Pros & cons of manual vs egear

JanDaMan

This sounds about right. The one thing I can say about the F cars like the 458, is that the transmission is great and unfortunately makes our 640's shifting seem pretty slow. But I still prefer it over an F car and you just can't beat the full throttle shifts from first to second.

Oh hell yeah I still would take my Lambo anywday. Just wished it had quicker shift times.

On a side note, my friends SV raced with this Novitec tuned F458 and won about 1 cars length over a 1km stretch. However the F458 kept inching in during every shift. Our shift times are to slow.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandma can drive any paddle shift car; an old school manual... especially a manual Lamborghini, no chance :D

I like a challenge; especially to keep me occupied even at low speeds. I would be scared that I would have to drive at 80%+ to enjoy any paddle shifter.

In the same way that I have much more respect for the old F1 drivers driving those 1,000hp+ monsters, with a manual gearshift; rather than the paddle shifter full traction control etc cars of modern times. One hand on the wheel, one hand on the shifter, and balls of steel.

Each to their own. I'm not trying to change anyone's buying choice.

Modern F1 cars don't have traction control....

• 3 months later...
Pedal set, shifter and shifter gate, and line from clutch to tranny. We then removed the flappy paddles just because. Expensive but we had it done in 2 days.

Car doesn't even know that it's not e-gear, LOL

I recommend the short shift kit from MA carbon.

Have you got some more info on this please. Always had manuals, just bought a 640 roadster egear and don't like it

Up until a couple of years ago I was a devout manualian. I've since owned a couple of DCT cars, which are very impressive. They make the drive to work pleasant, as well as rail through the gears on track. I daily drove a manual 997.2 GT3 for the last year and a half, and as much as I loved the car, the clutch became a little tiresome.

I decided I wanted to own an LP640 as a daily driver, and was concerned about a single clutch semi auto after my experience in an M3 SMG a while back. But there were literally three manuals ever sold in the UK. So I bought an E-gear expecting I'd convert it to manual. But so far I am quite impressed. It's not as sophisticated as a dual clutch, and it has had a couple of jerky moments, but nothing too embarrassing, and combined with how awesome it is on a run, over all it feels like a suitable gearbox choice for a mental car.

Currently I'm happy to keep driving it to work every day, and taking advantage of the open roads whenever I get the opportunity.

Up until a couple of years ago I was a devout manualian. I've since owned a couple of DCT cars, which are very impressive. They make the drive to work pleasant, as well as rail through the gears on track. I daily drove a manual 997.2 GT3 for the last year and a half, and as much as I loved the car, the clutch became a little tiresome.

I decided I wanted to own an LP640 as a daily driver, and was concerned about a single clutch semi auto after my experience in an M3 SMG a while back. But there were literally three manuals ever sold in the UK. So I bought an E-gear expecting I'd convert it to manual. But so far I am quite impressed. It's not as sophisticated as a dual clutch, and it has had a couple of jerky moments, but nothing too embarrassing, and combined with how awesome it is on a run, over all it feels like a suitable gearbox choice for a mental car.

Currently I'm happy to keep driving it to work every day, and taking advantage of the open roads whenever I get the opportunity.

As a daily; now that is epic! Cars exist to be enjoyed whenever possible, not mothballed in storage.

Welcome to the LP cave :)

I also wanted a 3 pedal but have been pleasantly happy with the e gear which for me the manual would become a chore in certain conditions. The vacuum sound of the e gear is awesome also.

• 2 months later...
The E-Gear IS a 6-speed manual tranny. It just is an electronically controlled, hydraulically actuated one. In other words, a computer and mechanics do the shifting for you when you pull a paddle. Everything else is identical.

If we did it, you're looking at roughly a $25k conversion out the door if memory serves.

I think it's money well spent

:iamwithstupid:

Or backing up hill ANYWHERE.

My understanding is that you get an E-gear light that comes on the dash when the conversion is done. How did you get rid of the egear warning light?

My understanding is that you get an E-gear light that comes on the dash when the conversion is done. How did you get rid of the egear warning light?

Pull the cluster, disassemble it and block the light with tape. Reassemble and bobs your uncle..

You would use an ecu from a manual car and not have a tcu anymore. In an egear car the transmission talks to the ecu to cut ignition and throttle when shifting. That's where a large chunk of your 25k would be the pedal box and manual ecu.