Murci Roadster Stereo

szabo_martin

Got the Roadster booked in for a stereo install. I want to keep stock speaker sizes and locations so got a pair of Focal 165KR2's to be powered by a Mosconi 100.4amp. I also have a Rainbow Vanadium 10" sub and a Mosconi 100.2 amp to power that. Has anyone done a stereo install in thier roadster? Can you hear it when driving even with the better setup? Or is it mostly a music at the lights background noise when moving deal?

Also...where would you mount the amps? The front is already tight as hell when you put the top in, plus I think it looks a bit boy racer when you pop the trunk and theres all these amps in there. Best would be a completely invisiable setup.

Sounds legit! Mine has a full Focal setup (not sure on the specs, was in the car when I bought it) with a sub behind the passenger seat and two JL amps in the trunk, sounds phenomenal. The trunk is leather with contrast Q-cintura stitching that matches my interior perfectly, really is a super clean setup and the amps are flush with the floor. I'll get a picture for ya shortly!

Does the stock Murci come with an amp? I have focal speakers I think, but the headunit is terrible, as is the six disk changer..

Said it many times before --- all modern Lamborghini's OEM stereo suck big time.

System seems legit but wouldn't that add a lot of weight to the car? Physics dictates that there is no way a stereo will sound nice in any Lambo due to its cabin limitations and the way sound wave travels. Likely more so on a Murci roadster since it has no solid roof. But as long as you like the sound, that's what matters most. You likely will hear a difference in terms of better definition of the highs and a more solid bass; but don't expect night and day difference especially when you are driving since there are plenty of ambient noises.

Any good-sounding speaker would come with a heavy magnet. Please be careful on the added weight to the doors as that would cause additional stress on the door struts.

Out of curiosity, why are Focal's such a popular brand for Lambo stereo installs? Is it because their sizes are close to or the same as the OEM's?

The Murci does not come with an amplifier stock. Allan if you have focal speakers in the doors then there has to be an amplifier hidden somewhere I would say.

szabo_martin there is a decent amount of room to put the amps on the floor under the storage bin in the trunk.

Focal seems to be the go to brand bc they are expensive. Don't get me wrong its a great product but most shops push it onto higher end cars bc of the pricing. I am a fan of their products in certain applications. I like to custom tailor audio systems to my customers taste in music. I have used speakers that cost 1/4 of the price and sound better.

Infamous is right, sound wise it comes down to the specific speaker and cabin etc.. I just bought Focal because without trial and error you know they will sound decent, but as VCR mentioned they are heavy as fuk. The OEM paper cone lambo speakers weigh next to nothing (sound like complete shit too). Also as VCR mentioned, the cabin, speaker locaction etc. is not great for sound, but the OEM system is SO bad that even when I had my stock exhaust, at lights, you still couldn't hear anything, and when you turn it up even a little it would clip. Im glad Luxeous said it sounds pretty good... would suck to go through it all only to end up with a louder system you cant hear for shit

Out of curiosity, why are Focal's such a popular brand for Lambo stereo installs? Is it because their sizes are close to or the same as the OEM's?

Focal seems to be the go to brand bc they are expensive. Don't get me wrong its a great product but most shops push it onto higher end cars bc of the pricing. I am a fan of their products in certain applications. I like to custom tailor audio systems to my customers taste in music. I have used speakers that cost 1/4 of the price and sound better.

:iamwithstupid:

Focal makes/made a 2 way 6.5" called the V30, and there was a model just below it in price. Just based on soundboard listening, I liked those two more than everything priced above that. The upper end speakers were too thin sounding, and $700, $900+ is a lot to drop on something that isn't elite. Figure those good ones retailed in the $350-500 range....not bad.

I was biased towards Morel for some time since I had them (Elates). Looking back, I would say they are ok, better overall than Focal but depends on model. Don't like Supremo....Elates alright but overpriced. Integra, Hybrid Ovation getting better. Tempo/Maximo might be ok for the price.

Dynaudio I find to be similar to Morel but a bit brighter. Haven't heard their newer stuff but Esotar line is pretty expensive and not sure if worth it. Some of their woofers are 7" size which won't fit Lambo door without modification.

Hybrid Audio I like more than most, $ for $. Imagine/Clarus/Legatia....good lines, good value. Imagine & Clarus make standard 6.5" woofer, Legatia is 7".

Hertz, not much experience with it, can't comment for sure.

DLS used to be popular at one time. I heard an Iridium set that sounded nice.

Alpine used to have a set called the F#1 which were Scan Speak Revelators redone for car audio....mostly treated cones and higher Q damping for car door use. Also came with a really versatile crossover. Those are probably pretty nice but the price might be high.

