Tips for finding the best possible law firm?

sprite

I was wondering how you go about finding the best possible law firm to help within a specific field? What's the best way to research the possible candidates and the credentials of the lawyers?

Is it normally better to go with a big firm or a smaller more boutique firm?

Go with the one with the biggest tits. Honestly, the best way is to talk to your current lawyer and ask him/her.

As far as big/small firm, I've had mixed results. Sometimes you need the big firms name to scare the shit out of your adversaries, there are times when the name alone will do the trick if it goes further than that though, I've always had better luck with a boutique firm where you have more one on one interaction.

I was wondering how you go about finding the best possible law firm to help within a specific field? What's the best way to research the possible candidates and the credentials of the lawyers?

Is it normally better to go with a big firm or a smaller more boutique firm?

It depends on the specific field. The guy I like for employment litigation isn't the guy I'd like for insurance defense. If you wanted an IP litigator for example, I'd ask whether your talking copyrights, trademarks or patents and I'd send you to a different guy depending on which of those fields you were after. If you wanted a stand up trial lawyer I'd ask what state your case was in and what the case was about and whether you were in federal court or state court. Tons of different recommendations depending on your circumstance. I went from a mid-sized 200 lawyer firm to open my own shop of with a little over 10 lawyers. Although we compete for fortune 500 work in two or three of our niche areas, we don't even bother in others.

One thing to do is see who other people are hiring for the same work.

Big firm/small firm: There are plenty of big firm lawyers who have opened their own IP boutiques. There are plenty of big time trial lawyers who have never worked at big firms.

The field I'm interested in is immigration. I am trying to find out if I can qualify for any of the Alien with Extraordinary Abilities work visas (EB-1, EB-2, Schedule A). I'm also thinking immigration is a topic where a lawyer with a lot of 'connections' is beneficial. It's also one of those things where if you fcuk it up you screw yourself for the future. I don't mind paying top dollar for the best of the best, but I want to do thorough research before I pick a firm.

Sprite I thought you could migrate under an investment visa, I am not 100% certain of how it works but a while ago I briefly looked at it, you have to invest a certain amount possibly provide employment opportunities etc.It was quite simple and straight forward from what I can recall.

Best of luck :icon_thumleft:

Sprite I thought you could migrate under an investment visa, I am not 100% certain of how it works but a while ago I briefly looked at it, you have to invest a certain amount possibly provide employment opportunities etc.It was quite simple and straight forward from what I can recall.

Best of luck :icon_thumleft:

The investor's visa is one option I'm considering, however I want to explore all options :) There is also this: http://startupvisa.com which I have no idea if will materialize or not and if so how many years it will take. I am thinking I might be able to qualify for some sort of visa since I have a steady income (tax dollars for the US) and I hold both a Bachelor and Master of Science from a US university from which I graduated valedictorian both times.

The investor's visa is one option I'm considering, however I want to explore all options :) There is also this: http://startupvisa.com which I have no idea if will materialize or not and if so how many years it will take. I am thinking I might be able to qualify for some sort of visa since I have a steady income (tax dollars for the US) and I hold both a Bachelor and Master of Science from a US university from which I graduated valedictorian both times.

I don't have much advice here, but just wanted.to say well done! Val both times is damn impressive.

Good luck I am sure you will sort something out, you don't strike me as a guy who gives up :icon_thumleft:

The field I'm interested in is immigration. I am trying to find out if I can qualify for any of the Alien with Extraordinary Abilities work visas (EB-1, EB-2, Schedule A). I'm also thinking immigration is a topic where a lawyer with a lot of 'connections' is beneficial. It's also one of those things where if you fcuk it up you screw yourself for the future. I don't mind paying top dollar for the best of the best, but I want to do thorough research before I pick a firm.

I have a friend that is an immigration lawyer, she used to work for the INS. I will pm you her info. She specializes in difficult cases.

I have a friend that is an immigration lawyer, she used to work for the INS. I will pm you her info. She specializes in difficult cases.

Perfect. Thanks :)

Good luck Sprite! Whatever you do just make sure we only let you in and not Slowpoke. I don't think we could handle him here on a regular basis!!! Not to mention he'd get deported right away for stalking Megan Fox.

I'll go one step further. I have a friend that's an immigration lawyer that was also a federal immigration judge...

I'll go one step further. I have a friend that's an immigration lawyer that was also a federal immigration judge...

I've got a friend that could help, but the backstory is a little odd. 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

you could always wait to see what immigration "reform" looks like and maybe you can buy yourself to citizenship instead of paying an attorney...who knows how that mess is going to turn up but I do think there is a chance it happens this year.

I've got a friend that could help, but the backstory is a little odd. 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

:lol2: I knew it as soon as i saw "crack commando unit"!

Just do what I do when seeking counsel, start with the sleaziest lawyer in town (think bus benches and late night tv infomercials) and work your way down until you find the solution.