Diablo Hand (Parking) Brake Failing

camaro97

The hand (parking) brake has started failing in my 6.0. When I pull up the lever, it catches and then disengages within seconds to hours all on its own. Sometimes it disengages all the way down, but other times it re-engages a few notches down. I have checked the parking brake adjustment and oiled some of the areas in the hand brake lever. I suspect there is a spring in the hand brake lever that is failing, but don't have a lot of experience diagnosing hand brakes.

Thoughts on what could be causing the failure?

Here is a short video of it disengaging immediately after pulling up the lever:

That's kinda scary! I don't have any guesses but I would pro ably take it apart and tinker. Maybe JeffLambo will see this. Have you checked the parts diagrams?

That's kinda scary! I don't have any guesses but I would pro ably take it apart and tinker. Maybe JeffLambo will see this. Have you checked the parts diagrams?

Definitely worrisome if I want to park anywhere other than my garage!

I did check the parts diagrams ... the lever is one complete unit with a cost ... $2500. It looks like the entire hand brake lever is riveted together ... but I am not sure if the issue is with the lever yet, only my suspicions.

• 1 month later...
Definitely worrisome if I want to park anywhere other than my garage!

I did check the parts diagrams ... the lever is one complete unit with a cost ... $2500. It looks like the entire hand brake lever is riveted together ... but I am not sure if the issue is with the lever yet, only my suspicions.

What did you end doing about it?

So far ... nothing. I have found that if I pull up the hand brake 1 click at a time, it holds just fine. If I quickly pull it up like in the video, then it pops back out. My thought is that the lever spring inside the mechanism is wearing out or the lever has rounded over so much it doesn't sit in the groves off the gear very well.

I have not tried finding an OEM replacement ... and based on your thread, it doesn't look like one can easily be purchased.

I did do some searching for non-OEM replacements but have come up empty. It does seem a lot of Ferraris use a very similar hand brake, so there has to be a manufacturer of this style/appearance handbrake.

I have not looked for a place that can rebuild the handbrake, but would be interested in such a place if I cannot easily replace the handbrake with a new one.

Here is a picture of my gears inside the handbrake:

post-6810-1391372133_thumb.jpg

I have had similar issues in the past on various vehicles--the solution i have used is to take it apart enough to recut the angles on the handle where it contacts the gear teeth--overtime the pulling of the lever rounds the original sharp mating surfaces off and allows the problem you are experiencing to occur---use one of the other units you have to get a better idea on what the engagement surfaces should look like---btw do no grind this area --it is a hand file job only--you do not want to heat it up and soften the metal

hope this makes sense

I have had similar issues in the past on various vehicles--the solution i have used is to take it apart enough to recut the angles on the handle where it contacts the gear teeth--overtime the pulling of the lever rounds the original sharp mating surfaces off and allows the problem you are experiencing to occur---use one of the other units you have to get a better idea on what the engagement surfaces should look like---btw do no grind this area --it is a hand file job only--you do not want to heat it up and soften the metal

hope this makes sense

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into that.

It is the tooth that engages the other the tip has broke off. Have seen it many times. This piece must be hardened or it will happen again. This part can still be bought at a dealer but its not cheap. That part has been updated so the new part my not ever have the same issue.

It is the tooth that engages the other the tip has broke off. Have seen it many times. This piece must be hardened or it will happen again. This part can still be bought at a dealer but its not cheap. That part has been updated so the new part my not ever have the same issue.

Thanks Jeff. I guess that is why the price for the hand brake lever soared a few years back.

I assume that the tooth is a single piece of metal that's removable from the handle. If so, you could take it out and have a new one machined from a harder metal (or shot peened) for a lot less than a factory part.

I assume that the tooth is a single piece of metal that's removable from the handle. If so, you could take it out and have a new one machined from a harder metal (or shot peened) for a lot less than a factory part.

I was thinking the same thing, but Limey mentioned the following HERE:

"I looked at fixing it, but it's one of those things that ain't so easy, can't remember exactly the deal but there's a reason it's not fixable."

Not sure if the the parts numbers are all the same for each country, but Eurospares in the UK are listing a USED handbrake for 6.0 models, part number 410711305, price £336GBP maybe worth snapping that up? [no pun intended lol]

• 1 year later...
I was thinking the same thing, but Limey mentioned the following HERE:

"I looked at fixing it, but it's one of those things that ain't so easy, can't remember exactly the deal but there's a reason it's not fixable."

Updating ... Steve at Driven Exotics can rebuild emergency brakes, and did mine. He uses new plated steel for the teeth and file fits the pin for the teeth. For my brake, he used plated bolts with nylocks to reassembly ... using bolts instead of rivets makes it easier to service in the future if needed! Cost is a lot less than new OEM emergency brake! Here are pics of mine rebuilt and the worn out teeth.

post-6810-1434762911.jpg

post-6810-1434762916_thumb.jpg

FYI, some of you that have issues with handbrake you can do a quick repair if problem is not as sever worn issue. You can undo the hand brake without removing the cables so that it is easier to manipulate, then using a Dremel tool make the notch's that have been rounded back into the sharp angle not quite 90 degrees.

DO NOT OVER GRIND just do slight simple passes and get those edges sharp again voila your hand brake will work 100%. It takes a bit of patients but can be completed within 1 to 2 hours.

Having the same issue with my handbrake here in Oz. Will see if I can get the cover off and have a look at it and see if it's fixable with the Dremel. If not, will Steve at Driven Exotics be kind enough to send over the gear plate for a fee so I can replace mine. Sending the whole handbrake to the US and back would be overkill and expensive. I was planning to drill out the rivets and replace with bolts as well.

:-D