Phass is the one company that I think has the most potential in current car audio. I hate to speculate and say it for sure since I haven't heard them, but all signs kinda point to it (paper cone, low excursion, alnico magnet). I heard one pair on a soundboard 10 years ago and it sounded very smooth. They are pretty pricey, and come with crossovers almost the size of iPads, lol.

The strongest indicator probably isn't any specs but the fact that almost nobody has them, talks about them, etc. Which in audio usually means something is pretty nice (and when something is overhyped, it probably sucks :lol2: )

All of these comparisons are straight up using passive crossovers which is how most are installed in all but the most hardcore installs that use active crossovers and bi/tri-amping. Despite what you read online, it's tough to make an active setup sound better. The louder part is easy, but getting that coherence is difficult. My friend's got all the ego in the world (and track record) when it comes to setting up rooms, tuning systems and the whole 9 and he feels even he cannot do it without a lot of work.

Having heard a lot of active in the real world, most are disappointing. Not impossible to be done, just know what you're getting yourself into.

I agree with Infamous....it's not about the price whatsoever, at least nowadays. The boosted bass/treble EQ is what's popular, even to a good # of SQ enthusiasts and audiophiles. That strong midrange with relaxed highs is considered "dull and boring" by those whose ears have a lot of growing up to do. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

So naturally, most flagships aren't the best product, IMO.

And the dirty secret is the amps matter more anyways.

That was probably more than what was asked, but figure the LP family might care to know about gear in cars.

BTW, SEAS makes/made a car line called LOTUS which I think would be suitable for Rhyno's new whip. :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid:

Focal makes/made a 2 way 6.5" called the V30, and there was a model just below it in price. Just based on soundboard listening, I liked those two more than everything priced above that. The upper end speakers were too thin sounding, and $700, $900+ is a lot to drop on something that isn't elite. Figure those good ones retailed in the $350-500 range....not bad.

I was biased towards Morel for some time since I had them (Elates). Looking back, I would say they are ok, better overall than Focal but depends on model. Don't like Supremo....Elates alright but overpriced. Integra, Hybrid Ovation getting better. Tempo/Maximo might be ok for the price.

Dynaudio I find to be similar to Morel but a bit brighter. Haven't heard their newer stuff but Esotar line is pretty expensive and not sure if worth it. Some of their woofers are 7" size which won't fit Lambo door without modification.

Hybrid Audio I like more than most, $ for $. Imagine/Clarus/Legatia....good lines, good value. Imagine & Clarus make standard 6.5" woofer, Legatia is 7".

Hertz, not much experience with it, can't comment for sure.

DLS used to be popular at one time. I heard an Iridium set that sounded nice.

Alpine used to have a set called the F#1 which were Scan Speak Revelators redone for car audio....mostly treated cones and higher Q damping for car door use. Also came with a really versatile crossover. Those are probably pretty nice but the price might be high.

Phass is the one company that I think has the most potential in current car audio. I hate to speculate and say it for sure since I haven't heard them, but all signs kinda point to it (paper cone, low excursion, alnico magnet). I heard one pair on a soundboard 10 years ago and it sounded very smooth. They are pretty pricey, and come with crossovers almost the size of iPads, lol.

The strongest indicator probably isn't any specs but the fact that almost nobody has them, talks about them, etc. Which in audio usually means something is pretty nice (and when something is overhyped, it probably sucks :lol2: )

All of these comparisons are straight up using passive crossovers which is how most are installed in all but the most hardcore installs that use active crossovers and bi/tri-amping. Despite what you read online, it's tough to make an active setup sound better. The louder part is easy, but getting that coherence is difficult. My friend's got all the ego in the world (and track record) when it comes to setting up rooms, tuning systems and the whole 9 and he feels even he cannot do it without a lot of work.

Having heard a lot of active in the real world, most are disappointing. Not impossible to be done, just know what you're getting yourself into.

I agree with Infamous....it's not about the price whatsoever, at least nowadays. The boosted bass/treble EQ is what's popular, even to a good # of SQ enthusiasts and audiophiles. That strong midrange with relaxed highs is considered "dull and boring" by those whose ears have a lot of growing up to do. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

So naturally, most flagships aren't the best product, IMO.

And the dirty secret is the amps matter more anyways.

That was probably more than what was asked, but figure the LP family might care to know about gear in cars.

BTW, SEAS makes/made a car line called LOTUS which I think would be suitable for Rhyno's new whip. :icon_mrgreen:

Equipment is 35% of the equation. 65% of it comes down to the way everything is installed.

Thanks Infamous and Fellippe for the insightful info. on car stereo. I know home audio video but no so much on car stereo. And my info. on the latter is likely not up to date.

So the "recommendation" on Focal is business-based then. Makes sense I guess. I heard them on several occasions, not bad but not great either. Seems slightly "dark" and "thin". The only Focal that I am familiar with is the home use Utopia series; those are gigantic, especially the Grand Utopia. They are the size of coffins and, in a way, resemble them too. And they too sound a tad "dark". I guess it's Focal's tonal signature.

