Testing out my new toy at Niagara Falls

Hovik

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

does it return to you automatically when it's low on battery or becomes out of range as it says?

It's supposed to, but I think you have to have it turned on and stationary for something like 8 seconds for it to remember that spot as "home". Otherwise it lands wherever it is when the battery starts running low.

That's awesome Hovik! Nice work, make sure to upload the off-road stuff, I'd love to see it.

I'm not sure I'll post it as it's just too shaky.

These things are amazing. I started out with the Phantom (still have it).

Here is a picture of it with the landing gear of my CarbonCore Octo:

phantom.jpg

Here is a video from the Phantom (with gimbal):

Notice the yaw. That's why you really need to get a 3 axis, so it's not jumping all over the place. With 3 axis in follow mode, you will have really smooth footage.

Modded with:

Tiger motors

Balanced CF blades (you need to get a good balancer). Get this (best there is): http://hobby.dubro.com/videos/tech-tip-vid...p-balancer-1_17 - remember to balance the props AND the hubs.

2 axis Viacopter brushless gimbal

TP packs anti-vibration mount.

Extended landing gear

Video downlink

859419_10153095218755034_1195477809_o.jpg

Carboncore Octo with 8x870W motors. It can probably lift 10 kg.

2x8000 Mah 6S batteries in parallel

Custom built anti-vibration mount - 2 sheets of plywood and 4 Secraft silicon dampeners.

3 axis gimbal (a must have really to get stable footage - with 2, you will see the yawning way too much):

http://shop.hdairstudio.com/index.php?id_p...troller=product

The gimbal is being sent today (fully assembled). So I will hopefully have it all up and flying before Christmas. Camera will probably be a Nikon D5100.

I'll post a picture here once it's 100% - I just need to mount the gimbal and HDMI adaptor.

Word of warning - if you are upgrading KEEP AWAY FROM DJI. The ONLY DJI product I use now is their flight controller. CarbonCore has great frames that are fairly priced. The DJI S800 is crap.

The hard part with these things is getting the video SILKY smooth. Everything must be balanced as good as you can get them, and even then, there will be lots of vibration and/or jello in the video, so you need to figure out the best anti-vibration solution for your setup. Something that works for one person, might not work for you. If it's too hard, it will transfer the vibrations to the camera. Too soft and the whole video camera will be jumping around. I have seen TV productions where they use multicopters where you see the vibration in the video frame. Building these things are easy - removing the vibration from the video is a freaking art form.

Ouch... that sucks.

I've hit a tree and had a couple of rough landings so far, but no serious damage.

I had a super close call yesterday when I was flying over rocks filming 4x4s and didn't notice the battery light turn red. It hovered for a couple of seconds and wouldn't respond to any input. As advertised it started slowly descending to land and I had to literally run to catch it mid air before it landed on those rocks which would have definitely resulted in damage.

Hovik,

Read up on lipos, this is a great article: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html . You are not suppose to fly it until it's that low. It will damage the battery. Throw that battery away. They will decrease in performance significantly when they are used up like this. Next thing you know and you have a "fully charged battery", flying over water, and 2 minutes later it descends into the water because the battery is dead.

I land mine with about 3,8V per cell unloaded. That will give you a good buffer.

Also, throw your charger away (if you are using the stock one), it's a POS, and get something better. The PowerLabs6/8 is a great choice. It's a $400 station - all in all - with charger, PSU, and charge board, but if you ever get bored of the hobby, you can sell it used for good money. If you don't want to use that much, there are several smaller chargers that only cost $20-$30 that are "good enough" for 3S lipos, but once you go for 6S setups etc, these will be way too slow to be usable in the field.

My PL8 (basically the best charger you can get ATM), can only charge 1 8000mah 6s battery at 5C (charge time: 7-8 minutes). With 2 of these batteries charging at the same time, it would take twice as long. With a $30 charger, the same battery would take hours, so if you have the cash for it get the best charger you can to start with. It will save you time, and keep your batteries in the best condition possible.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Produc...MPA-XH_Combo_60 + http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626229 (24v version) + 6 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/u...idProduct=14543 and you got everything you need :)

That's a lot of info to digest, thanks man! It seems like just as with photography (or probably any hobby) the more you get into it, the more toys, additions and improvements you want to do.

