Leaded Race Fuel Question - 2004 Gallardo

itsjinx

Could anyone enlighten me about using 110 LEADED Renegade "Formula R+M/2" race gas? It's the only high octane gas around me at a local sunoco, however it is leaded. Could someone answer these few questions please:

1. Will it hurt my 2004 gallardo? I have no cats, high flow filters, and re-programmed ECU. The owner told me it was okay to use this gas as long as I rotated every other tank with 94 unleaded.

2. Is there any place ONLINE to buy race gas? If so, has anyone done this and could show me where to buy the BEST race gas for my G?

3. Is there any fuel ADDITIVE that I should put in along with the leaded fuel?

Thank you for any info!

where are you located? leaded gas would probably not get along with your O2 sensors and cats (although you have no cats so that would be a non-issue). why not run unleaded? VP offers some very high octane unleaded fuels, we used to run C16 in out race car

I'm in metro detroit 48309.... I'm not sure what "VP" is/means, so please enlighten me :)

Dude, Kisco a member on here has a UGR TT Gallardo. I believe he ordered C16. I would avoid the leaded fuel. PM him and ask for details on his fuel.

My guess is that running the leaded fuel would also foul your plugs, in time.

My guess is that running the leaded fuel would also foul your plugs, in time.

Not true.

You can run a little leaded "if you have to" without too much worrying about the 02's. But eventually they will fail after hundreds, and hundreds of gallons of lead. Don't worry...You'll know when they're dead.

Check with any local speed shop and they should be able to get you some unleaded high octane stuff.

But not sure why you need it...The higher you go over the octane that you "need", the less power you will make.

Stock gallardos will run fine on 91.

If you are not tuned for race fuel, running it will not benefit you in ANY way! Don't waste your money.

Not true.

You can run a little leaded "if you have to" without too much worrying about the 02's. But eventually they will fail after hundreds, and hundreds of gallons of lead. Don't worry...You'll know when they're dead.

Check with any local speed shop and they should be able to get you some unleaded high octane stuff.

But not sure why you need it...The higher you go over the octane that you "need", the less power you will make.

Stock gallardos will run fine on 91.

Good point.. He was however talking about the plugs.

Plugs in time with leaded fuel and boost will indeed need to be replaced.

Like others have said, there will be ABSOLUTELY no upside to running race fuel in your car, and several potential downsides based on the lead. It is stock, run pump 93 octane. Unless you just like wasting money and replacing o2 sensors

Like others have said, there will be ABSOLUTELY no upside to running race fuel in your car, and several potential downsides based on the lead. It is stock, run pump 93 octane. Unless you just like wasting money and replacing o2 sensors

I hear what everyone is saying, but I can only say for me and my setup - it absolutely increases response and takeoff. It's not placebo, the 111 citgo turbo blue I've used drastically increased power. Keep in mind, that I've had the ECU tuned for 'high octane' fuel so perhaps thats why I notice such an increase. I can't speak for anyone else's vehicle but like I said it does increase atleast the response time in my G....

I hear what everyone is saying, but I can only say for me and my setup - it absolutely increases response and takeoff. It's not placebo, the 111 citgo turbo blue I've used drastically increased power. Keep in mind, that I've had the ECU tuned for 'high octane' fuel so perhaps thats why I notice such an increase. I can't speak for anyone else's vehicle but like I said it does increase atleast the response time in my G....

Unless it was tuned for that specific octane, you will not see a difference. If it was tuned for race fuel, you shouldn't run anything other than that in it, as you run the chance of hurting the engine.

The gains would be minimal by increasing timing. its placebo. I just dont believe you, sorry. Show me some dyno sheets before and after. And to m3jasper's point you would HAVE to always run it, if you didnt you would hurt the engine. The engine does not change fuel tables/timing maps based on the octane of fuel because it DOES NOT KNOW.

If you were running a forced induction car then you would have a leg to stand on, but someone making a naturally aspired tune that requires 110 octane is just absurd, you would have to tear the motor apart and bump the compression up around 14-15:1 before you would need such fuel on a naturally aspirated motor.

The only reason to run race fuel on a stock engine is so you can brag to people that your car runs on race fuel. Completely pointless and ignorant.

If you were boosted, then it would be a different story.