Plz advice: Twin Turbo on LP550-2

qatariot

Hi

This is my first post and i'd like to express how much i like how informative this forum is.

I have an Lp550-2 and i am intending to have a twin turbo on it but my only worry is the rear wheel drive as i think the traction is going to be a headache for me. How is the car expected to perform on a stage 1 kit (850+WHP) comparing to the all wheel drive versions and how is the traction expected to be on 1st,2nd and 3rd gear (is it going to be safe to floor it from 1st gear?). Your advice and information are highly appreciated.

I believe it has already been done and I want to say at a higher level on a RWD car. That is a good reason to get boost by gear

There is a video from UGR on youtube calles LP1000-2 which i believe is a stage 3 on pump gas. As chipster said, traction isn´t an issue with boost by gear. Change from the factory pirellis to some Toyo R888s or Trofeo Rs and you should be more than happy

If you want to keep the car rwd UGR can tune it with boost by gear.

I would have them convert it to awd so you can use more power in the lower gears.

I believe it has already been done and I want to say at a higher level on a RWD car. That is a good reason to get boost by gear

I have considered the boost by gear but i still don't know what i am compromising when it comes to performance if i go that way and i need to check if whether UGR or Heffner offer it for the stage one. I am wondering how much is the G rwd is different to the G awd in delivering power knowing that the AWD is already rear-biased?

There is a video from UGR on youtube calles LP1000-2 which i believe is a stage 3 on pump gas. As chipster said, traction isn´t an issue with boost by gear. Change from the factory pirellis to some Toyo R888s or Trofeo Rs and you should be more than happy

Yes i have seen a video of the UGR LP1000-2 but i need information of those who owns that beast or drove it at least.I have read so many good reviews about the Toyo R888 and its excellent gripping ability but so i was told the mickey thompson has pretty good grip too so your personal experience give me more peace of mind.

I appreciate your feedback.

If you want to keep the car rwd UGR can tune it with boost by gear.

I would have them convert it to awd so you can use more power in the lower gears.

I was thinking of the conversion option but two reasons stopped me from considering the awd:

It's a valentino balboni edition and the rwd is like its signature but this is not the main reason to be honest. The main reason is the weight i am adding if i convert it to awd that's why i am wondering how much is it different between the RWD to the BIASED rear wheel drive in the AWD Gallardo.

I have considered the boost by gear but i still don't know what i am compromising when it comes to performance if i go that way and i need to check if whether UGR or Heffner offer it for the stage one. I am wondering how much is the G rwd is different to the G awd in delivering power knowing that the AWD is already rear-biased?

Yes i have seen a video of the UGR LP1000-2 but i need information of those who owns that beast or drove it at least.I have read so many good reviews about the Toyo R888 and its excellent gripping ability but so i was told the mickey thompson has pretty good grip too so your personal experience give me more peace of mind.

I appreciate your feedback.

Don´t go with drag radials on a Gallardo...i assume you only want to use your car on the street and for a stage 1 the R888 is more than enough...even 2Rs and X packages use them. Drag radials will be unstable at higher speeds and i think you´d still like to go around corners...they´re designed mainly for 1/4 mile drag racing and are actually dangerous in rainy conditions. I´d be careful with R888s as well in the rain but drag radials won´t increase your traction in a street application.

Since you asked about flooring your car with the setup...if you like launching your car i would recommend a clutch upgrade as well. Even stock aventadors can break theirs while launching repeatedly.

Now as far as drivability and power delivery is concerned im not the one to ask unfortunately..

PM svoshop and ask his opinion. His 560-2 was just completed by UGR in the thread below this one.

Bolt-ons work great on these cars. My first one was on an '11 and the car drove flawlessly.

I'm sure Kevin at UGR will gladly answer all of your questions. They are a fabulous company to deal with!

I wouldn't do a 550-2 turbo, the beauty of the Twin Turbo Gallardo's is the ability to put the power down with the AWD....

I wouldn't do a 550-2 turbo, the beauty of the Twin Turbo Gallardo's is the ability to put the power down with the AWD....

Sweet jesus! A 550-2 with a UGR 2R package, minus the drivetrain loss! IF you could hook.... I cant even imagine how ferocious that thing would pull on the highway! :o

Sweet jesus! A 550-2 with a UGR 2R package, minus the drivetrain loss! IF you could hook.... I cant even imagine how ferocious that thing would pull on the highway! :o

To the left. And then to the right. There's a limitation of traction. And 305's won't cut it with 1800 hp at the wheels...

