Domestic Heating Thermostats - Nest or EcoBee 02

deekss

Dear LP perfectionsists, I stayed in an apartment on East Coast recently, it had a Nest thermostat (1st Gen) controlling HVAC. I was very impressed. We have nothing like this in Europe - short of full home automation.

I'm back in the US shortly, was going to pick one up for UK project. Seen loads of bad reviews, amongst some good ones, on Amazon. Alternative of Ecobee EB02 suggested. Issues around Nest Gen 2 such as software glitches and poor range for movement detection - one of the key features. Also can't find out of these can display centigrade or just fahrenheit. We've embraced the metric system (well some of it) over here..

I'm aware of electrically how you do stuff in the US, i.e. supply with 24VDC and switch at low DC voltages. All euro stuff is 240V switching, so am anticipating a DC PSU and relays to switch the load.

Any info or tips would be appreciated.

Actually, in the US, we switch at 24VAC. The EcoBee and Honeywell can display Centigrade...Not sure about the Nest.

Are you looking to do any internet control of your system remotely?

I bought EcoBee and love it... it have a few more features than Nest and I think is more customizable. Either way, you can't go wrong. I have been using EcoBee for almost 16 months now... love the iOS app... also one for Android too.

Does anyone use any of the multi-room controllers/systems?

My house faces north/south and the back of the house (southside) is always much warmer than the north side. My daughters room which is in the front of the house is usually 7-9 degrees cooler than our room. I know there has to be ways to create multi zone cooling/heating with a single HVAC unit.

Does anyone use any of the multi-room controllers/systems?

My house faces north/south and the back of the house (southside) is always much warmer than the north side. My daughters room which is in the front of the house is usually 7-9 degrees cooler than our room. I know there has to be ways to create multi zone cooling/heating with a single HVAC unit.

EWC control systems are probably the most cost effective solution to creating 'zones' from a single zone system.

Honeywell Prestige is the best. Problem with the Nest is that it is not "programmable" it is just "learning" and it can be frustrating sometimes unless your schedule is robotic.

Actually, in the US, we switch at 24VAC. The EcoBee and Honeywell can display Centigrade...Not sure about the Nest.

Are you looking to do any internet control of your system remotely?

The plan is to be able to control this remotely from office, mobile etc.

Thanks for the info regarding AC !

It's down to the Ecobee or Honeywell then...

Thanks everyone for the responses !

Honeywell Prestige is the best. Problem with the Nest is that it is not "programmable" it is just "learning" and it can be frustrating sometimes unless your schedule is robotic.

The nest is programable, you can set the time for whatever you want.

programmable-thermostat-inline1.png

I bought EcoBee and love it... it have a few more features than Nest and I think is more customizable. Either way, you can't go wrong. I have been using EcoBee for almost 16 months now... love the iOS app... also one for Android too.

Oh gosh I remember trying to wire that up. Ha I would crush that install in about 30 seconds after the last 12 months with Westinghouse.

Oh gosh I remember trying to wire that up. Ha I would crush that install in about 30 seconds after the last 12 months with Westinghouse.

Is this something that's easy to swap out with an existing thermostat? My current thermostat is super basic.

Is this something that's easy to swap out with an existing thermostat? My current thermostat is super basic.

In a word...no. From what I remember it wanted an additional line right back to the furnace in addition to the normal. Also Docta had a funky hvac system that complicated it a bit more. I've upgraded from plain old dial thermostats to fully programable ones before and it was not that easy by any means.

Sorry.

The nest is simple to install, usually just four wires.

I can control the temp from anywhere with my iPhone, if I am out of town its nice to turn the temp up 1 hour before I get home.