Whats this guy worth

Saleenfan

These don't come up often enough to get a decent grasp on what the car is worth.

I personally love them but would be in the dark on how much to pay. (also how much would the restoration be)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Other-...=US_Cars_Trucks

post-8211-1401173857.jpg

post-8211-1401173865.jpg

post-8211-1401173886.jpg

The part that terrifies me:

He purchased the car in 1989, drove it once, and then laid it up with the intention of restoring it.

Restoration to not even concourse but a nice standard would be big $$ a lof of components you could get blasted and coated relatively cheap, but replacement parts would be a nightmare. Plus have you seen wiring on Lambos from that era? In a Countach a wire that runs from front to back changes color three times, depending on how much wire the tech had on hand in the factory

Restoration to not even concourse but a nice standard would be big $$ a lof of components you could get blasted and coated relatively cheap, but replacement parts would be a nightmare. Plus have you seen wiring on Lambos from that era? In a Countach a wire that runs from front to back changes color three times, depending on how much wire the tech had on hand in the factory

Having been tearing apart an '87 Jalpa, I can say that the wiring is certainly an "adventure" at the very least.

Don't get me wrong, it would be badass to restore a car like this. But I don't think I'd take 30k for it, especially since it doesn't run and should not be run having sat that long. At least not without a mechanic inspection and someone saying, "It checks out, it's fine."

Depending on whether or not liquids were drained you could be looking at doing a full rebuild, depending on if pitting is present. I'd at least pull the engine and replace all gaskets at that point and do a basic refresher at the very least. "While you're down there" also inspect for any damage from sitting if liquids ended up eating away at anything.

Not sure if anyone here has seen what grease and oil looks like when it has sat on a surface for years on end... but I've seen it eat away at bearings and cause pitting pretty severely. A good example of this has been the Porsche cars I've purchased that sat for a long time. For instance, where the wheel bearings sat and the car wasn't moved for years, ended up eating away at the surface. In the end, requiring replacement. Engines are no exception to this, as oil can do the same time given years of time. This is why a sitting car with no fluids drained is a potential nightmare.

All the intentions of restoring in the world will not change the damage done from a car that has not moved in 25 years.

If you rebuild it yourself and can source the parts? That's one thing. But to have a shop repaint that car, rebuild the engine (Maybe the transmission) and go through and reupholster that car to the point where it is factory original... easy 5 figures, very easily more than what the car would cost, indeed, big money (and I can imagine to have someone who is legendary at it do it you could probably buy an early diablo for that price, yeah?). A factory finish paint job these days is far from cheap if you want show quality. Factor in the cost of upholstery, also not cheap. Then toss in the engine rebuild (I cannot imagine not wanting to do even a mild rebuild), you're already in it for the same cost of buying that car. Imagine the risks of trying to start an engine like that and having it go south and something like warping a head from blowing a head gasket or something.

Someone feel free to tell me I'm crazy.. but I don't feel that would be an unreasonable estimate. Likely more.

Here's a few things I immediately see with the car:

- Paint is obviously cracked, flaking, peeling, and shows signs of rust. The engine bay connectors look like they've sat in an open environment and the car has probably been rained on since it is far from clean, bolts and nuts are rusty and some of the engine brackets are rusty. If the car sat for 25 years, anything in there that collected moisture would have sat there collecting for 25 years, who knows what hidden dangers lie.

- The underside has rust EVERYWHERE. Now, some of that is probably surface rust and a media blast and seal would fix it. But a car with 25k miles driven nicely and parked in a nice environment shouldn't look like that. However... What's worse, the frame brackets and bolts look pretty rusted up. I would imagine they'll need replaced, and depending on if there is damage underneath, repaired and refinished, and what if that is worse? What about some of the areas with holes in the frame where moisture could just sit? How do those look? I can't imagine buying that car and not wanting to media blast and seal everything I can see. I mean it'll need painted anyway..... so why not?

- The floorpan area appears to have the paint flaking off and rusting as well. Again, could be just more surface rust. But it looks like there could potentially be light pitting, which may not be a good sign. There's no way to know what the top looks like since no photos of it are shown in the auction. I would want to pull up a small piece of carpet to see for certain. Floorpan repairs are no fun.

- At 25 years old the hydraulics should not be trusted. so the brake lines should be replaced, all hoses and soft lines should be replaced to ensure the safety of the vehicle.

- I would be concerned with the wiring in an environment like that which sat for so long. Some may be supple, but especially in the engine bay I would expect harder and brittle wiring which could be cause for concern.

- Are the calipers damaged or pitted? If so, can they be honed/sleeved? Are replacements still available? brakes that sat that long would also concern me.

- To top this off, some parts may be nearly impossible to find if they need replaced. Some may be NLA, or if you can get them made at lamborghini they would cost a pretty penny. A car that needs serious TLC, complete or not, is still a complete car that needs TLC.

