My review of the new Huracan....

So , Deuce and I went to drive the new Huracan today... Here is my little review. I will compare the car to what Ive experienced in the Mp4, my old 458, and the Aventador.

1. Visually. The Aventador certainly takes the cake. It is by far the best looking exotic available. The Mp4, is inmo the worst of the bunch. There was one in the parking lot today and it does absolutely nothing for me. So that leaves the Huracan and the 458. Being brutally honest, I like the 458. With a few mods, in the right color I think it is a beautiful car. The Huracan is better looking from the front and side, however I think they missed the boat on the back of the Huracan. Its nice, but after the rest of the car, its a disappointment, while one of my favorite angles of the 458 is the back.

2. Interior... The new interior is nice, and looks great in photos. But once inside, it just doesn't seem special. It feels, rather Audi. Now its not really a bad thing. Its very comfortable, all the controls work and fit well. But it just misses something you get with the 458. The Huracan just feels more plastic, more generic, whereas the 458 feels MONEY. Its still a very comfortable car, and you can see and feel the continuous strives all companies are making in trying to make these car more daily driver friendly. Tough choice for me between the 458 and Huracan in this category. I think if using the car daily, the interior works better in the Huracan. Easier to get in and out of, etc, while as a weekend toy I prefer the 458.

3. Sound. The sound is a tough call. The car doesn't sound much different than the old Gallardo from the outside, and its more muted on the inside than a 458. Stock for stock I give this to the 458, although I know the exhaust can be remodied with aftermarket.

4. Driving the car. Make no mistake, this car has lots of Gallardo DNA.. Its not the night and day difference of stepping from say a 430 to a 458. The two most noticeable improvements, are of course the transmission, its fantastic. Super smooth, no noise, instant shifts, and the brakes. Ceramics are now standard, and on the Gallardo ceramics required a bit of a heavy push to get them going, not here. Perfect brake feel. The rest of the cars feel is very familiar, very Gallardo like. If you can imagine a Gallardo Lp560, and if you have driven a Audi R8 with DCT, then you should be able to pretty much picture in your mind what this car feels like to drive. On track I will add, this car is much more fun than the Aventador, but still seems to lack the nimbleness of the 458 and Mp4. I wanted to vbox the car, but there wasnt much interest from the others in letting me do so, so I didnt press the issue. Seat of the pants feel? Im going to say it seems Aventador fast,but not 0-60 in 2.5 sec, or 0-100 in 5.7 fast. It was a very hot day though, and cars being hot lapped all day long may not put down the best times, especially on 91 octane.

So was I blown away, do I want one? No, not really. But then again, none of these new cars excites me, except maybe the Aventador. As these cars get better and better, inmo, they get less and less exciting. I dont want a car that drives like a Cadillac so I can use it daily, I want a car that kicks the crap out of you and lets you know you are in control. As these cars get more and more computer controlled, the driving experience is even more subdued. I figure for me, if I were to be looking for a car in the $280k range, out of the 458, Huracan and 650S, both brand new, Id probably go Huracan. I say that with trepidation, as next year the 458 is coming with Twin Turbos, and if they do it right, I think that will truly be bad ass. Truly spending my own money though, Id just look for a good deal on a used Aventador.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, forgot to add, with the race seats as in the yellow car, taller people, especially people with long torsos will have a hard time fitting..

Mp4... in this company? No... just no....

LOL! Don't you make fun of my precious 12C :icon_mrgreen:

That was my "low key" 12C in the parking lot today, my Aventador took a break today but it will be out to stretch its legs tomorrow morning!

Still haven't met the famous Sami yet, but apparently we live in the same neighborhood :icon_super:

Oh, forgot to add, with the race seats as in the yellow car, taller people, especially people with long torsos will have a hard time fitting..

I agree. I'm short (5ft8) and I had a hard time squeezing into the yellow car's race seat. Plus the way the race seat is contoured, I felt like I needed a massage after the 5 laps. These seats are NOT COMFORTABLE.

