Official photos of the 2014 BMW M4

Nath4N

The M3 coupe replacement. BMW is now using different nomenclature for the coupe and sedan versions of some of its cars, a la Audi. So the next M3 will be a 4 door, while the M4 is the coupe.

It should be the opposite IMO...the 4 door should be the M4..strange

I just can't get excited over bmw's anymore. They need to get back to a purer form and reduce the complexity and dependence on software. The upwards slide of prices needs to be matched with an improvement in quality control. Don't know that I could buy another one, they've lost their luster with me, was happy to unload my last one which was full of mysterious software bugs and strange electrical behaviors.

I fully concur that BMW had lost its lustre especially its M division.

The original E30 and E28 were no-nonsense and almost no-compromise high performance machines build for the autobahn. With each of their new generation/evolution, BMW watered down the performance factor and up the fluff. Now they are just a plethora of electronic gismos with plenty of creature comfort that alienate the machine further and further from the driver. The looks aren't bad but they almost have absolutely no feel --- the "man and machine becomes one" factor had completely disappeared. :(

I just can't get excited over bmw's anymore. They need to get back to a purer form and reduce the complexity and dependence on software. The upwards slide of prices needs to be matched with an improvement in quality control. Don't know that I could buy another one, they've lost their luster with me, was happy to unload my last one which was full of mysterious software bugs and strange electrical behaviors.

I fully concur that BMW had lost its lustre especially its M division.

The original E30 and E28 were no-nonsense and almost no-compromise high performance machines build for the autobahn. With each of their new generation/evolution, BMW watered down the performance factor and up the fluff. Now they are just a plethora of electronic gismos with plenty of creature comfort that alienate the machine further and further from the driver. The looks aren't bad but they almost have absolutely no feel --- the "man and machine becomes one" factor had completely disappeared. :(

I was thinking the same thoughts earlier, about how driving the E36 M3 was just such a great experience and how it was far more enjoyable, and easier, to find the limits versus the exotics of its day. It was head and shoulders above everything else really, even the 911, in terms of steering feel and connection between the driver and the car.

Those days are long gone now it seems.

They're producing much better looking cars now that the Bangle abortions are finally all purged from their system, but the driving experience seems to have been lost somewhere in the battle to compete with massive AMG sales.

Hopefully this one is a driver's car and it signals a return to form for the brand.

BMW runs through my veins, now after owning several M cars. The color on the M4 is Fugly, but the car looks bad ass. I think itll be a great hit. Too bad BMW didn't incorporate some of the styling ideas in the M4 into the M6.

^same here. Current M3 coupe has been the perfect mix of performance and practicality for me. Look forward to trying the next one out and happy BMW still gives us the manual option.

• 4 weeks later...

If they bring back the Laguna Seca Blue for this, I'll be picking one up. Was thinking of going the LP700 and DBS route...but after seeing this...I'm very happy :) I love my E46 and am glad I picked it over an E92...but the main question is going to be what's the price points? The E46 came out at $48K base and then when the E9X's came out the price spiked to $62K base. It'll be interesting to see where it'll fit...I'm already drooling about the CSL-type variant they will make. I am going to need a bigger garage soon...

I am liking the design. Hopefully it will remain intact for the actual release and the ECU will be hack-able.

You can get any color you want through BMW Individual. Ive seen a couple E92 M3's pop up in Laguna Seca Blue.

True...I'm just hoping to say $5K instead of having to jump through BMW's hoops. But it would be good reason for a Euro Delivery...Actually, a friend of mine from high school has an LSB E92...it looks great on the car. Here's a crappy cell pic of our cars taken right before heading down to HRE in June:

10656_637163417919_1983634528_n.jpg

I would love to understand the science of the mirror design.

Same. I hate the E92 M3's mirrors and am not a fan of these as well. The top "bar" is not necessary at all and looks ugly.