First photos of the McLaren P1

Nath4N

No this is a design study. Not signed off. Yet. Still chatting to my engineering friend earlier today that was involved with the Mp4 project he said not too far off designs he has seen.

Even as a design study as a one off this is hands down miles better than the Sesto Elementowank.

From a design point McLaren have the lead for me. The Lambos now have creases, McLaren have curves.

In the technology stakes, well when Lambo look to the horizon, that dot they see is McLaren.

What have Lambo got that can take on the new incoming cars?

I read about 97% complete.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mako's post is spot on, we can't compare a design based on a entry level car with a designed worked on by McLaren for God knows how many years, design targeting the $1 mil plus bracket.I know they are selling the Sesto for $1mil + but the car wasn't designed for that it was simply a concept study.

Even though I don't dislike the design, being miles better looking than the MP3 snooze fest, the lines are too conflicting I think they let the wind tunnel mold every line of the car, too busy and not fluid enough, I like Lambo's sharp angles approach, looks are subjective.McLaren will have ZERO issues selling this car, I would buy one, so discussing it from that point of you is irrelevant.

If performance figures are what they are claiming to be it will be impressive but so many other manufactures are pulling off impressive figures that the relevance of them isn't what it used to be, also you know how we feel about performance claims when a manufacturer/tuner roll pushes a car on the showroom floor rather than driving it :icon_mrgreen:

I understand it, we all do, and it has nothing to do with getting older. Its what it needs to be to set the benchmark. It's a shame that beauty is no longer a predominant factor in most supercar design however.... I'd rather they all reached 200mph a little slower so we could have that back...imho.

The Aventador rocks of course :icon_mrgreen:

Lambo doesn't offer a car at this price point unfortanately, so it's not a valid comparison.

How much to buy a Sesto? How much was the Revention? What performance have they got? And the P1 will be road legal.

Mako's post is spot on, we can't compare a design based on a entry level car with a designed worked on by McLaren for God knows how many years, design targeting the $1 mil plus bracket.I know they are selling the Sesto for $1mil + but the car wasn't designed for that it was simply a concept study.

They have not been designing the P1 for long, it has nods to the F1 but the design was not started with menace when the Mp4 was released. So not long at all.

As for the looks of the Gallardo versus the Mp4. I know it is subjective so we cannot all agree on this but I think we can look at what was shown at Paris this week and say which marque has the more promising design suite!

So if McLaren let airflow help design their cars it shows they are thinking about their car and not just adding a crease or a stripe for the sake of an Asian market monetary input. It shows the different approach, Lambo flogging their dead horse in strong markets to make their sales targets whilst McLaren are shaking up the market place with each of their products.

Lambo are now humdrum and beige.

Mp4 spider v G Performante?

I mean Lambo have been plodding away at this car market business for how long? Now look at their "ad personam" projects, have they produced anything near to what McLaren special projects are doing? Ok one of the cars is not to everyone's taste but it IS wild and IS different and meets the owners criteria. Not just some mashed up thread stitching options in the leather.

Look at how McLaren have responded to criticism of reliability, they have listened, they have got things wrong but they are getting people driving. Flip it to Lambo again and look at the STS cooling issues. "yeah we will have a fix when the air temperature in your part of the world is cool" and even then the fix does not seem to have arrived.

McLaren have issues with hifi and sat nav but Lambo don't have that problem simply because they are using old Audi sat nav equipment. Imagine if Lambo did do their own Sat Nav package? You could be in Times Square New York, you want to go Boston and you would end up in China via Bueno Aires.

Even raiding a parts bin Lambo are just profitable, they are not bringing anything new to the table and just ticking over.

So calling the game over or annointing McLaren to some posistion of prominence from one base car that is already selling at a discount in the States because they can't move them, or a design study P1 that looks like something Koenigsegg's 13-year-old designers would barf up on their high school notebooks, is a bit premature. :icon_mrgreen:

That being said, I do feel the P1 will become the ultimate performance street car in terms of lap times. Nothing is going to be able to touch it, including the F70.

Are Gallardos flying off the forecourts? Again with the catfish front end and trigonometry homework rear end will they actually sell? Who is actually going to buy the new shape?

I know I cannot convince you and Fortis about the Mp4 and its credentials but McLaren have so much more going for them than Lambo. The Lambo paymasters do not know what to do with the brand, they threw money at them for the Aventador and that has not been that successful, the tech was out of date before it was released, they even had to attach a motorcycle company to Lambo to make them Euro emissions compliant because they have nothing else they can do with them right now - when you do that and have to spend 747 million Euros to do it you know Lambo are trussed up on a sex swing.

How much to buy a Sesto? How much was the Revention? What performance have they got? And the P1 will be road legal.

They have not been designing the P1 for long, it has nods to the F1 but the design was not started with menace when the Mp4 was released. So not long at all.

As for the looks of the Gallardo versus the Mp4. I know it is subjective so we cannot all agree on this but I think we can look at what was shown at Paris this week and say which marque has the more promising design suite!

So if McLaren let airflow help design their cars it shows they are thinking about their car and not just adding a crease or a stripe for the sake of an Asian market monetary input. It shows the different approach, Lambo flogging their dead horse in strong markets to make their sales targets whilst McLaren are shaking up the market place with each of their products.

Lambo are now humdrum and beige.

Mp4 spider v G Performante?

