First photos of the McLaren P1

Nath4N

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the looks of it, but I am not at all impressed by how it sounds. When you compare that sound to the Aventador or even older exotics like pre-LP Gallardo, Carrera GT, or 360CS, it is completely lacking balls.

Sounds too similar to an MP4-12C. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping for something more "Olympian"...if that word can be used to describe a sound for a halo car...

I like the looks of it, but I am not at all impressed by how it sounds. When you compare that sound to the Aventador or even older exotics like pre-LP Gallardo, Carrera GT, or 360CS, it is completely lacking balls.

A turbo does that to the exhaust sound, you can't really compare a turbo car to a NA one when it comes to sound.

A turbo does that to the exhaust sound, you can't really compare a turbo car to a NA one when it comes to sound.

I agree, but a GTR sounds more exotic than this car. For the kind of money this car will sell for, it should look, perform, and sound the part of a hyper exotic.

Now that I see it with people inside the cabin looks very small, out of proportion, I am underwhelmed by this car, sound and look, I am expecting more from McLaren's halo car.

as far as i can tell its just driving around rather normally. I'm not sure what you guys expect/want it to sound like when its cruising.

Sometimes the more I see a car it grows on me (430) and sometimes my opinion stays the same and sometimes the more I see it the less I like it (458). The P1 falls in the category the more I see it the less I like it. :gay:

People complaining about the sound have no idea what they're talking about... The car is doing max 3000 rpm with probably 1/4 throttle in a standard driving mode. At 9000 rpm at full throttle in track mode it will sound totally different...

Accelerator, not the best clip but it will give you some idea, Ferrari's family car sounds better than McLaren's Halo car, at least based on what we've seen and heard so far and if we use the MP12 as an indication the P1 won't sound like a fire breathing monster.

I wouldn't go so far saying people who complain about the sound don't know what they are talking about, it's an opinion based on info at hand, when it comes to sports cars and driving them sound is a very important part of the overall experience, the sound plays its part at different ranges, rpm, speed etc. at every level a different sound is expected, the absence or poor quality of it will completely change the way you feel about a particular car and the overall experience.

Accelerator, not the best clip but it will give you some idea, Ferrari's family car sounds better than McLaren's Halo car, at least based on what we've seen and heard so far and if we use the MP12 as an indication the P1 won't sound like a fire breathing monster.

I wouldn't go so far saying people who complain about the sound don't know what they are talking about, it's an opinion based on info at hand, when it comes to sports cars and driving them sound is a very important part of the overall experience, the sound plays its part at different ranges, rpm, speed etc. at every level a different sound is expected, the absence or poor quality of it will completely change the way you feel about a particular car and the overall experience.

:iamwithstupid:

The McLaren F1 gets your heart racing when you hear it start up, at WOT it is absolutely insane. Yes, I realize that is comparing a NA car to a Turbo car, but that is the kind of experience I expect from the McLaren Halo car. If it sounds like your average 335i with an exhaust...well count me unimpressed.

You do realize the car has different modes that change the exhaust note, right? What you're hearing in the p1 video is equivalent to the FF at 1:04 in the video you posted. Nothing close to what it sounds like at full blast in the most aggressive mode.

You do realize the car has different modes that change the exhaust note, right? What you're hearing in the p1 video is equivalent to the FF at 1:04 in the video you posted. Nothing close to what it sounds like at full blast in the most aggressive mode.

I don't and I can't realize anything because I know nothing about its running gear, modes, etc, you on the other hand must know the car very intimately in order to make those statements with such certainty, for that reason and for the simple fact that the P1 does not excite me at all I am not interested discussing it further.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks way too much like MP412C for that money. I know it is using a ton of new parts but to share the same tub and adding a million on the price seems like a scam.

Not putting the driver seat in the middle was a major fail IMO. That is a McLaren claim to fame and would really pay homage to the F1.

Looks way too much like MP412C for that money. I know it is using a ton of new parts but to share the same tub and adding a million on the price seems like a scam.

Not putting the driver seat in the middle was a major fail IMO. That is a McLaren claim to fame and would really pay homage to the F1.

:iamwithstupid:

People have spent how much buying V12 Lambos which have effectively dinosaur tech tubular chassis setup? Also how many car manufacturers share components across the range?

What other manufacturer out there can release such a high performance vehicle? Look at losses accrued by VW for the Veyron project. McLaren are producing a hyper car using clever cost conscientious manufacturing processes. McLaren as a road car manufacturer are new and have done a remarkable job producing what they have.

Producing another chassis tub specific to the P1 would require another production line and the costs associated with that are astronomical and so would drive the price up. Why do that when the component in question (the tub) is so well engineered using technical experience gained from F1 that designing a new one would be a colossal waste of time and money.

