Moving overseas in two days

Smash Boy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck! What are you thinking of doing for the vacation this time?

A coworker just got back from a year in Kuwait(officially, actually in Iraq the whole time). I havent talked to him about it yet.

A coworker just got back from a year in Kuwait(officially, actually in Iraq the whole time). I havent talked to him about it yet.

Any opportunity for you to go? I know you were really keen on expat work.

Any opportunity for you to go? I know you were really keen on expat work.

The coworker that went with his other job as a member of the Army National Guard. So to answer your question. No, no chance for me to go.

Doing the ex-pat thing again, this time I'm going to Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.....leaving on Friday morning.

Same type of gig as last time, fire protection engineering design/inspection work for bases in the Middle East....Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, UAE, probably some Iraq. No Afghanistan. Will travel all military transport to/from these places.

I'll fly commercial into Dubai, then connect to Kuwait City with a shuttle direct to base....and then the fun begins.

I'm excited and a little nervous at the same time, just what you'd expect, haha.

Curious what LPers think of those countries and some of our service members who have been stationed out there think?

Like last time, will be back in a year with a little vacation at the halfway point.

This is going to be more hardcore but I like it. :)

Hey Felippe, first off, congrats on another opportunity. Second, Kuwait isn't what it used to be, and by that, I mean it's a lot safer now. Back during the Gulf War Kuwait was not as safe as it is today. My next door neighbor at my last place got back from Kuwait a year ago and he was there for an entire year. According to what he said, you'll have all the access to phones and internet just like any nomal area. Basically, you'll have all the necessities you could want, like Diego Garcia, and then some. From everything my reservists and friends have been telling me, it's not so bad over there right now. I'm pretty sure (let me check) you can leave base and some people have even likened it to being in Bahrain. That said, it is a Muslim country and there are many traditions and rules that you would expect over there as there are in many other middle eastern countries. You're a pretty positive person, so I know you'll see the better side of things while stationed there. If I'm not mistaken, I did have a friend there just recently and they were always posting fun photos on Facebook from the country, so it can't be too bad. I'll ask around to some of my buddy's that are there now and see how things are going. I wish you the best! :icon_thumleft:

Doing the ex-pat thing again, this time I'm going to Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.....leaving on Friday morning.

Same type of gig as last time, fire protection engineering design/inspection work for bases in the Middle East....Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, UAE, probably some Iraq. No Afghanistan. Will travel all military transport to/from these places.

I'll fly commercial into Dubai, then connect to Kuwait City with a shuttle direct to base....and then the fun begins.

I'm excited and a little nervous at the same time, just what you'd expect, haha.

Curious what LPers think of those countries and some of our service members who have been stationed out there think?

Like last time, will be back in a year with a little vacation at the halfway point.

This is going to be more hardcore but I like it. :)

Good luck! My husband's cousin & her husband lived in Qatar but it was many years ago. They loved it - but of course women aren't allowed to drive and it was an issue. Overall she said people were very reserved but nice once you got past the initial "frost". Obviously very hot in summer. She taught English as a second (or third/fourth...) language. He was a helicopter pilot for a major oil company and flew shuttle runs to oil rigs in the Persian Gulf. I think they lived in Doha but am not positive.

Best of luck! Enjoy the adventure and looking forward to updates!

You better come and see me! Let's do F1 together in November!!!!

:icon_super:

Was thinking of northern Europe, past the Arctic circle probably for the novelty factor and the timing (Jan/Feb probably).

My ex-coworker moved back to France a few months ago so it would be cool to see Paris with a local.

The coworker that went with his other job as a member of the Army National Guard. So to answer your question. No, no chance for me to go.

There's IT stuff abroad for civilians.....typically preference for ex-military, but not always. I can look for you.

Hey Felippe, first off, congrats on another opportunity. Second, Kuwait isn't what it used to be, and by that, I mean it's a lot safer now. Back during the Gulf War Kuwait was not as safe as it is today. My next door neighbor at my last place got back from Kuwait a year ago and he was there for an entire year. According to what he said, you'll have all the access to phones and internet just like any nomal area. Basically, you'll have all the necessities you could want, like Diego Garcia, and then some. From everything my reservists and friends have been telling me, it's not so bad over there right now. I'm pretty sure (let me check) you can leave base and some people have even likened it to being in Bahrain. That said, it is a Muslim country and there are many traditions and rules that you would expect over there as there are in many other middle eastern countries. You're a pretty positive person, so I know you'll see the better side of things while stationed there. If I'm not mistaken, I did have a friend there just recently and they were always posting fun photos on Facebook from the country, so it can't be too bad. I'll ask around to some of my buddy's that are there now and see how things are going. I wish you the best! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the info Doc, that's awesome....appreciate the insider info!

That whole Sharia law stuff is crazy. One of my Diego friends lived in Kuwait prior to coming out to DG and he was telling me stories about pushing the limits with cohabitation, etc....LOL.

Also, just entering that culture will be interesting but something that puts you a little on guard. My dad was telling me about Saudi Arabia in 1980, and how even without the terrorist danger it still is a bit awkward.

Swap out Oman for Bahrain (I was mistaken) and throw in Jordan. :icon_mrgreen:

Good luck! My husband's cousin & her husband lived in Qatar but it was many years ago. They loved it - but of course women aren't allowed to drive and it was an issue. Overall she said people were very reserved but nice once you got past the initial "frost". Obviously very hot in summer. She taught English as a second (or third/fourth...) language. He was a helicopter pilot for a major oil company and flew shuttle runs to oil rigs in the Persian Gulf. I think they lived in Doha but am not positive.

Best of luck! Enjoy the adventure and looking forward to updates!

Cake that sounded like a fun adventure for them! Glad the wife was able to get by despite the restrictions.....it will be interesting to see that sorta thing up front and personal for a change.

Will keep you posted!

Have fun in Kuwait! Good luck brother.

Thanks brother, will do!

I wish you nothing by the best on your new venture, stay safe my friend :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Fortis, as always!

Very cool, good luck!

Seeing all those bottles of rum and other liquor made me think about Hunter S Thompsons book ''the Rum Diary''. Work hard and drink at night.