Teach me about garage lifts

05LSV

couldn't you put a little recession in the ceiling? like a coffer? That may be the wrong term, but would give you another 4" maybe?

Good idea. I obsessed over the measurements in advance and knew it would be close. When we put it in we have literally only an inch to spare. Glad we are running 120 volts. It's slow until you get to the top and then it seems really fast. I have a sticker on the leg of the lift by the hydraulic pump to guide me. I never look at the car, it would scare the crap out of me! If we had been a little off, putting in a cut out would be a consideration. It wouldn't be a no brainer. With those you drop the rest of the ceiling except for the center of the coffer. Above the Carrera is our master bedroom!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just curious has anyone used a traditional 4 post car lift for motorcycles on top? (instead of a car)

I want to put my 2 Harleys on top, im thinking I can use a 2x4 where the kick stand would lean.

any ideas?

just curious has anyone used a traditional 4 post car lift for motorcycles on top? (instead of a car)

I want to put my 2 Harleys on top, im thinking I can use a 2x4 where the kick stand would lean.

any ideas?

It could work but it might be safer to strap them down.

any ideas?

I believe they have flat lifts you can get instead. Of course, you lose the ability to work on the car underneath. I would imagine it could work....maybe have a plate welded to the side for the kickstand.

Did any of you guys convert your garage door to high lift by yourself. I currently have plenty of room in the garage, and have a craftsman lift on it.

I think you can if you're mechanically inclined but from the DIY I read once, it seemed not as easy as I would have thought. My dad just paid $1300 for a new wall mount opener and high door conversion all installed. A little high I thought, but the other quote he got was around $1800. I think the opener and materials are around $6-700. If you do it, do a write up for us lol.