To the left. And then to the right. There's a limitation of traction. And 305's won't cut it with 1800 hp at the wheels...

Hence why I said "IF"

It just makes me wonder though. Several years back they were saying the same with big turbo Supras and turbo Vipers. I know that wasn't 1800hp, but i don't think they had the advancements we do today with boost by gear and such. Now I may be wrong on that though, I know Motec has been around for a while.

Just the thought...... good lawd!

Well i guess i am in front of two options:

1-Keep it rwd and have a boost by gear option and R888 tyres

or

2-Convert the rwd to awd and keep my p-zero tyres and forget the boost by gear option.

Thanks for your participation you guys are awesome .

Well i guess i am in front of two options:

1-Keep it rwd and have a boost by gear option and R888 tyres

or

2-Convert the rwd to awd and keep my p-zero tyres and forget the boost by gear option.

Thanks for your participation you guys are awesome .

Hi quatariot,

I am new to driving bolt on TT with 800whp. Have been driving my AWD LP 560-4 for 2 days now at various rates of acceleration and speeds:)

If you TT your RWD, you have to have boost by gear. If you don't have boost by gear. you will lose traction very easily in 1st and second definitely. Almost I would suggest under hard acceleration to point of being unmanageable. eek!

If you are going to TT, much safer to TT an AWD, for with a RWD, if you lose traction at low speeds, you can probably control, but if you lose traction at high speed, you may end up doing a backward spin off the road!

Breaking traction and spinning the wheels gets old after a few times and all you then long for is total hook up and the jet fighter acceleration without worrying about whether the back end is going to let go on you.

Even with AWD you have to be careful. Check out the video on you tube where a high power AWD Gallardo tt broke traction on changing gears and spun off the runway!

I would suggest this would be a more common occurrence with RWD and TT power.

just my two cents worth.

cheers,

john

Hi quatariot,

I am new to driving bolt on TT with 800whp. Have been driving my AWD LP 560-4 for 2 days now at various rates of acceleration and speeds:)

If you TT your RWD, you have to have boost by gear. If you don't have boost by gear. you will lose traction very easily in 1st and second definitely. Almost I would suggest under hard acceleration to point of being unmanageable. eek!

If you are going to TT, much safer to TT an AWD, for with a RWD, if you lose traction at low speeds, you can probably control, but if you lose traction at high speed, you may end up doing a backward spin off the road!

Breaking traction and spinning the wheels gets old after a few times and all you then long for is total hook up and the jet fighter acceleration without worrying about whether the back end is going to let go on you.

Even with AWD you have to be careful. Check out the video on you tube where a high power AWD Gallardo tt broke traction on changing gears and spun off the runway!

just my two cents worth.

cheers,

john

We'll, did it scare you ... Yet ...

Ask Kevin over at UGR because he is the only person that would know. You could always convert it to AWD at UGR.

Best bang for our buck may be buying the 550s and just converting them to AWD.

I hook 1150 whp in first gear no problem with AWD. Even brake boosting on a shit road it hooks.

Hi quatariot,

just my two cents worth.

cheers,

john

Traction as in safety is my worst fear and i am planning to contact the dealer to check if they can convert my car to awd. I can see in your signature that you have Heffner system on your lp560 and as a previous owner of a V10 R8 with Heffner twin turbo system, i wasn't offered a boost by gear option as i have asked the official tuner that tunes for Heffner but they didn't have that option at that time (last year) so there was no option for me to have a quicker shift option. Can you please confirm was it the same with you when you did your project?!!

Ask Kevin over at UGR because he is the only person that would know. You could always convert it to AWD at UGR.

Best bang for our buck may be buying the 550s and just converting them to AWD.

I hook 1150 whp in first gear no problem with AWD. Even brake boosting on a shit road it hooks.

Duhawks correct me if i am wrong but was your previous Twin turbo R8 v10 that was done by top speed i guess converted to a RWD? if yes can you tell me how was your unfortunate short experience with it?

