Dario Franchitti Forced to Retire

Gilligan740

Dario is done. Sad to hear.

From the article:

"Target Chip Ganassi Racing announced today that three-time Indianapolis 500 Winner and four-time IndyCar Series Champion Dario Franchitti will be unable to continue his auto racing career. The IndyCar Series legend ends his career with 31 Indy car wins (tied for eighth on the all-time list) and 33 poles (sixth on the all-time list)."

Article here.

That is sad to hear. I commend his decision though for health and family. I had put it in the "Damn" thread too.

IIRC Paul, you met him at Rally for the Ranch one year, yes?

That is sad to hear. I commend his decision though for health and family. I had put it in the "Damn" thread too.

IIRC Paul, you met him at Rally for the Ranch one year, yes?

Yes, Dario was kind enough to appear at the Rally for the Ranch last year, just after winning the Indy 500. He was a really nice guy, extremely humble and friendly, and we really appreciated his support. I hope he will continue to to stay around the sport. We'd love to have him back again in 2014.

Funny story, one of our Cars and Coffee members (Hawkeye on Fchat) attended the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio last year. After the race, Dario and his (now ex) wife Ashley Judd's dog jumped into Hawkeye's 599 GTO. Dario was horrified and immediately got him out.

post-10945-1384463668_thumb.jpg

He will be missed but I am just happy that he is recovering well. It's often a blessing to retire from racing.

15 years ago, it'd be a miracle for drivers over 35 year old to be still competing. Most of the drivers then would seriously be pushing their luck if they were to compete at that age. Today, nearly 1/3 of the drivers are between 35-40.

I hope he does stay active in racing. The man has so much experience that I am sure fans and racing teams would benefit from.

Was really hoping he'd make it to four times as Indy 500 winner. I've been watching him race since his CART days and have always enjoyed watching him at Indy. Really a shame. I know he's a true gearhead and loves racing, truly sad.

Dario is one of the nicest and friendliest guys I have met. He would frequently come and hang with us at our private car events and occasionally go on our drives since the road we took was out by where he lives. He is a true car lover and has a great collection of cars in his home country as well as here. As sad as I am for him that he's not racing any longer, I know it's the right choice for him in the long run, especially after losing his dear friend Dan in a race awhile back. I look forward to him joining us more often and focusing on his renewed relationship with Ashley and his new hobbies.

Brutal crash, he is lucky to walk away from it at some point.

Jeff Krosnoff crash/death ploughing into the nets, very similar.

Considering he was good friends with Moore and Wheldon, easy choice. Nothing else to prove, fast and more importantly a realy smart driver (minus the Ashley Judd marriage). Other drivers were faster at times, I always felt Franchitti had game planned for that.

Have been enjoying his column in EVO this year, glad he escaped that wreck and can proceed on to a long retired life of sun and fun.