One after-market speaker that I used and liked very much --- but no long made, unfortunately --- was the Infinity. These were very different from the ones than you see under the same brand today. Those were elliptical cones with an EMIT ribbon tweeter in the centre. Downside was they needed a ton of power to sound "right" and they were very fragile --- not ideal as car speakers which is likely one reason why they are no longer made.

The stereo I had in my LP640 has been the stereo I've ever owned and will use the same parts in future builds.

I had a Clarion Double DIN HU running to Audison Bit One processor to a 4 Channel Hertz amp hidden in the front running Dynaudio 7" split setup and Audison Thesis 10".

I think adding a processor will be helpful for the roadster as it can run a few setups. Roof down and roof down. I had windows up and windows down as different acoustics.

Good Luck

I agree with Infamous... A speaker is a speaker, it can only do what it's setup to do. If the enclosure is incorrect, the crossovers not set properly, or the amp is no good then you can't ask it to compensate. The way I see it it's like a Zegna suit thats not properly tailored compared to a tip top suit thats custom fit by a skilled tailor.... to say the Zegna suit is over hyped and over priced isn't a fair statement.

Supa-G ... you fit the 10" sub in behind the seat? My installer is worrying the subs to big.... the Audsion processor is a bad ass unit

Equipment is 35% of the equation. 65% of it comes down to the way everything is installed.

Agree.

When you consider that good OEM car stereo is PEANUTS in parts in most cases, that says it all.

So the biggest thing to consider is who will install/tune it......then worry about the gear.

And if you have the right person to do the work (or help you do it), and have the funds, then it helps to pick the right gear to make life easier.

Thanks Infamous and Fellippe for the insightful info. on car stereo. I know home audio video but no so much on car stereo. And my info. on the latter is likely not up to date.

So the "recommendation" on Focal is business-based then. Makes sense I guess. I heard them on several occasions, not bad but not great either. Seems slightly "dark" and "thin". The only Focal that I am familiar with is the home use Utopia series; those are gigantic, especially the Grand Utopia. They are the size of coffins and, in a way, resemble them too. And they too sound a tad "dark". I guess it's Focal's tonal signature.

One after-market speaker that I used and liked very much --- but no long made, unfortunately --- was the Infinity. These were very different from the ones than you see under the same brand today. Those were elliptical cones with an EMIT ribbon tweeter in the centre. Downside was they needed a ton of power to sound "right" and they were very fragile --- not ideal as car speakers which is likely one reason why they are no longer made.

Infinity Kappa?

It's funny for a speaker brand as popular as Infinity with a price point that's pretty low I can't say I recall ever hearing them.

Same for Polk, although I hear that SR6500 was decent.

BTW, could you clarify "dark"? I've seen the term from time to time but haven't used it much. It sounds like similar EQ curve to "warm" without the pleasant feelings associated with it. :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with Infamous... A speaker is a speaker, it can only do what it's setup to do. If the enclosure is incorrect, the crossovers not set properly, or the amp is no good then you can't ask it to compensate. The way I see it it's like a Zegna suit thats not properly tailored compared to a tip top suit thats custom fit by a skilled tailor.... to say the Zegna suit is over hyped and over priced isn't a fair statement.

Supa-G ... you fit the 10" sub in behind the seat? My installer is worrying the subs to big.... the Audsion processor is a bad ass unit

Why not go multiple 8s?

Thought about an 8 behind each seat, but want as minimal modification as possible. Plus I think the 10 can hit some of the lower frequencies. I have a pioneer 99prs head unit so want to run active. Run the focals off the 100.4 so a channel per tweeter and mid. Then bridge the 100.2 to the Rainbow vanadium, so I can use the full eq capabilities of the HU.

Infinity Kappa?

It's funny for a speaker brand as popular as Infinity with a price point that's pretty low I can't say I recall ever hearing them.

BTW, could you clarify "dark"? I've seen the term from time to time but haven't used it much. It sounds like similar EQ curve to "warm" without the pleasant feelings associated with it. :icon_mrgreen:

I don't think so but I also don't know what model they were. A quick search on Google images yielded nothing and they don't look like the Kappa's at all. This was back in the days when Arnie Nudell was part of the company and designed the IRS V so it has been quite a while.

Dark: the highs and the "air/transparency" are definitely there as oppose to "dull" when there are no highs and no transparency. But it also conveys a closed-in and constrained soundstage. I.e. although sound quality is good and accurate, but everything just seems restrained and too conservative; perhaps the lack of dynamics at both extreme ends of the audio spectrum. Not wild and open enough so to speak.