I know I have said it before but look at overheating issues on the special edition gallardos and you wonder if they have seen a wind tunnel. At least with the P1 it will be have been styled to work right as the a aero functionality is a key factor in the car's performance.

I like the smooth curves of what we have actually seen of the P1. Frankly I am getting bored of the angular over creased designs all the manufacturers are passing off as design. They are creating striking but not beautiful cars.

Since when has buying a hand made tailored shirt and then never ironing it looking good? Yet that is what seems to be the case with the current crop of the design houses.

For me the P1's curves are reminiscent of the Miura but this time they work.

People have spent how much buying V12 Lambos which have effectively dinosaur tech tubular chassis setup? Also how many car manufacturers share components across the range?

The Lamborghini V12 engine and chassis are exclusive to the top range models from Lamborghini. If you want that V12 you have to buy a top of the range model. The current car has a full carbon chassis. It is not fair to judge a car that isn't even available yet to another companies model that was discontinued 4 model years ago (Aventador has vins released in MY11, 12 and 13 now). Also, the Aventador starts under 400k USD and the P1 is supposed to be approx. triple that price.

What other manufacturer out there can release such a high performance vehicle? Look at losses accrued by VW for the Veyron project. McLaren are producing a hyper car using clever cost conscientious manufacturing processes. McLaren as a road car manufacturer are new and have done a remarkable job producing what they have.

Producing another chassis tub specific to the P1 would require another production line and the costs associated with that are astronomical and so would drive the price up. Why do that when the component in question (the tub) is so well engineered using technical experience gained from F1 that designing a new one would be a colossal waste of time and money.

I know I have said it before but look at overheating issues on the special edition gallardos and you wonder if they have seen a wind tunnel. At least with the P1 it will be have been styled to work right as the a aero functionality is a key factor in the car's performance.

I like the smooth curves of what we have actually seen of the P1. Frankly I am getting bored of the angular over creased designs all the manufacturers are passing off as design. They are creating striking but not beautiful cars.

Since when has buying a hand made tailored shirt and then never ironing it looking good? Yet that is what seems to be the case with the current crop of the design houses.

For me the P1's curves are reminiscent of the Miura but this time they work.

Who cares about the performance differences in a P1 vs an Aventador, MP4, GT2, or even a GTR! it's all what you like. All the cars are beyond 99.999% of the drivers abilities. When people complain about the differences in these modern cars shift times and whatnot I laugh. It reminds me when I was learning how to use some computer programs and people around me would say, "It's not working right! This computer is not working correctly!" 100% of the time it was user error. The performance differences are irrelevant. Some people actually convince themselves that they are able to exploit the differences. Truth is, it's all about the feel of the car and the looks. People don't like to admit that but that's the truth.

That said, I like the looks of the P1. I don't like that it has the same engine and chassis as the MP4. I don't like that it costs a million + knowing the main components (not sure about the gearbox) are the same as their entry level car that is 1/5th the price.

I don't agree with the Miura comparison at all. It looks pretty interesting but relax on that! I'll cut you some slack and chalk it up as national pride. :icon_mrgreen:

they had the P1 premier last night in Mia that i unfortunately had to miss :(

but i have been hearing all day that the car in person looks insane!

They aren't worried about this car they know people will buy it even if it's shaped like that one off turd they recently built.

Street cars are about emotions not really about performance, not recently anyway, you have the GTR blowing the doors off almost every other car one the planet past and present and it looks like a bag of bricks, wind tunnel my ass, save that nonsense for the race cars there isn't much wind resistance crusing down Sunset.

The buyer which writes a cheque for $1.5 mil cares about exclusivity, these type of cars are a very clever marketing excercise, irrespective of how they look, perform etc they will sell.McLaren is very smart, rebody the existing entry level few tweaks here and there turn around and ask $1,000,000 extra, brilliant, genius, will it be 5 to 6 times better than the donor car? Not a chance!People will buy it and that's all that matters.

Ferrari does it well, their halo cars are ground up, generally awesome machines and they the ones that are money in the bank. I would buy one in a heartbeat but they aren't available here, the only reason why I would is so I can double my money.At least you know you will not be buying a rebodied 458 for a cool extra mil.

Funny how its ok when McLaren does it but when Lambo put a body kit on the Murci and sold it for an extra million all hell broke loose :icon_mrgreen:

I'd like to state for the record that I like the P1 just as much as I like the Gallardo and the Aventador.

I'd like to state for the record that I like the P1 just as much as I like the Gallardo and the Aventador.

And

for that reason and for the simple fact that the P1 does not excite me at all I am not interested discussing it further.

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: