NCAA Football Thread

Roman

Crazy day in football... And I missed every game... Power went out at 9 AM and didnt come back on til 9 PM....

1 Alabama

2 Oregon

3 South Carolina

4 West VA

5 Cinci

6 Kansas St

7 Rutgers

8 Ohio

9 Notre Dame

10 Louisiana Tech

11 Florida

12 Mississippi St

13 Louisville

14 Ohio State

15 Oregon St

16 UTSA

17 Toledo

18 Georgia

19 Baylor

20 Texas

21 Oklahoma

22 Texas A&M

23 LSU

24 Texas Tech

25 Iowa State

On the bubble: USC, Duke,

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Incredible. At least a third of those teams are undefeated and play worthless teams, and shouldn't even be ranked IMO. Case in point-what would happen to Louisiana Tech if they played LSU?

Notre Dame actually looked good against a pretty strong Miami team yesterday.

Incredible. At least a third of those teams are undefeated and play worthless teams, and shouldn't even be ranked IMO. Case in point-what would happen to Louisiana Tech if they played LSU?

Notre Dame actually looked good against a pretty strong Miami team yesterday.

I dont know... We could ask Illinois and Virgina, or maybe we could go down the road and ask Louisiana Monroe what they think of the almighty SEC. The fact is, thats the whole point of this poll.... If I just wanted to do a traditional popularity contest I wouldnt waste my time. The fact is, the NCAA top to bottom is CHANGING. The talent pool has expanded... The old powerhouses arent safe anymore. (And my guess is, youre just talking out of your ass... You have no idea who those "Worthless" undefeated teams play, because you cant be bothered. You just assume they suck.)

Im not worried about week teams going undefeated... IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. Im worried about giving 1 and 2 loss loss teams a pass "just because" especially at this point in the year.

Bottom line- LSU- NOT THAT GOOD OF A TEAM. I expect them to finish out of the top 25.

And BTW... Your characterization of Miami as "pretty strong"??? They TIED Georgia Tech, who are HORRIBLE- 4 Losses including Middle Tennesee. Thats not "Pretty strong" in my book... They play in the WORST CONFERENCE in the BCS AQ. Thats right, the Big East is MUCH TOUGHER this year than the ACC.... And they got EMBARRASSED by ND (who just a few weeks ago, somebody was giving me shit for ranking as well- Go fcuking figure) Miami is ranked #64 out of 124.

Be honest with yourself... You want those "Worthless" undefeated teams out of the poll to make room for the Florida teams YOU LIKE.

How does Notre Dame stay in the top 25 by just squeaking past Perdue? And they were damn lucky at that.

Just sayin'

Louisiana Tech has played no ranked teams thus far. They shouldn't be ranked anywhere until they beat a ranked team-at leastIMO. Not enough emphasis in any of the polls anywhere due to strength of schedule. They have pulled off big points in all games, which shows they have a very explosive offense,but also have a 35 point average against them, which when they play a good team will be exposed. They barely squeaked off a win against Virginia, an will be playing a pretty good team in Texas A&M which is the only ranked team on their schedule.

UTSA has played nobody-2nd example.

A team like West Virginia has beaten Baylor and Texas, so they belong where they are.

The whole, if you are undefeated you should be ranked thing has never sat well with me. Has nothing to do with what teams I like. Heck I thought Florida sucked until their performance this weekend against LSU which isn't a great team this year due to their loss in personnel.

Louisiana Tech has played no ranked teams thus far. They shouldn't be ranked anywhere until they beat a ranked team-at leastIMO. Not enough emphasis in any of the polls anywhere due to strength of schedule. They have pulled off big points in all games, which shows they have a very explosive offense,but also have a 35 point average against them, which when they play a good team will be exposed. They barely squeaked off a win against Virginia, an will be playing a pretty good team in Texas A&M which is the only ranked team on their schedule.

UTSA has played nobody-2nd example.

A team like West Virginia has beaten Baylor and Texas, so they belong where they are.

The whole, if you are undefeated you should be ranked thing has never sat well with me. Has nothing to do with what teams I like. Heck I thought Florida sucked until their performance this weekend against LSU which isn't a great team this year due to their loss in personnel.

You're still not getting this.... The whole idea of "they haven't played a ranked team yet" goes against the very purpose and premise of this exercise, which is to GET THE POLLS RIGHT AT THE END OF THE YEAR.... NOT USE THE ARBITRARINESS OF THEM TO STACK THE OUTCOME OF PARTICULAR TEAMS FROM START TO FINISH... WHO a team beats is IRRELEVANT... Because IT TELLS US NOTHING except that they are better than that team... And we dont know how good THAT team is... After all, if they got beaten by a lower ranked team, they werent as good as we thought. REGARDLESS of what some arbitrary poll says they are.... THE POLLS ARE SHIT. A team Could schedule A national champion Auburn only to have them turn into dog shit the next two years.... I give teams points for things THEY have control over... WIN AND LOSSES... Not some bullshit,"This week I pulled LSU out of a hat and decided they were the #2 team in the country so beating them should mean more than beating the team that came out of the hat #65."

But lets look at your proposal... Should you have to beat a ranked team the week you played them? What if they drop the next 7 games.... Youd still want to give them credit for that win over the "Ranked team" wouldnt you? If not, you could have 12 different teams get credit for beating the #1 team (the particular week they played them) and that tells us NOTHING EITHER.... (Aside from being mathematically untenable).

Win... Stay at the top... Lose drop...no... PLUMMETT... If the team that beats you loses, that hurts you too.... Because it tells us relatively speaking, how good of a team you are... And at the end of the season, we have a much better idea of who is best based solely on wins, losses and PROVEN strength... Rather than ASSUMED strength.

Who a team gets BEATEN by tells us a lot more about how good they are.... And going into week 7 there are only what? 17 unbeaten teams left?

What a weekend! There were some great games, but to me, the most entertaining was the Standford/Arizona game...lots of fun to watch. I was also surprised with Texas...I think they may have had better luck if they would have aired it out a little more...still a fun game to watch.

West Virginia just got DESTROYED by Texas Tech

Yep.... That looks UGLY.... Some more BIG moves today.

Well i guess that South Carolina loss moves Notre Dame into the top 4 unless you can make the case for Kansas State. Ohio st had to hold on against Indiana?

Not in my poll... In my poll Notre Dame Dropped today as well... I count ties.

BTW for those who were ridiculing Louisiana Tech last week, You might want to turn the A&M game on... 46/44 with 11 minutes left.

Final score 59-57 A&M...

Week 7 Top 25

1 Alabama

2 Oregon

3 Cinci

4 Kansas St

5 Rutgers

6 Ohio

7 Florida

8 Mississippi St

9 Louisville

10 Ohio State

11 Oregon St

12 Notre Dame

13 Toledo

14 Oklahoma

15 Texas A&M

16 LSU

17 Texas Tech

18 South Carolina

19 West VA

20 Georgia

21 Clemson

22 TCU

23 Northwestern

24 Florida State

25 USC

On the Bubble: ASU, Western Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Northern Illinois, Louisiana Lafayette, Boise St, Tulsa

RDad, any favorite candidate for the Heisman Trophy at this point in the season?

RDad, any favorite candidate for the Heisman Trophy at this point in the season?

Still too early in the season for that one... In a season like this (which I would say is devoid of any REALLY GREAT players or REALLY GREAT teams- Nobody is ever going to say "Boy, remember the 2012_______? Now that was one of the greatest teams EVER...") the Heisman will be decided Thanksgiving weekend... A SINGLE PLAY in a big rivalry (look to the SC /Notre Dame game???) will win the thing by default.

My "most likely to get it" right now just based on overall performance would be Collin Klein... And I still like Kansas St as a team... If they run the table, they are a likely National Championship team and that always helps....

The guy I would actually vote for right now would probably be Marqise Lee of USC.... Obviously a darkhorse and not likely to actually win it, but the guy is INCREDIBLE in space... He routinely turns blown plays into 20 yard gains... The one standout bright spot on the Trojan offense.