As a hardcore tube person, you ought to know what "warm" sound is. :)

Thought about an 8 behind each seat, but want as minimal modification as possible. Plus I think the 10 can hit some of the lower frequencies. I have a pioneer 99prs head unit so want to run active. Run the focals off the 100.4 so a channel per tweeter and mid. Then bridge the 100.2 to the Rainbow vanadium, so I can use the full eq capabilities of the HU.

An issue with a car as small as a Lambo is it's hard to get the very low frequencies due to how small the cabin is.

Even installing subs in the quarter panels of a coupe will not play as deep as those installed in the trunk.

I fit a 12" behind the seat in a roadster so the 10 is of no issue.

In my LP640 I was running an Audison AV5.1k amplifier active to a set of Hertz Mille components. Sounded amazing. There is another trick I use in cars like the Murci to raise the sound stage also as most of the speakers are blocked by yourself or your passenger. But hey some things we have to keep a secret..

Thats right! Its the tricks of the trade :) Murci factory speaker placement is poor at best. I know the reasoning of...its a sports car you should listen to the engine, but when I go for a 7 hour drive, or am stuck in traffic, I like having some tunes.

Dark: the highs and the "air/transparency" are definitely there as oppose to "dull" when there are no highs and no transparency. But it also conveys a closed-in and constrained soundstage. I.e. although sound quality is good and accurate, but everything just seems restrained and too conservative; perhaps the lack of dynamics at both extreme ends of the audio spectrum. Not wild and open enough so to speak.

As a hardcore tube person, you ought to know what "warm" sound is. :)

Thanks for the description! It sounds like something that while not ideal can be worked with and is better than the more treble biased alternatives.

And yes, I like to say that some Westerns can supplement living room heating in the winter. :icon_mrgreen:

I fit a 12" behind the seat in a roadster so the 10 is of no issue.

In my LP640 I was running an Audison AV5.1k amplifier active to a set of Hertz Mille components. Sounded amazing. There is another trick I use in cars like the Murci to raise the sound stage also as most of the speakers are blocked by yourself or your passenger. But hey some things we have to keep a secret..

I don't want you to reveal your secret but curious if you are maintaing stock speaker locations?

Thats right! Its the tricks of the trade :) Murci factory speaker placement is poor at best. I know the reasoning of...its a sports car you should listen to the engine, but when I go for a 7 hour drive, or am stuck in traffic, I like having some tunes.

I'm one of the lucky few in car audio that doesn't worry all that much about imaging and staging in cars. I think VCR is probably the only who probably cares less (but more because he doesn't care about car audio much to begin with :lol2: ).

What most people want/need at a minimum is the vocal in the center of the car.

I've used a mono center channel with enjoyable results for quite some time. It's not perfect, but dials in the vocal very easily and that is worth the trade off (to me) of a narrower stage or pulling in instruments from L/R to the middle. I can even live without a center or time alignment DSP (and I wouldn't put a center in a Lambo probably either).

Another thing that plays a role is the recording. A recording that has nothing fancy going on in stage characteristics is not going to make any system shine. If you listen to mostly pop/modern rock/dance/rap, this stuff is even less important.

The one good thing about the Murci speaker placement which is not there in many cars is the close distance between woofer and tweeter, which is always good for coherence (i.e. making the two speakers sound more like one speaker). And given the seating position of this car relative to most regular cars, it probably isn't so bad with stage height, stock. With a nice amp and some speakers, I'm sure it will sound just fine, esp. given a car like this.

Do you guys put sound deadner in your doors? I wonder about the effect the weight will have on the gas struts.

Thanks for the description! It sounds like something that while not ideal can be worked with and is better than the more treble biased alternatives.

It does "work" as some of the so-called best solid state amps have that exact tonal signature: Mark Levinson, Spectral and FM Acoustics to name a few. Not exactly my cup of tea though and I doubt it is yours either.

And yes, I like to say that some Westerns can supplement living room heating in the winter. :icon_mrgreen:

Yes, and here is a perfect example of another one. Although the electricity bill would most likely offset the savings form the heating bill. :icon_mrgreen: Take note that this is only ONE channel. You need 2 of these, i.e. four pieces, to work for stereo sound.

I'm one of the lucky few in car audio that doesn't worry all that much about imaging and staging in cars. I think VCR is probably the only who probably cares less (but more because he doesn't care about car audio much to begin with :lol2: ).

:lol2: Guilty as charged.

I've used a mono center channel with enjoyable results for quite some time. It's not perfect, but dials in the vocal very easily and that is worth the trade off (to me) of a narrower stage or pulling in instruments from L/R to the middle. I can even live without a center or time alignment DSP (and I wouldn't put a center in a Lambo probably either).

I have seen/heard this and it does work to an extent. Unless one drives a McLaren F1, it's rather difficult to get proper sound stage and imaging from a car setup; even with all the DSP and time aligned speakers' installation (which explain why I care less about them as they are next to impossible to achieve).

4trkol0.jpg