LOL! Don't you make fun of my precious 12C :icon_mrgreen:

That was my "low key" 12C in the parking lot today, my Aventador took a break today but it will be out to stretch its legs tomorrow morning!

Still haven't met the famous Sami yet, but apparently we live in the same neighborhood :icon_super:

Haha, Im sorry! So what did you think of the Huracan vs the Mp4?

Thanks for the review Allan I can't wait to get mine.

I think you will like it.. If you like a Gallardo, you cant not like this..

Haha, Im sorry! So what did you think of the Huracan vs the Mp4?

LOL, no offense taken! I bought the 12C for the way it drove, not the way it looked. Personally, I look at the Mclaren the same way as I look at Porsche: they are great driver's cars, but not very good looking.

Compared to my 12C, the Huracan is a bit slower in acceleration and not as nimble in the corners. I have been to a few Fontana lapping sessions, so I think with the same driver, the 12C would be a bit faster on the track. On canyon roads, I think the two would be equal, especially with the 4WD system on the Huracan giving most drivers an extra layer of confidence on the road. The new ceramic brakes on the Huracan is excellent (great stopping power and terrific feel) and the dual clutch transmission is better than the one on my 12C. I really like the way the exhaust burbled during acceleration run-off, but since the cars we tried are Euro-spec, I'm not sure if we will get the same exhaust on the US-spec cars.

Would I buy a Huracan over a 650S? I would buy the Huracan if both cars are sold at MSRP. However, I bought my 12C almost two years ago (brand new) with a 75K discount off sticker, so it was probably the best valued car that I had purchased in a long time.

LOL, no offense taken! I bought the 12C for the way it drove, not the way it looked. Personally, I look at the Mclaren the same way as I look at Porsche: they are great driver's cars, but not very good looking.

Compared to my 12C, the Huracan is a bit slower in acceleration and not as nimble in the corners. I have been to a few Fontana lapping sessions, so I think with the same driver, the 12C would be a bit faster on the track. On canyon roads, I think the two would be equal, especially with the 4WD system on the Huracan giving most drivers an extra layer of confidence on the road. The new ceramic brakes on the Huracan is excellent (great stopping power and terrific feel) and the dual clutch transmission is better than the one on my 12C. I really like the way the exhaust burbled during acceleration run-off, but since the cars we tried are Euro-spec, I'm not sure if we will get the same exhaust on the US-spec cars.

Would I buy a Huracan over a 650S? I would buy the Huracan if both cars are sold at MSRP. However, I bought my 12C almost two years ago (brand new) with a 75K discount off sticker, so it was probably the best valued car that I had purchased in a long time.

Yes, it will be awhile before we see 75k off sticker on a Huracan.. Certainly the Mclaren is the performance benchmark of the bunch, it doesn't look bad, just not as good as the others. I wonder if Ferrari will be able to change the game with their 458 TT.. Saddens me, as I feel had Lambo gone TT on the Huracan we would of had an amazing car on our hands.

Thanks Allan for the review.

I haven't driven a Huracan; I did see 2 in person; one at an unveiling event, the other in private so I can go over on my own pace with no time limit.

The styling, IMO, is a success. I am not entirely sure if I like the softer rounder lines of the Huracan compared to a LP570 but the LP5x0 is clearly a decade-old design and the Huracan is totally contemporary eventhough it pays tribute to some of Lamborghini's classic models. While personally, I think the Gallardo --- especially the 1st-gen one --- was an updated styling of a Countach, squint one's eyes a bit and you can see the Huracan resembles the later versions of the Diablo. I concur that the back is bit lack-lustre but Lambo likely have many tricks up its sleeves for improvements (Aventador coupe & roadster are having trim colour tweaks as we speak).

One can certainly tell that Audi is the parent of Lamborghini especially from the interior. It's good that the A/C control is no longer a direct import from Audi or the dash configuration in typical VAG pattern. But the feel is more than apparent. While I agree that overall it doesn't feel grand, the attention to details is definitely in line with Audi's diligence. And perhaps they left a hint or two for future upgrades too. Case in point: the cover/cowling of the driver's dash is shaped like a NACA duct (tribute to the CT's side perhaps?) and within that piece is an opening of some sort. I don't see any functional or styling merits of that except it would make perfect sense if the car has HUD down the road. And the overall exterior of the car is more or less a blank canvas now; it facilitates many opportunities for aero parts, stripes et al to make it more interesting.

