Espada

lambolp400s

Was so close as one can be to buy a Lambo, but as i was looking over my finances to give a bid on this car, an Espada S1, I got a call from a friend in the Pantera club, mentioning he was seriously interested in a Espada he had foun on the net. Telling him I have been looking it over, and was to buy it, he told me he think I should be happy with the bull I have, and let him see it over and considder it first since he had dreamt of a Espada for years. Nice as I am, I told him OK, met him at the airport the day after to drive him out to look at it. Going over it, and taking it for a spin, he had to have it. Well, it did'nt turn out to be mine, but at least I can go and get a drive in it when time permits after all:)

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

IMG_3423.JPG

A great thing to do for a friend.

very nice color.

Car was nice, and I like cars in "other" colors than most others are.

Great thing to do yes, but it won't happen again:)

I sooooooooooooooooo want a series one Espada!

and to be honest your friend is right...you have the nicer car with your countach S :icon_thumleft:

I have to say that it is really awesome that you did this for your friend. I have an interesting story about my car. Although my car isn't worth what your Lambo is, it's hard to find a survivor status 914 (and I still get offers on it from the 914 fanatics).

When I started talking to the owner about it being for sale and we were swapping stories this was before I had my 911 and the wife's toofah. All I had back then was my project and my 944 (which may as well have been a project). He knew how hard I had worked on my cars and how badly I wanted it. He was selling it so he could make room for a tow car when he got a motorhome and travel the USA. He had other cars he could have sold...

He ended up selling those too but he told me many times that he wanted to hold onto it because a survivor status car was so hard to find. He told me he probably wouldn't find one like it at his age if he looked again, maybe, but he didn't have the patience to hunt one down again. When I asked him WHY he didn't want to keep it and was willing to let it go:

"I've been working on and restoring Porsches since I was your age. Since then I've owned probably 30 different 914s... several 911s... multiple 928s and a handful of other models. I'm going to end up getting a Porsche I want for my last hurrah here soon.. but I want to travel too. But it's another persons turn to enjoy this car the way I've enjoyed it for so long. I can tell you'll take care of it."

By far it was one of the coolest things I've heard from someone who has enjoyed cars for so long. Since then it's been given the care it needs and kept up and even though it's had it's temper tantrums that the 914s tend to have, it's remained on the road, preserved in it's condition and given what I figured he would want to see it in terms of preservation, all the way down to the hard to find OEM stuff. It almost feels like a responsibility of a time machine to keep and maintain something so old and see it remain in good shape, to keep it worthy of being kept and something that you can sit in and reminds you of an era of cars back when they were interesting, shaped, curved, beautiful in a unique way and could still be worked on with the patience and knowledge and a decent set of tools.

I have to give a huge hats off to you for giving this opportunity to your friend. For some of us who have dreamed of the day of our first Lambo, they are getting harder and harder to find on the oldschool stuff. I still look forward to the day that I finally have the chance to sit in the seat, put the keys in the ignition and hear the sound of a true Italian ensemble under the hood and have that sigh of relief, look forward down the road and think... "This one... this one is mine.".... It's people like you who understand the moment of dreams coming true for some of us :) Even if it's an oldschool Lambo. I prefer the old stuff since it's what I enjoy working on.

Prost!

PS: I need to stop spending my money on Porsches so I can buy one. :lol2:

It almost feels like a responsibility of a time machine to keep and maintain something so old and see it remain in good shape, to keep it worthy of being kept and something that you can sit in and reminds you of an era of cars back when they were interesting, shaped, curved, beautiful in a unique way and could still be worked on with the patience and knowledge and a decent set of tools.

Very well expressed - this sums up why we love these older cars (I'm not just talking about Lamborghinis) and how ownership is a responsibility as well as a privilege. The financial costs may be high but they are quantifiable; the rewards aren't!

Jonathan