How long can a Euro Spec car stay in the States?

Tupps11

Just curious how long i would be able to bring over a Euro Spec Lambo or Ferrari stateside?

I know different states have different emissions laws. Im thinking SoCal if i bring the car over. Was hoping to revisit where i grew up and spend a couple months enjoying myself with my car and some friends this coming spring. Of course i would be keeping my foreign plates on the car (German Export Plates) during my trip.

Anyone know what the rules are and how they apply?

Just curious how long i would be able to bring over a Euro Spec Lambo or Ferrari stateside?

I know different states have different emissions laws. Im thinking SoCal if i bring the car over. Was hoping to revisit where i grew up and spend a couple months enjoying myself with my car and some friends this coming spring. Of course i would be keeping my foreign plates on the car (German Export Plates) during my trip.

Anyone know what the rules are and how they apply?

I believe in CA the law is you can drive a car on foreign plates for a month. One guy brought over his Huayra and drove it around LA for awhile on Arab plates before sending it back to KSA.

That or you can try and get dealer plates or something, there's a Koenigsegg owner who keeps his CCX on factory plates (At least I think they are, they just have the Koenigsegg shield on the plate and nothing else) and he's seems to drive that around SoCal occasionally, definitely has had the car in California for several months.

I believe in CA the law is you can drive a car on foreign plates for a month. One guy brought over his Huayra and drove it around LA for awhile on Arab plates before sending it back to KSA.

That or you can try and get dealer plates or something, there's a Koenigsegg owner who keeps his CCX on factory plates (At least I think they are, they just have the Koenigsegg shield on the plate and nothing else) and he's seems to drive that around SoCal occasionally, definitely has had the car in California for several months.

Would you happen to know who i could hire to clear the car through U.S. customs upon arriving? I would most likely be bringing it by air freight to LAX.

Just found a few companies online based in LA. Would be great if someone could recommend a company though. Google results can be misleading.

Would you happen to know who i could hire to clear the car through U.S. customs upon arriving? I would most likely be bringing it by air freight to LAX.

Just found a few companies online based in LA. Would be great if someone could recommend a company though. Google results can be misleading.

Not in LA but Roy Cats at Cats Exotics is your man for sure. Plus if you are bringing in a Lambo he can make sure everything is well sorted on it before you begin your adventure.

Hell, if it were me, and of course its not, I would call up Roy and buy one from him with an agreed value buy back number and be done with it. then you have a fixed cost for the time you are here, and guy you can trust that would sell it to you and that you know would buy it back as agreed, and then you have no shipping nightmare to and from your country. Bet it would be cheaper too.

Hell, if it were me, and of course its not, I would call up Roy and buy one from him with an agreed value buy back number and be done with it. then you have a fixed cost for the time you are here, and guy you can trust that would sell it to you and that you know would buy it back as agreed, and then you have no shipping nightmare to and from your country. Bet it would be cheaper too.

:iamwithstupid:

Good point.

Message US/UK DIABLO he was doing that with his euro spec diablo.

I want to say it was 3 months and then you had to "attempt" to bring it out of the country (aka pay the port fees and drive it to the port but not actually get on the boat). I remember he had all the paperwork figured out and all the details.

Thats definitely an option, but there is something about taking your own car on an adventure that makes the trip more special. Im very attached to my cars. Every one i own is a special order (colour combo, options, etc.). I love traveling with them when my budget permits. You grow even more attached to the vehicle and make memories that last a lifetime. Only problem is, it makes it more difficult to decide to sell it one day...lol.