Traction as in safety is my worst fear and i am planning to contact the dealer to check if they can convert my car to awd. I can see in your signature that you have Heffner system on your lp560 and as a previous owner of a V10 R8 with Heffner twin turbo system, i wasn't offered a boost by gear option as i have asked the official tuner that tunes for Heffner but they didn't have that option at that time (last year) so there was no option for me to have a quicker shift option. Can you please confirm was it the same with you when you did your project?!!

Duhawks correct me if i am wrong but was your previous Twin turbo R8 v10 that was done by top speed i guess converted to a RWD? if yes can you tell me how was your unfortunate short experience with it?

Yeah rwd didn't work out for me. The front drive shaft was broken so I was just driving it around rwd while that got fixed. It was early in the morning and like 30 out. My r8 has a kick down pedal so when I was on the hwy and hit the gas I hit the kick down pedal and it down shifted two gears. As soon as it did it was over. Spun a few times and car was totaled. I was also on just regular Michelin super sport tires. I was making maybe 700 to 750 whp when it happened.

There was a texas member here who had a 550-2 and UGR just installed the front halfshafts (i think thats what they are called) to make it AWD because it was far safer and provided more traction. In whatever thread that was they made it seem like it was easy and they had the parts laying around.

There was a texas member here who had a 550-2 and UGR just installed the front halfshafts (i think thats what they are called) to make it AWD because it was far safer and provided more traction. In whatever thread that was they made it seem like it was easy and they had the parts laying around.

Well i know awd is the way to go as the safest option but at the moment there's nothing to do but to keep it rwd and stick to the boost by gear plus the r888 and still getting used to the drive with the twin turbo on until i master driving such a beast. And don't we all know UGR make everythin looks easy na matter how hard it is. I am pretty sure UGR didn't build the 1000-2 unless they knew what they were doing and that what makes them on the top of the business.

Well i know awd is the way to go as the safest option but at the moment there's nothing to do but to keep it rwd and stick to the boost by gear plus the r888 and still getting used to the drive with the twin turbo on until i master driving such a beast. And don't we all know UGR make everythin looks easy na matter how hard it is. I am pretty sure UGR didn't build the 1000-2 unless they knew what they were doing and that what makes them on the top of the business.

You can listen to everyone here or form your own opinion, take your pick. You will be wasting your time with just RWD if you want to be fast and controlled. If you just want to put put around with 800HP until really high gears then you're probably fine on RWD.

Have you driven a high horsepower mid engine car? It has grip until it doesn't have grip and then you spin (maybe controlled, maybe sideways). Its fun with 500HP but 1000HP RWD, I think not.

You can listen to everyone here or form your own opinion, take your pick. You will be wasting your time with just RWD if you want to be fast and controlled. If you just want to put put around with 800HP until really high gears then you're probably fine on RWD.

Have you driven a high horsepower mid engine car? It has grip until it doesn't have grip and then you spin (maybe controlled, maybe sideways). Its fun with 500HP but 1000HP RWD, I think not.

I appreciate ur feedback. I used to have a twin turbo R8 V10 and although it was an AWD still it was struggling when it came to traction with 850+whp that's why i was wondering what options i have based on real life experience to drive a 850whp rwd gallardo. Eventually i will have to deal with each situation in a certain way which means if i stick with the rwd i have to be more careful even if i have a boost by gear and R888 and stick more to high gears or i convert the rwd to awd or trade in my car with an LP560-4 and be on the safe side. To be honest driving a lambo with a rwd is very different when it comes to fun comparing to the awd system in the lp560-4 or the R8 V10 but unfortunately in a twin turbo option there is na use of fun when ur safety is on the line specially when you can avoid it.

I agree 100%. You gotta ask yourself will you be happy with 1000hp or less with the 550. If so, keep the 550 and then if you want more power later or if it feels too unsafe, convert it to AWD.

The beauty of the TTG is the ability to come out of a roll with no drama, it feels like you're teleporting. With rwd only, I bet the initial part of the pull wouldn't be as exciting due to the traction loss. Regardless of rwd or awd i'd still run r888's.

Qatariot, give me a call and we can go over all your questions and concerns. We also have TT upgrades that includes a free AWD upgrade. ;) 704-361-3443

Thanks, Kevin.

There you have it... a no brainer!

Even on my pump setting of 1150 whp it wont even spin in first gear brake boosting on a shit road. It is pretty damn awesome.