Remanufactured clutch! Thoughts?

alpha6164

What is overall consensus on reman'd clutch kits. I see new clutches going from $3300-4500 and reman'd ones going for around $2k. Just wanted to know everyones thoughts.

Spend the money and get a new one. Not worth it to go any other way, as I've heard stories on how remanufactured ones and non OEM ones can be a Pain in the ass in the long run.

With the amount of work involved just to get to the damn thing, I wouldn't be skimping on parts just to save a few bucks. When you're 19, driving a 10yr old civic and have two buddies helping you change it on the side of the road in front of your shitty apartment then by all means get the cheapest one possible. In this case, just to minimize any future headache I would spend the $$ on the real deal.

Isnt the majority of the cost in the man hours needed to drop the engine out of the car to get to the clutch? With that being said wouldnt you want to spend more and do it less often?

I never said i would want to put something inferior in my car. This is why i was asking if someone has any ACTUAL information on the reman'd ones. The difference is roughly $2k. And yes it is not "a lot" of money but i look at it as hell that is my nice weekend hotel in Vegas or South Beach. If the two perform equally why pay the $2k more? But if the consensus is that there are issues with them then be all means have no issue dropping the money for a new one.

Think of it as your spending $4k on labor no matter how you slice it, would you risk saving $2k just to end up another $4K in the hole to rectify the mistake?

to actually answer your question--If all the parts in the disc etc are actually reman'd --springs changed ----fingers good and substrate straight and true and the new lining of as good as if not better than oem quality i would see no reason not to go ahead with reman unit--but that is a lot of ifs so to speak--i used some reman clutch in a supercharged s-2k for a while with upgraded friction material and higher clamp pressure from the pressure plate and it was a real improvement but it was NOT cheaper than an oem unit just superior--don't forget at the bottom of it the clutch pack for any vehicle is not made by the oem (ie Lambo) and we have no idea how many vendors there are making them for OEM and what quality levels they actually have--many manufacturers have multiple vendors for this kind of stuff so assuming that there is some kind of superior made by little lambo guys stuff going on is probably not reasonable to assume-

I think the reman kevlar clutches are better than oem.

All the techs say different, say the new OEM last longer, launch smoother and put less stress on the drivetrain.