Race car

megachad

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost finished, just need a cage and some numbers. I got a tire sponsor as well :icon_thumleft:

I got some track time last monday, and I have a full weekend ahead of me. Trying to get used to this car from the AWD evo is a bigger challenge than I thought. Def need to lightly brake earlier, enter corners with more speed being there is no power to get it back out of the corners. Looking forward to getting that sorted this weekend. I was running times comparable to most of the field, but the fasted driver is doing quite a bit better.. I will be competing with him shortly!

post-19695-1408111656_thumb.jpg

post-19695-1408111668_thumb.jpg

post-19695-1408111680_thumb.jpg

post-19695-1408111692_thumb.jpg

post-19695-1408111756_thumb.jpg

Looks sweet!

Can you change out the a-arm bushings to delrin plastic or anything like that?

no, just to the stock nismo type.. that is the best you can do.

ahhhh is was you racing that E55!

Here's one with a bit more power:

Seriously though nice track car. No experience with specZ class but I did machine up some engine parts for the above car.

I have looked into those brakes.. I haven't heard bad, but nothing amazing. I guess they are a good price point.. I have another brake pad I am going to use after the Hawks wear out..

I can win free Hawks pads as well, so it's kind of a nice way of getting free pads.. I plan on winning if you couldn't tell. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft:

Hence my screen name I will be more than happy to help you with brake pads.

I have looked into those brakes.. I haven't heard bad, but nothing amazing. I guess they are a good price point.. I have another brake pad I am going to use after the Hawks wear out..

I can win free Hawks pads as well, so it's kind of a nice way of getting free pads.. I plan on winning if you couldn't tell. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft:

Hence my screen name I will be more than happy to help you with brake pads.

Who is the tire sponsor? What tires? What are the tire rules for the series?

Who is the tire sponsor? What tires? What are the tire rules for the series?

A local tire guy.

R1 bfg 275/35/18

I have 12 sessions in the car. Big difference from driving an AWD turbo car Evo X to a NA rear wheel drive lower power car. Took a little getting used to. Once I realized I can get the car bent by trail braking a little and get back on the throttle earlier my times went from 2:24 per lap to 2:16 per lap.. The leaders are running 2:12's on the outer loop. So I got close in a very short time. Can't wait to get back out. Still working on my race license so I can compete in the series.

• 1 month later...

Running some very competitive times now. About 1 second off the best guys in the group.. We had a rain day which I didn't get any video, but I ran 2 seconds per lap faster than the race winner that day. So I am proud I drove faster in the rain than any other Z driver that day.. It was really wet. About 1/4-1/2" rain on the track on whole track. It was a down poor.. It was a blast to drive in!

i need to move my go pro a little more forward to see the track better.. My external mic wasn't plugged in somehow.. Shit...

Skip to the last 30 seconds for a good slide :) 85mph toasted my front left tire. Trying to push myself to find more time on the track.. It's difficult finding the last 1 second.

Running some very competitive times now. About 1 second off the best guys in the group.. We had a rain day which I didn't get any video, but I ran 2 seconds per lap faster than the race winner that day. So I am proud I drove faster in the rain than any other Z driver that day.. It was really wet. About 1/4-1/2" rain on the track on whole track. It was a down poor.. It was a blast to drive in!

i need to move my go pro a little more forward to see the track better.. My external mic wasn't plugged in somehow.. Shit...

Skip to the last 30 seconds for a good slide :) 85mph toasted my front left tire. Trying to push myself to find more time on the track.. It's difficult finding the last 1 second.

Awesome recovery!

Awesome recovery!

Thanks man.. I couldn't believe I kept it on the track. These R1 tires have all the grip in the world,, until they don't... lol. I was carrying 1.3-1.4 lateral g's in most corners.. thats about the extent of our grip.

Nice work, Chad. I like the West track.

Nice work, Chad. I like the West track.

I do too.. THanks Brad!

I love all the configurations.. It's such a technical track. Some corners you can carry much more speed through, but it screws up the next corner. So there is such a fine balance to get it right.. Still working on it... lol..

Hope all is well!!

• 3 weeks later...

so this is a long ass video i made, but there is quite a bit going on in the 3 minute mark to about 10 minutes.

my fastest laps are at about the 33:00 minute mark.

i wasn't passed by another 350z all weekend.. I wasn't passed by much all weekend :icon_mrgreen: .. Had some great time on the track

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

I asked (in the other thread you started) about your instructing experience. Just wondering how it went and if you'd do it again.

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

I asked (in the other thread you started) about your instructing experience. Just wondering how it went and if you'd do it again.

I have instructed 2 times now.. I wasn't really too worried. Both were first timers, and we didn't have any classroom time together. So that was the hard part.. Getting out on track without any relation to anything with a new driver is kind of hard. I may talk with the director about that.

Luckily I am very vocal.. Up front I tell them 4 things... All your braking must be in a straight line. Ease off the brakes when I tell you to.. Turn In when I tell you to, and ease or roll back on the throttle when i tell you to give it throttle..

The first session is just me yelling out these instructions.. Brake, ease off, turn in, squeeze the throttle... Brake, ease off, turn in, squeeze the throttle..

they were so petrified driving on the track they didn't go fast enough at first, which is what I wanted.. Then once they got those things down i started changing braking zones, where to squeeze back on the throttle and telling them to look out through the corners.. By the end of the day they were both much better drivers and had a much better feel for the track.. I think that my goal was achieved.. I Hope they both come back.

• 2 years later...

alright. time to throw in some better racing stuff. 2014 is when I got the car. I have now raced for 2 whole seasons this being my third. I have put a lot of effort into racing and learning car setup etc. I can set up my car and make adjustments based on how the car feels now. I post times very competitively to the pro drivers out here now. My racecraft has came a long ways. This passion only grows more as I go.

Here is my seat in the last race. 11 spec z's on track. Top 4 of us qualied within 10th's of eachother. I qualied P4, but I was having some fuel cutout. So I knew I could probably run better times in the race. I ran my personal best west course lap by .5seconds and did it in the race.

Started 4th, I passed the national champion, and then the 3 year running region champ. The guy in the blue car is Cole Powelson. He is the pro driver that owns lyfe motorsports.. The very guy that did this....

Here is the race vid tons of action at the beginning.. skip to 11:30 mark to watch some off roading action behind some huracan supertrofeo's