This picture concerns me. That looks like pitting to me. Media blasting might clear it and one could reseal, but it will depend on the depth and damage.

85908.jpg

The thermofan switch on the radiator appears to have an awful lot of corrosion on it. That could be the sign of a serious wiring issue or other problem, could be from a coolant leak.. but it is still corrosion. To boot, the brackets to the brake fluid reservoirs are rusted pretty badly. That is certainly the sign of a car that sat in a moist environment for a while. I would certainly at the very least as well on those rebuild all of the hydraulics. Corrosion is like a cancer with wiring, it spreads. If the thermofan switch looks like that, is there more in the rest of the car? Is there corrosion on other things in the engine bay? One would want to disconnect them and inspect just to be safe.

85897.jpg

Why is the lining of the trunk falling apart with the paint line unless there's some moisture issues and the car sat in an area it could potentially rust? What about under that weather stripping/seals?

85854.jpg

Sold. Don't know how much. But I can tell you it is worth it. It was pretty much all there.

Perfectly restored, these are 150-180+ as verified by recently sales.

I would take care of carbs and such and try to get it started before any kind of rebuild. Then I would drive it as is and have some fun.....

Sold. Don't know how much. But I can tell you it is worth it. It was pretty much all there.

I would take care of carbs and such and try to get it started before any kind of rebuild.

Even after sitting 25+ years? I dunno... that makes me kinda awry. I'd be scared of pitted bearings, water pump issues, rust inside the engine, etc.

Hopefully whoever sold it will restore it back to former glory :) I think they are awesome cars.

I would take care of carbs and such and try to get it started before any kind of rebuild. Then I would drive it as is and have some fun.....

After sitting for 25 years? I would make sure to have 10 fire extinguishers on hand at all times!

After sitting for 25 years? I would make sure to have 10 fire extinguishers on hand at all times!

Brittle wiring, fuel lines, brakes, etc etc.... time is not kind to the soft things that sit.

Guys, $74,500 on there website. Sale pending!

What a CRAZY price! But not sure crazy good or crazy out of there mind.

I'm starting to like the Muira 9 inch on the back.

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1519-L...e%2012-Cylinder

I knew jarama's where valuable but i didnt know 150-180ish.

a restoration on that scale would scare me, i would guess into the 6 figure range if you can find all the parts.

I knew jarama's where valuable but i didnt know 150-180ish.

a restoration on that scale would scare me, i would guess into the 6 figure range if you can find all the parts.

Interesting thread. Prices of anything exotic at this time are in la-la land. This is not the time to buy. If this goes on much further I am contemplating a high price sale myself in la-la-la-la land. That is why rust buckets sell at $75K. Obviously a lot of anxious buyers out there and it would be foolish not to take advantage of an over the top market. In my lifetime I have seen this movie played many times on various goods. The story always ends very abruptly when it does..

Or may be the buyer thinks of parting this out and make a profit from the parts? If the guys wants a restoration, by the time it is finished, the market may well cool off some and the buyer will have a nice finished car financially underwater.

Look at the Espada that just sold on ebay for $78, that was a major money pit, Thats got to be a $100k restore.

Ebay car did not sell for 78. High bidder told seller he "made a mistake" when bidding. He send 2nd chance offer to the other bidders.

Ebay car did not sell for 78. High bidder told seller he "made a mistake" when bidding. He send 2nd chance offer to the other bidders.

dont you love these guys who "make misktakes?"

let's see how a mistake could happen:

1. Was watching the car and he triped over his seat hitting the keyboard randomly with his face and hands hitting 7 - 8 - 0 - 0 - 0 and the "Bid now" key. Pretty unluky...

2. He wanted to bid 7,800 but known for his fat fingers or early Parkinson shakes, the bidder double hit the 0 key.

3. He wanted to bid 87,000 but that would have probably been a mistake as well.

4. He gave his credential to his kid to buy a iPhone and the kid changed his mind on what he really wanted.

5. He though all the rust was actually original copper paint

6. He though the price was 780,000 but when he realized it was only 78,000 he considered the car was beneath his consideration.

7. He thought the price were in Roubles or better yet old Italian Liras.

yeah, life can be very challenging sometimes for thoses bidders...

• 1 month later...

a nice jarama is imo a 100k $ car

a perfect show winner with all book, tools , manuals, few owners and low miles probably in the 150k$

this one looks a BIG money pit to me

i do not think you can just make it worcks without a full overhaul of all mecanics and electric parts

I do have to say my Jarama old seats are so damn comfortable. Especially in the back part.

BTW, what would an original pair of Miura 9's go for? That could be factored into owner justifying "some" of the over pricing. 5k? 10k? More?

I do have to say my Jarama old seats are so damn comfortable. Especially in the back part.

i sat in an espada years back, felt the same way.

should have purchased it. damn it!

would have a complete V12 garage