Dump trucks with loads of rock SUCK :(

cake

Had the ZeeOhsix and Lambo wrapped this week with Xpel Ultimate film. The guy did a great job. Z went first, then lambo. They had to cure for about 48 hours before being driven.

Friday morning I take the Z for a ride (maiden voyage with paint protection). Encounter a dump truck (landscape size) in the opposite direction with a load of rock (not gravel - jagged, sharp stones like raw granite). We are going around a curve, and he goes over a large bump. It unweights the load and showers the Z with rocks. Only the passenger side isn't affected. Every other panel of the car including windshield, roof, driver mirror, fenders, bumper, hood all have damage. In some cases the film protected the car. In some areas the rocks tore through the film and took paint off down to bare metal.

Couldn't stop or turn around. Way too much traffic on a 45 mph road. By the time I could have turned around he would have been long gone.

Oh well. At least plastic doesn't dent. If it had been another other car it would have been a disaster.

I was told to call the "best shop" in Pittsburgh - they are top shelf, do amazing paint work. The owner says "we don't work on Corrvettttttes. Sorry."

Not only is my car trashed - I'm being discriminated against :D Apparently they only like European marques and not non-Euro trash from the mid-southern US in the area of KY and Bowling Green but not necessarily Kentuckians (no offense to ANYONE especially R-Dad!!!) Actually - his excuse: they don't work on fiberglass (but they work on all sorts of composite euro cars...hmmmm)

I hate dumptrucks.

I was almost killed when I was little in a similar situation - the rock launched through the windshield and missed my head by about 6 inches.

Apparently they only like European marques and not white trash from KY (no offense to Kentuckians

Oh No you Din't!

vyce77 - very glad the rock missed you. That must have been terrifying for you and your parents (or whomever was driving).

I know that I'm very lucky. It could have been MUCH worse, and I'm thankful it's only damage to the car. If the rock had come through the windshield who knows what might have happened.

I know it's only a car, and I know it could have been much worse.

I still hate to see it all dinged up when it was looking so great (for a Z)

Oh No you Din't!

Sorry R-Dad. Edited. Any better?

I'm with you on Sears Sucks. If it's a Sears Dump truck they may as well have a target painted on their @ss :(

Sorry R-Dad. Edited. Any better?

Now thats fuckin' funny right there.... :lol2:

In some areas the rocks tore through the film and took paint off down to bare metal.

You don't say?

You don't say?

Yes.

Insurance appraiser evaluated the damage yesterday.

This was not gravel. These were ROCKS - jagged, some the size of my fist. Had it been a metal car it would look like it was used as a piñata.

The joys of fiberglass.

Shitty situation cake.

A few months ago I was heading to the airport to pickup Mrs. porter. I keep my distance and pass wide and fast around gravel trucks. On this occasion the timing was perfect on the rock bounce and without warning my Rover sunroof exploded. I mean like full on did-a-bomb-go-off explosion. I honestly thought someone shot me. I took a look in the mirror and was covered in glass and blood. Took the stealership a couple hours to vacuum out all the pieces, and to this day I still find tiny cubes of sunroof hidden in the truck.

Small silver lining was when I showed up to the airport looking like I'd done a faceplant into a storefront window, my wife gave me some good sympathy on the ride home.

Arrrghhhh! I feel for ya Carol. I've gone through 3 windshields on the Caddy in 3 years. It seems like every spring when roads are being repaired or landscaping is being done, I get stuck behind the delivery truck, and sure as shit, ping ping ping.

Good luck with the repairs. So sorry...

Porter - geez you're lucky you weren't hurt worse considering what happened. Glad you had a HAPPY ENDING :D

GBGallardo - thanks for the laugh - funny exchange

John - that's a lot of windshields.

There is an "up side" I discovered yesterday. Had it on track for the first time (holy fcukin shit that thing hauls @ss).

There is something very liberating about being on track with 1. a car that already is cosmetically damaged and 2. that is valued in the 5 digit range.