay away from the home depot shit, it will be nothing but a constant headache.

One thing I would definitely put some money into is lighting. Uplights the trees, key parts of the house, and any walkways etc. It will transform the look of your property.

I don't always buy into the 10% rule. Lot size and plant type play a lot into the total cost, and your patience as well. Do you buy smaller trees and wait, or do you drop $12k on a mature tree that is brought in via bigrig and planted with a truck crane.

Honestly I would spend some time researching yourself, talk to a local tree farm and maybe even consult with a landscape architect. I don't think I would rely on just the local landscape contractors.

Get a landscape architect to help you to get your ideas on paper and then get a couple local landscape companies to price the job. Most do hardscape and lighting as well as sprinkler system. Make sure grading is properly done so you have no water issues during rainy times.

Get a landscape architect to help you to get your ideas on paper and then get a couple local landscape companies to price the job. Most do hardscape and lighting as well as sprinkler system. Make sure grading is properly done so you have no water issues during rainy times.

Grading is huge. I've had 2 homes with grading issues after the lawn was in leading to flooding until I had accessory drains put it.

Also make sure any gas and water lines you run (firepit, built in grill, fountain etc) have big enough lines to supply enough gas, water for your needs and possible upgrade needs.

-First off get 3 quotes

-Ask to see a portfolio...and get referrals

-To take it one step further ask what he has done in the neighbourhood...go to these houses to check out the work.

-Knock on the door and talk to the homeowners, compliment them on their landscaping...make small talk...ask who did the work, and if they would recommend them.

-Ask questions like; Did they stay on budget, did they finish the job on time, did they do what they said they were going to do.

-You can't beat a refferal from a previous customer...especially when you tell company you hire they are a refferal

-Ask if the company is doing all of the work or are they sub-contracting it out. Sometime companies aren't jack of all trades, so subbing out "some" work is not a bad thing. If a contractor can admit they don't do certain things it's not a bad thing...landscaping is no different than building a house...so of the work involved is a trade ie; stone masons, pool installers etc.

Hope that helps.

Skys the limit when it has to do with what you can spend outside your home. Most important step when starting your project is to sit down with a landscape architect and have him draw up a plan. You can give him ideas and he will also make suggestions. When that is complete you can give the plan to professional landscaping companies to bid it out. This way you are comparing apples to apples.

Hire a designer not an architect. Much cheaper and you will happier with the results. You will need an idea of what you would like as a starting point. What grass (sod), woody plants, herbaceous plants you want. Whether you are going to care for it or hire it out. Do you want a seasonal color rotation? Lots of questions you will need to work out with a designer.

Out of curiousity, what state are you located in?

You mean country....I'm actually located in Montreal, Canada.

Thanks for all the great feedback....Gives me alot to think about. Please keep them coming.

Talked to a couple of homeowners in the neighborhood regarding landscaping and a company kept popping up. You do pay a premium for the services but no one expressed regret over the quality of the work. However, depending on what you want, some estimates do go into the high 5/low 6 figure range.

I've made an appointment with it's designer....see what she can come up with.

Ideally, I would like something low maintenance as I am too lazy when it comes to yardwork. As for the automatic irrigation system, anyone here have one installed (something called Rain Bird)?

There are a few irrigation systems out there I would say 100% get one installed to protect your investment...if there is one word of advice I can give you it's this...make sure your gardens are on different zones than the grass/lawn. If you plant annuals they will need more water than your grass, different zones will allow this...I'll say it again because it's important...keep your garden zones different than your lawn!!!

I hear some even have rain sensors to prevent from over watering. I guess you can pre-program the different zones and forget about it. I will definitely get one and save me the hassle of watering the lawn. What is the top brand that I should look for when it comes to reliability?

Landscaping is a ripoff. We had a guy come out to do 2 beds around our front door. It was 3-4 small trees, some shrubs, some grass, and mulch. He wanted $6,000.

