Let's talk about our car battery

SFchallenge

Alright boys as the title. I drive my car about once a month especially when I'm travelling very often so the battery always goes dead even after I switch off the knob in the cabin (power continues to be consumed by the clock & alarm). Every time I'd like to drive it, it would require an overnight charge or have it jumped & not convenient to leave my trigger charger on all the time.

So, I've been told to look at Lithium batteries or deep charge batteries. Marine applications etc.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12v-100AH-LITHI...=item4607d0c828

Lithium batteries are far lighter than our lead & lasts longer but there's a charging problem which makes them unsuitable unless the technology has moved on. Porsche sells lithium for the RS @ US$1500 a pop in my area.

Can someone please tell me the specs needed for our Diablo/Murcielago? The size of the battery tray, Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating and Cranking Amps rating.

Please feel free to discuss, thanks!

Interstate MT34, and a maintainer. Going on 7 years. Who needs anything else?

That's what I have (as well as the Deltran tender), but IIRC, you have some deeper knowledge as to why you stick with that battery's specs vs. those that make other batteries suboptimal. Thoughts?

I habr the interstate too now. But have a good Optima red top in the garage as well and i use that trickle charger too. But even without the trickle charger my battery has never been dead.

I don't really tempt the battery to weaken or die (I'd heard from the seller that it was known to drain in his custody). I just keep it fully charged with the thought of keeping the alternator happy.

Braille has a Li Ion battery for our cars, but the two are a light weight at $1300 which still has lots of jam, or the full power unit at $2400...I just dont know if it wort it. They say it's a cleaner power source and all the electronics function much better...but I dunno. If my e-gear and ignition run smoother I'll fork out the $1200 but otherwise I can get an OEM Deka for $115...........

I can get an OEM Deka for $115...........

FWIW, just about every gov't fleet vehicle I know of all run Deka batteries. And after having two Optima Yellows go south in my Duramax I switched to Dekas and have never had a problem since.

I would go with the Deka and ever look back. If you're really concerned they might have a higher CCA version available, but doubt it's needed.

Also, why not hard wire in the battery tender? Just pop the front bonnet and plug it in, it really will save you a lot of headache down the road.

I have the Ctek hardwired in...just plug it in when I wont drive the car for a week or more and never had an issue. I just think the oomph of this battery has run out so want a fresh one to see if my e-gear gremlins go away. In the Diablo this is a non issue

all the lithium ion battery fires (on 787 aircraft and tesla for example) make me wonder how safe they are. given the location of the battery, i would not want it to be something that catches fire. it's surrounded by highly flammable and hot parts.

isn't there a switch to turn off the battery like the murcielago? that works well in case a power source isn't available.

We don't get some of the brands of batteries you guys mentioned, so I put a new Varta in my car last year.

The old one in my car was only 600cca, so I found 780cca battery with 5 year warranty.

DSC_0215_zps92a00cdb.jpg

I just ended up picking up the Deka group 34...850 CCA for $115............. can't seem to beat it for value. I'm thinking these big V12's need all the juice they can get. Varta makes nice batteries. I couldn't find them here though. I also picked up another CTek 56-864 Multi US 4.3 it now has the recond feature :)

850cca! I wish I could have found that here, the Varta was the largest I could get that fitted the battery tray.

I just ended up picking up the Deka group 34...850 CCA for $115............. can't seem to beat it for value. I'm thinking these big V12's need all the juice they can get. Varta makes nice batteries. I couldn't find them here though. I also picked up another CTek 56-864 Multi US 4.3 it now has the recond feature :)

besides CCA, also compare the reserve power. These two numbers combined with warranty terms and availability are best ways to pick batteries that are in the same group.

Deka is 115 reserve capacity. I know there is higher.......... These batteries are black magic. Some cost more with AGM tech and all that, but have less CCA and 0 degree CA's....... Like the interstate battery for the Murci is AGM costs more but has less power....maybe they last longer..or can keep their power longer ???

Thanks guys. The problem is my Diablo is parked in an underground carpark which is shared with neighbours so it's not nice to have my Ctek plugged to the wall all the time.

Was wondering if getting one of those Lithium/deep cycle batteries will solve my issue. Some of my cars with little electronics have no problem starting after a month while the worst has to be modern Bentley, my GTC goes crazy once the main battery is drained within 2 weeks & you'd need to go back to the agent for a full system reset & after a few times some items start to fail. Sold the car!

So, does anyone have the specs of our car? I don't have the user manual & it's a late SV so guess any post 95 cars should be the same.