"Hug" of off-duty officer kills Detroit woman?

RedGTS

WTF? Any theories on how one not only causes a holstered handgun to discharge by "hugging" an off-duty officer from behind, but causes the bullet from said handgun to hit the hugger in the chest?

Detroit woman killed when hug triggers officer's gun

Horizontal reverse holster?

http://www.holsters4guns.com/holsters/product/UMK87__.html

Yeah. A "Miami" rig would explain the trajectory.

Now explain the discharge.

Guns in holsters don't go off. Regardless how hard one "hugs" them. something has to get in between the trigger guard and the trigger, and on every holster I've ever seen that area is protected and closed.

Unless he modified the holster so that the trigger guard was exposed, the Gun wasn't in the holster.

Whoopsie. I think I found it.

http://www.galatiinternational.com/product/GLHA1H0.html

That is a complete nightmare design.

If the rig looks anything like that, everybody is getting sued. Holster designer, cop, dept., everybody. A cop should know better than to carry condition 1 in that type of rig. He's lucky he never shot himself.

Whoopsie. I think I found it.

http://www.galatiinternational.com/product/GLHA1H0.html

That is a complete nightmare design.

If the rig looks anything like that, everybody is getting sued. Holster designer, cop, dept., everybody. A cop should know better than to carry condition 1 in that type of rig. He's lucky he never shot himself.

Heres one thing ive never understood, why would you want the trigger exposed on a Conceal and carry holster anyways?

I knew I could count on you guys--I didn't know open-trigger holsters like that existed (and don't know why anyone would want one). But even assuming it was an open-trigger design, I'm still having a hard time seeing how a "hug" could manipulate the trigger and cause the gun to fire. Sounds like she must have poked a finger or thumb into the trigger housing through the material in his jacket or something (or directly if he wasn't wearing a jacket). I'll bet the lawsuit is being drafted as we speak though.

I knew I could count on you guys--I didn't know open-trigger holsters like that existed (and don't know why anyone would want one). But even assuming it was an open-trigger design, I'm still having a hard time seeing how a "hug" could manipulate the trigger and cause the gun to fire. Sounds like she must have poked a finger or thumb into the trigger housing through the material in his jacket or something (or directly if he wasn't wearing a jacket). I'll bet the lawsuit is being drafted as we speak though.

I can envision it.... She reaches around, feels something hard, doesnt know what it is, and squeezes it to try to figure out what it is, meanwhile he cant feel her touching it... BANG.

Heres one thing ive never understood, why would you want the trigger exposed on a Conceal and carry holster anyways?

You wouldn't. Unless you have your head firmly ensconced in your ass.

... She reaches around, feels something hard, doesnt know what it is, and squeezes it to try to figure out what it is, meanwhile he cant feel her touching it... BANG.

Happens to me all the time.

Women are usually polite about it though and say it's okay, it happens to other men too.

You wouldn't. Unless you have your head firmly ensconced in your ass.

Its been awhile since I've owned an auto, but even if the trigger and guard were exposed in the holster you'd still need to have the

hammer back and the safety off to get it to fire. Unless it was a glock type weapon then you'd need both trigger and the saftey trigger

thing activated to fire.

Its been awhile since I've owned an auto, but even if the trigger and guard were exposed in the holster you'd still need to have the

hammer back and the safety off to get it to fire. Unless it was a glock type weapon then you'd need both trigger and the saftey trigger

thing activated to fire.

you just need to have a round in the chamber....

A safety will easily come off on its own in a rig like that.... Its all exposed.