I have nothing to add regarding landscaping however just wanted to say that your new home is BEAUTIFUL! :) best of luck with it. From the looks of the surrounding houses it looks like a great neighborhood as well. You have done well for yourself. :icon_super:

Rainbird is the way to go in my opinion. And Rain sensors are definitely appropriate for any application. See if you can get a dedicated irrigation meter. Some places allow this and you are charged half rate for the water instead of the regular price of water.

Lawn/grass has to be on a different zone as lambo1 said.

Also make sure that the irrigation has winterization built into it from the start. That way you can drain the system and not pay someone to do it for you every winter.

Your house looks fantastic my friend. The way I do it is have the designer draw up a plan that you like. If you have an ARB or architectural review board the design can get tricky and the plants they spec are normally based on the neighborhood feel so thats cool. Once you get the plan from the designer then send it to 4-5 companies for bids.

Now the fun part, once you get the bids look at the plant spec sheet. It will list the square footage of sod and quantity of each set of plants. Add that up without labor then find the local growers that the contractors buy from, they are always open to the public. Then when its time you can arrange to buy the plants and have the trucked to you, you will save 20-40% normally.

Sod, same thing most likely less mark up here but I always order the pallets myself.

Irrigation, Id pay to have that brought in and installed, its normally about 4k over here for 4-6 zones "Rain Bird" all the bells and whistles installed.

Now you can go back and hire the companies for labor only if you want or find landscape laborers to do the install of the plants and sod. Some are more then happy others will say no, who cares really. You will cut your costs substantially if you want to put a few hours of effort into it. Otherwise you can just hire straight away and not get involved. I find it fun though.

Landscaping is a ripoff. We had a guy come out to do 2 beds around our front door. It was 3-4 small trees, some shrubs, some grass, and mulch. He wanted $6,000.

Jeez. I'm in the wrong business.

OP: Don't overpay. You'll know it when you see it ^

Lots of good advice though. Ask to see their work, get multiple quotes.

There's a large swath of landscapers in my area (midwesterners LOVE to spend cold hard cash on foliage).

I'm with some of you - I hate to do yardwork, and would much prefer low-maintenance landscaping - even if you have to pay more for it initially.

That comment is amusing...I guess you know what it cost to run a landscaping company...equipment, insurance, maintenance, labour, etc.

That comment is amusing...I guess you know what it cost to run a landscaping company...equipment, insurance, maintenance, labour, etc.

I don't know what it costs to run a landscape company, but I do know what it costs to run a company in general, so I have an idea of the overhead on those items that you mentioned, and I know what labor costs in my area.

Additionally, straight from the landscape company owner's mouth was this: "We mark up our plants/shrubs 150% from the local yards, and you're paying for the convenience of having my labor force install it." This was my example, not intended to be a barometer for all homeowners.

What stevecerr mentioned above is the way to go for sure. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Save half or more on plants after you get the design work done and then get your own labor. Good luck and nice house Lirim318...

I don't know what it costs to run a landscape company, but I do know what it costs to run a company in general, so I have an idea of the overhead on those items that you mentioned, and I know what labor costs in my area.

Additionally, straight from the landscape company owner's mouth was this: "We mark up our plants/shrubs 150% from the local yards, and you're paying for the convenience of having my forced labor install it." This was my example, not intended to be a barometer for all homeowners.

What stevecerr mentioned above is the way to go for sure. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Save half or more on plants after you get the design work done and then get your own labor. Good luck and nice house Lirim318...

Fixed it for ya. :icon_thumleft:

I just want to thank everyone here for the kind remarks and helpful advice.

To stevecerr....Great advice, I'll talk to the other homeowners to see if perhaps we could get a group discount.

Since work won't start till spring/summer of next year, it'll give me plenty of time to research and shop around.....although a small part of me is telling me to just astroturf the entire lot, and take the money I save to go shop for a used Gallardo ;)