I ordered these yesterday: http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/94/...US/Default.aspx

Cyber Monday deal, they'll be sending me an extra set for free.

Next I'm considering this to get rid of jello: http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/94/...e%2cProductName

My GoPro is an older version, so will probably have to get the 3 then order a gimbal, that's why I'm hesitant. Trying to make it work with my Sony Action Cam at the moment.

Still need to get extended legs like the ones you have and a carry case.

Looks like the Phantom itself was the cheap part of this project! lol

These things are amazing. I started out with the Phantom (still have it).

Here is a video from the Phantom (with gimbal):

That is fantastic.

That's a lot of info to digest, thanks man! It seems like just as with photography (or probably any hobby) the more you get into it, the more toys, additions and improvements you want to do.

I ordered these yesterday: http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/94/...US/Default.aspx

Cyber Monday deal, they'll be sending me an extra set for free.

Next I'm considering this to get rid of jello: http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/94/...e%2cProductName

My GoPro is an older version, so will probably have to get the 3 then order a gimbal, that's why I'm hesitant. Trying to make it work with my Sony Action Cam at the moment.

Still need to get extended legs like the ones you have and a carry case.

Looks like the Phantom itself was the cheap part of this project! lol

No problem. If you have any questions, just ask.

The props look nice, but you should get that balancer. Even the best props aren't perfectly balanced from the factory. Here is a great how-to on balancing props:

You really want everything as balanced as you can possibly get with these things - so you get the very best video. This included the motors, but that's kinda of a PITA.

If you are going to use this to make videos for your YouTube channel, you should at least get a gimbal. Filming from the air is fun at first, but once the "coolness" of it wears off, you only end up with a bad video. It needs to be stable to be usable IMHO. First it's cool, then you see the jello, once you get that sorted, you will see the video moving around. You might as well save yourself the time and go with the DJI gimbal to begin with.

I am not a fan of their gimbal line as it only supports ONE camera/ONE lens, but for the Phantom, it can lift a GoPro comfortably, so you don't really need a gimbal that can take multiple camera/lens options, and with the new price point of the DJI H3-2, it's really not that bad, but I am guessing they are charging less now, as the H3-3 (3 axis - which you "need" to get really good video) is probably right around the corner, so you might want to wait for that :)

But when the time comes, and you want to upgrade, let me know. I will help you get a good frame, because the DJI frames are really sub-par with a huge price premium and horrible custom support.

Then you have to look at FPV screens, videotx/rx, etc, so you see what you are filming.. yupp, a lot of stuff :D

That is fantastic.

I can't find any 3 axis gimbals for GoPro and DJI. Don't really care about FPV at the moment, might just use wifi to see what the camera is seeing on a phone, but I'm pretty good with figuring out what's in frame and what isn't with the wide angle, since I've been using them for so long.

If I can get results like this one with Hero 3 and the H3-2 I'll be pretty satisfied, won't really need to get any further into it.

Also I don't really think I have the skills to install a gimbal. Watched some videos and it looks pretty involved, not just a plug and play.

I can't find any 3 axis gimbals for GoPro and DJI. Don't really care about FPV at the moment, might just use wifi to see what the camera is seeing on a phone, but I'm pretty good with figuring out what's in frame and what isn't with the wide angle, since I've been using them for so long.

If I can get results like this one with Hero 3 and the H3-2 I'll be pretty satisfied, won't really need to get any further into it.

Also I don't really think I have the skills to install a gimbal. Watched some videos and it looks pretty involved, not just a plug and play.

The 3 axis is not out yet, but I think it's right around the corner, but this might only be compatible with the GP3+, as DJI and GoPro have a partnership together, so if I am right here, the new 3 axis will only be available for the customers that have the GP3+. Either way, you might want to wait it out. That way you can see what kind of footage you want, and if it's worth the upgrade. Either way a good charger is never a bad idea. www.hobbyking.com has a lot of good and very cheap stuff. I buy all my batteries for all my RC stuff from them. The Turnigy Nano techs are great batteries for the price. :)

Don't turn on WiFi to get live feed. The Rx/Tx uses the 2,4Ghz band so this will lead to interference, and can result in loss of control. You can use it on the Dji Vision, as the Rx/Tx is on 5Ghz but not on the Phantom.