I fully concur with your last paragraph. A Lamborghini is not a DD and even if it can be, I want that special feel of the machine when I drive it and I also am in full control of the way it drives. After spending time in an Aventador and a few other more classic models, the current line-up --- while blindingly fast --- is definitely watering down that feel and hence diminishing the fun factor. Unfortunate, I don't see how the Huracan would be different from this trend; in fact, it likely would be even more "docile". Let's hope the Superleggera version will return it more to the "dark side" origin.

Thanks Allan for the review.

I haven't driven a Huracan; I did see 2 in person; one at an unveiling event, the other in private so I can go over on my own pace with no time limit.

The styling, IMO, is a success. I am not entirely sure if I like the softer rounder lines of the Huracan compared to a LP570 but the LP5x0 is clearly a decade-old design and the Huracan is totally contemporary eventhough it pays tribute to some of Lamborghini's classic models. While personally, I think the Gallardo --- especially the 1st-gen one --- was an updated styling of a Countach, squint one's eyes a bit and you can see the Huracan resembles the later versions of the Diablo. I concur that the back is bit lack-lustre but Lambo likely have many tricks up its sleeves for improvements (Aventador coupe & roadster are having trim colour tweaks as we speak).

One can certainly tell that Audi is the parent of Lamborghini especially from the interior. It's good that the A/C control is no longer a direct import from Audi or the dash configuration in typical VAG pattern. But the feel is more than apparent. While I agree that overall it doesn't feel grand, the attention to details is definitely in line with Audi's diligence. And perhaps they left a hint or two for future upgrades too. Case in point: the cover/cowling of the driver's dash is shaped like a NACA duct (tribute to the CT's side perhaps?) and within that piece is an opening of some sort. I don't see any functional or styling merits of that except it would make perfect sense if the car has HUD down the road. And the overall exterior of the car is more or less a blank canvas now; it facilitates many opportunities for aero parts, stripes et al to make it more interesting.

I fully concur with your last paragraph. A Lamborghini is not a DD and even if it can be, I want that special feel of the machine when I drive it and I also am in full control of the way it drives. After spending time in an Aventador and a few other more classic models, the current line-up --- while blindingly fast --- is definitely watering down that feel and hence diminishing the fun factor. Unfortunate, I don't see how the Huracan would be different from this trend; in fact, it likely would be even more "docile". Let's hope the Superleggera version will return it more to the "dark side" origin.

I think the way to go maybe to buy a Squadra Corsa or STS Gallardo, and wait till the more intense versions of the Huracan appear. I drove my Murcielago home just yesterday, and just the sound of metal on metal as you bang through the gears is so much more engaging inmo.

I think the way to go maybe to buy a Squadra Corsa or STS Gallardo, and wait till the more intense versions of the Huracan appear. I drove my Murcielago home just yesterday, and just the sound of metal on metal as you bang through the gears is so much more engaging inmo.

:iamwithstupid: Exactly. The gratification every time I drive the 6.0... The Aventador likely drives around the 6.0 in circles but it is almost boring by comparison.

Not a fan of the final facelift on the S.C.; so STS would be the one for me.

:iamwithstupid: Exactly. The gratification every time I drive the 6.0... The Aventador likely drives around the 6.0 in circles but it is almost boring by comparison.

Not a fan of the final facelift on the S.C.; so STS would be the one for me.

Love the STS!

Moreso than the Gallardo? I'm 6'3" and can make do in a G (458 is much more spacious, though).

I enjoyed the write-up...thanks for sharing.

I think you will like it.. If you like a Gallardo, you cant not like this..

My favorite car ever was my 570, the Huracan is an interim car for me until the SL version arrives, based on the reviews so far I am sure it will work for me.

Love the Huracan interior, the exterior is too rounded and safe right now for my taste. I think the SL version will be the one to own.