Few years back when i owned my Nera, i drove it with Swiss plates from Paris to Monaco. Was meeting my family (parents and siblings) down there for holiday. They decided to fly. If i remember correctly, i started out of Paris at around 5am. They headed to the airport at 7am. Its about a 45 min flight for them and roughly 1000km drive for me. When they landed at Nice airport around 10am, they called me to check on my progress. Sent them a pic of my feet up on the terrace in the hotel cafe where all the super cars are always parked. My mom nearly fainted :lol2:

They knew i must have been flying to actually reach the hotel before them. It was an epic drive. France has some wonderful roads/highways. The memories i made in the Nera will stay with me forever. I wanna plan a new trip in SoCal soon. Was thinking of taking the F12 this time. Between work, stress and crappy roads here, i haven't had the chance to enjoy the car yet. I obviously won't be driving the same way i did in France (thank you CHP), but a nice trip up the coast to Santa Barbra, Nappa, Moterey, and The Bay Area would be amazing. Our last year in University (2001), my girlfriend and I did that same route in my Honda Accord. The scenery was breathtaking.

Few years back when i owned my Nera, i drove it with Swiss plates from Paris to Monaco. Was meeting my family (parents and siblings) down there for holiday. They decided to fly. If i remember correctly, i started out of Paris at around 5am. They headed to the airport at 7am. Its about a 45 min flight for them and roughly 1000km drive for me. When they landed at Nice airport around 10am, they called me to check on my progress. Sent them a pic of my feet up on the terrace in the hotel cafe where all the super cars are always parked. My mom nearly fainted :lol2:

:icon_super:

Thats definitely an option, but there is something about taking your own car on an adventure that makes the trip more special. Im very attached to my cars. Every one i own is a special order (colour combo, options, etc.). I love traveling with them when my budget permits. You grow even more attached to the vehicle and make memories that last a lifetime. Only problem is, it makes it more difficult to decide to sell it one day...lol.

They knew i must have been flying to actually reach the hotel before them. It was an epic drive. France has some wonderful roads/highways. The memories i made in the Nera will stay with me forever. I wanna plan a new trip in SoCal soon. Was thinking of taking the F12 this time. Between work, stress and crappy roads here, i haven't had the chance to enjoy the car yet. I obviously won't be driving the same way i did in France (thank you CHP), but a nice trip up the coast to Santa Barbra, Nappa, Moterey, and The Bay Area would be amazing. Our last year in University (2001), my girlfriend and I did that same route in my Honda Accord. The scenery was breathtaking.

I kinda had a feeling you would be thinking along these lines. It makes sense for sure. The thought of having an accident in one on a different continent is kinda scary to me though. I do totally get that, it will be an amazing trip. You can round up all the guys and do one of the runs on PCH too, that would be awesome.

Message US/UK DIABLO he was doing that with his euro spec diablo.

I want to say it was 3 months and then you had to "attempt" to bring it out of the country (aka pay the port fees and drive it to the port but not actually get on the boat). I remember he had all the paperwork figured out and all the details.

Thanks for the info...I searched for his username, but couldn't find it?? :blush:

I kinda had a feeling you would be thinking along these lines. It makes sense for sure. The thought of having an accident in one on a different continent is kinda scary to me though. I do totally get that, it will be an amazing trip. You can round up all the guys and do one of the runs on PCH too, that would be awesome.

Its really not that scary in Western Europe, or the US for that matter. I insure my cars quite comprehensively. I pay an arms and a leg for full international coverage that includes theft, hold up, natural disasters, weather damage, and of course minor, major, and total loss accidents.

Although its pricey, you get peace of mind. Between shipping, clearing, insuring, and driving...its a pretty expensive holiday. In any case, its so worth it when done right. A chilled out PCH run for someone who hasn't driven there before would alone be worth it...lol. I miss SoCal so much. You guys don't know how good you have it.

wasn't there a 1 year "show and display" rule? I remember C***y W****s had her "Cormando" (or whatever it was called) here in the states and had it for a year before sending it out of the country. It was one year or goes to the crusher I think.

wasn't there a 1 year "show and display" rule? I remember C***y W****s had her "Cormando" (or whatever it was called) here in the states and had it for a year before sending it out of the country. It was one year or goes to the crusher I think.

I heard the same, but i think you can't drive the car on public roads in the case of "show and display"

I heard the same, but i think you can't drive the car on public roads in the case of "show and display"

I know of at least one CLK DTM being on S&D on public roads. I even know of a Renault Clio V6 under the same.