I mean Lambo have been plodding away at this car market business for how long? Now look at their "ad personam" projects, have they produced anything near to what McLaren special projects are doing? Ok one of the cars is not to everyone's taste but it IS wild and IS different and meets the owners criteria. Not just some mashed up thread stitching options in the leather.

Look at how McLaren have responded to criticism of reliability, they have listened, they have got things wrong but they are getting people driving. Flip it to Lambo again and look at the STS cooling issues. "yeah we will have a fix when the air temperature in your part of the world is cool" and even then the fix does not seem to have arrived.

McLaren have issues with hifi and sat nav but Lambo don't have that problem simply because they are using old Audi sat nav equipment. Imagine if Lambo did do their own Sat Nav package? You could be in Times Square New York, you want to go Boston and you would end up in China via Bueno Aires.

Even raiding a parts bin Lambo are just profitable, they are not bringing anything new to the table and just ticking over.

Are Gallardos flying off the forecourts? Again with the catfish front end and trigonometry homework rear end will they actually sell? Who is actually going to buy the new shape?

I know I cannot convince you and Fortis about the Mp4 and its credentials but McLaren have so much more going for them than Lambo. The Lambo paymasters do not know what to do with the brand, they threw money at them for the Aventador and that has not been that successful, the tech was out of date before it was released, they even had to attach a motorcycle company to Lambo to make them Euro emissions compliant because they have nothing else they can do with them right now - when you do that and have to spend 747 million Euros to do it you know Lambo are trussed up on a sex swing.

Good info in gangnam fashion lol

McLaren has to listen and bend over backwards for their customers because they released a half baked product and they are the new kid on the block.

I hear so many people complaining about customer service, it comes down to the dealer they are dealing with and the reletionship they are building with the dealership, the factory has very little to do with how you get treated by the dealer.I've bought more than 10 new cars Lambo, Audi, Benz, BMW, Porsche and never had a bad experience with the dealers, I was always treated with respect, maybe I was just lucky.

The Gallardo replacement is the car that needs to be compared with the 458 and the MP3,you are comparing a 10 year old car with something that started with a clean sheet of paper few years ago after certain refinments and advancements in technology, apples and oranges.

A wrong decision about the design of the front and rear bar hardly classes as a tragedy and takes away from the sucess the Gallardo is, the Gallardo is the most successful and the most reliable road car Lambo ever produced, I've been in these cars for the last 7 years and I know them inside out, they are as flawless as a car can be.In relation to th STS let's be honest, there are few isolated cases when driven under extreme conditions on the track, NO issues on the street even under very heavy spirited driving, Lambo went out of their way to resolve the issue, in Vahid's case they flew in mechanics, test driver, replacement parts etc.Vahid seems to be happy or at least content with the outcome, it happens, no company and no product is perfect, the most important thing is that they are willing to offer their support when needed.

In relation to the Aventador don't let yourself be fooled, they are doing very well, I had the chance to spend quite a bit of time in one and the car is amazing and it will only get better from here.All those guys that "dumped" their cars did so for a handsome $50k to $100k profits no matter how you slice it that's a very good earn on a signature on a non limited edition first year car that's replaceable if you willing to wait and have other exciting things to tie you over.

At the end of the day all these cars are absolutely amazing and the lucky few that can afford to get their paws on them are truly blessed, 99% of the buyers aren't cable enough or have the opportunity to squeeze the full potential these cars offer so most of the purchase decisions are based on other factors, such as looks, status symbol, affordability, which team you want to be part of etc.

I saw an MP4 on the road yesterday. It is new in town and was at the traffic light across from me. I was in my 612 with my wife and son. I liked it from my view. My wife asked if that is a GTR? I corrected her and reminded her when I was driving it in FL. She asked what year it was? She was shocked that it was newer than the Gallardo and thought it was a cross between a GTR and 360 Ferrari. While I do not agree with her, that is an example of the opinion of the untrained, non car lover who spends a lot of time in nice cars. I actually liked it more than ever yesterday at that traffic light!

The McLaren is all about the slightest aero and millisecond racing differences. Most owners are like me and find all these cars to be wickedly fast and care more about how much fun they are. Lambo operates from and invented fun and insanity. So, McLaren would need to care more about looks and excitement to sway many of us. Oh, yours is a split second faster around that track, cool. Mine's a supermodel who likes to be loud and party.

I must like it; I keep going back to look at the pictures. There's a few styling queues from the F1, in particular the side windows, which, unfortunately, (for me), don't look quite right.

I daresy "in the flesh" it's a stunner, (certainly the fax machine looks better in reality), but at the moment it looks like they've tried a little too hard to integrate some F1 DNA into the design. Maybe the design's a bit contrived/cynical?

Does one sit in the middle, I wonder?

Mind you, I prefer it to the Way-Hey-Hey, which is starting to look dated & no-one's bought one yet, (statement may include inaccuracies).

I LOVE IT!!! It's so extreme while still having nice rounded curves and looks like a race car. It looks like nothing else on the road. I haven't really been wow'ed by the new car designs as of late: Regular Mclaren, Aventador, 458. They all look so "out played", "regular" for being a super car, but this is INSANE!

The front end blackout part reminds me of a Baleen Whale Krill eating grin. Overall the car reminds me of the Tommy Kaira design from Japan....It looks ok to me but Id assume that it would look positive sinister in all black.

• 2 weeks later...

Used to be a lot of cars had sexy front ends and the rears were afterthoughts. Now the rears look good but the fronts are butt ugly.