Honestly, I haven't been blown away by anyone else.... I think Barkley was the guy to beat going into the season, but he just hasnt looked that good... Maybe Manti Te'o if the Irish keep winning? It would be great to see a Defensive guy get it for a change... And he has a made for TV story... He is set up to be the next Junior Seau.

Florida #2 in the BCS...whatafricken joke... :jackoff:

That whole poll is bullshit.

1 Alabama

2 Oregon

3 Kansas St

4 Rutgers

5 Ohio

6 Florida

7 Mississippi St

8 Louisville

9 Oregon St

10 Notre Dame

11 Ohio State

12 Toledo

13 Oklahoma

14 LSU

15 Clemson

16 Georgia

17 Florida State

18 USC

19 Cinci

20 Louisiana Tech

21 North Illinois

22 Tulsa

23 Boise St

24 Kent State

25 Texas Tech

On the Cusp: TCU, Nevada

I also wonder why #6 position for the Gators (in RD polls). They pounded the fcuk out of #14 South Carolina this weekend.

What I also don't understand is Ohio State is 8-0 and isn't ranked (in BCS polls)! They barely beat Purdue this week, but they haven't lost a game! Louisville is ranked #16 (also undefeated)and almost was beaten this week by a 2-4 USF team

I also wonder why #6 position for the Gators (in RD polls). They pounded the fcuk out of #14 South Carolina this weekend.

What I also don't understand is Ohio State is 8-0 and isn't ranked (in BCS polls)! They barely beat Purdue this week, but they haven't lost a game! Louisville is ranked #16 (also undefeated)and almost was beaten this week by a 2-4 USF team

Again... I dont care who "Pounded the fcuk out of who" or what the ranking of the team they beat was... For Florida to move up, the teams ranked above them have to lose. A team's ranking at this point of the year is IRRELEVANT!!!! Especially as a yard stick of teams that beat them! The teams at the top of this list have TWO YEARS of success under their belt.... Theyre at the TOP of the list because they established a high ranking at the end of LAST year, they carried that ranking over to this year, and NOBODY HAS PROVEN THEY DONT DESERVE TO STAY THERE... This seems to me the only fair way to dothis when teams dont generally play each other until the bowl season.... Ive made getting into those bowls, and doing well in them MATTER for something! Because of that legacy of success, THEY HAVE EARNED THE RIGHT TO CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINY.... Florida was not great last year... WHY should I ignore that and just say "OK.... These other teams have done a lot more than you, but Im going to ignore that and rank you higher.."??? Alabama went 12-1 last year. Oregon 12-2. Ohio and Kansas st went 10-3 last year... Rutgers went 9-4. Florida went 7-6. And that is why they dont deserve to be above those other undefeated teams yet. I have no way to know that Florida is better than those other teams until they play each other, or those other teams LOSE.

If Florida finishes undefeated, they will finish in the top 4 or better... Hell.. Maybe even number 1... And NEXT year would TOTALLY be in charge of their own destiny. This year, in my world, they haven't earned it yet. (Rutgers and louisvile play each other... At least one is dropping out of the top 10. Alabama and Florida play each other. At least one of them is gone too. Oregon and Oregon St play. One is gone for sure... relax... Let the season play out.).

Imagine if Alabama and florida didnt play each other.... And Oregon goes undefeated this year... After only dropping two games last year. You think a team that went 7-6 last year, somehow deserves to go to the national championship more than they do? THATS WHATS wrong with the current system, and why Im doing this poll... This shuffling of teams based on hunches and popularity rather than performance over time, is what keeps certain teams and conferences at the top, and other teams shut out. The fact is, that I believe that an UNBIASED ranking system like this were in place for the last ten years, the National Championship picture would have looked MUCH different. I have zero doubt Boise St would have won one or more of them.... But that would have fucked up the whole (corrupt) system.

Ohio st wont be in the BCS- They are ineligible to play post season.

They dropped in my poll because I count a win in OVERTIME as a TIE. Lets face it, the overtime rule is a complete fcuking joke and has more to do with who wins the coin toss than anything else. My poll has brought back the tie... Win IN REGULATION, or drop a half a game back.