Anyways, good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

• 1 month later...

Ok. Here is my first video.

So.... I don't understand gimbals etc. tell me about them.... Like I'm an idiot.

I have a hero 2.

Nice pad RD. A Roman and a Countach spotting!!! Little close to your evergreen there near the end. Haha.

Forget about the evergreen.... I had to edit out the 6 takes where I crashed it in the garage.

Forget about the evergreen.... I had to edit out the 6 takes where I crashed it in the garage.

When I first saw it pointing towards the garage I thought there was no way you were going to go in. The fact that you made it in and then out the otherwise left me impressed.

When I first saw it pointing towards the garage I thought there was no way you were going to go in. The fact that you made it in and then out the otherwise left me impressed.

Yeah. When it goes inside the Gps goes out the window. As long as you anticipate that (it finds a heading and just keeps going) you can do it.

Geez, even though I read the last few posts here I was still saying "Watch out for the tree RomanDad!" to my computer watching it.

Great property. Not sure why you park your cars in your huge house but to each his own.

Geez, even though I read the last few posts here I was still saying "Watch out for the tree RomanDad!" to my computer watching it.

Great property. Not sure why you park your cars in your huge house but to each his own.

Lol. Garage is 4000 square feet.

I'm yet to try flying it indoors...

Nice first attempt!

GoPro2 is okay, but the 3 and 3+ have gone much further ahead as far as image quality and recording mode options... I'd suggest picking one of those up for better video quality.

I'm surprised you don't have any jello effect in your video. Is it straight out of the box without any modifications?

Carbon props is another worthy investment.

Gimbals help smooth out the footage and make you look like you're a pro and have been doing this for years. Pick up either tarrot or zenmuse.

Lol. Garage is 4000 square feet.

With a disco ball. :lol2: Great way to reveal the homestead. Between this and the R/C car thread I am guessing there will be plenty of members with controllers in their hands by the time spring rolls around. I'm trying to decide between one or the other. Both would be excessive.

Ok. Here is my first video.

So.... I don't understand gimbals etc. tell me about them.... Like I'm an idiot.

I have a hero 2.

Cool video, but I wouldn't fly it close to my Lambo.. these things (at least with no GPS) have a tendency to do their own thing...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm a bad LPer ATM.

Well, the first "real good" gimbal for multicopters were made by DJI. In the last year (or so) a board called Alexmos (It's a small board/"PC" that controls the motors) was released, which gives you just as good performance for a fraction of the price, but unless you want to spend hours building, tuning, and generally figuring stuff out, you might as well go for a DJI gimbal. The BIG problem with these is that ONE gimbal supports ONE camera/lens. If you get a new camera - you need to buy another expensive gimbal. Want another lens for your camera? Out of luck with DJI, because they are not adjustable. Basically all the gimbals that use the alexmos controller are adjustable. Gimbals needs to be adjustable (unless they are made with one specific camera/lens combo in mind), as they need to be "perfectly" balanced. Once the gimbal is balanced with the camera/lens, it will work as desired.

As of now, then norm is the 2 axis and 3 axis gimbals. 2 axis is bank/pitch (leaning left-right and forward and backwards). 3 axis are these 2 + yaw. To get GOOD video, you really need a 3 axis gimbal, since with the 2 axis, the yaw will really show up in the video.

The easiest combo for your Phantom as of now is the zenmuse h3-2d with a GP3. I "think" they will be releasing the h3-3d (which will be 3 axis), which will probably only support the GP3+.

I bought an alexmos gimbal (2 axis) for the GP1/2/3 (you just need to order the correct front plate), but with this setup, you need to build a mount for it (so you can mount it to your Phantom), assemble the gimbal, load the firmware, balance and tune it.

For my HUGE Octo I bought the InfinityL (pre assembled with everything). This can support camera/lens setups up to 2kg, so all I need to do with this is to mount it, balance it and tune it. The good thing about this gimbal is that it can take anything from a GoPro to a full frame DSLR with a bigger lens. The DJI option in this segment would be the Zenmus Z15-5D, which is a 3 axis for a Canon 5D, but with only one lens in mind and it almost TWICE the price as the InfinityL which I bought.