Amazon Echo

sprite

http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo

Anyone order one? I ordered one cause I figured for $100 it would be cool to use as an alarm/speaker for my nightstand or something. Not sure about having a cloud connected listening device in my house though...

Looks cool, Id give it a try. But I hear what you say on the listening part.

• 2 months later...

I haven't had luck w voice recognition in last five years. That technology has gone backwards.

Seven years ago, I would enter google map destination by voice on my iPhone 3G. Today, that feature almost never works on my iPhone 5. Siri is a POS and I disable it.

I don't like amazon stuff and could careless for a voice operated device. Believe it or not, people want to text and type rather than talk.

Things get smarter , people getting lazy... Watched the video, I think we'll watch the more realistic version soon.. dad getting angry at kid for asking him a question and reply with "why don't you ask to Alexa"..

I agree about the privacy about putting a cloud connected microphone in my house.

I haven't had luck w voice recognition in last five years. That technology has gone backwards.

Seven years ago, I would enter google map destination by voice on my iPhone 3G. Today, that feature almost never works on my iPhone 5. Siri is a POS and I disable it.

I don't like amazon stuff and could careless for a voice operated device. Believe it or not, people want to text and type rather than talk.

Siri def.needs work. Google has the best voice recognition hands down, way ahead of everyone.

I absolutely dread texting/typing. I have almost all notifications shut off on my phone so I'm not bothered. If it's important enough, call me. In public, no one wants to talk out loud to their phone, of course. In private, this tech is great.

I think the idea of Alexa is cool. I really want to see how Amazon's product works and see how it improves over time.

On the topic of Siri, it's been around long enough that it should be the best. Don't know how it fell behind.

• 1 year later...

So, has anyone put in any time with one of these things? They have seriously advanced in their network of compatible home automation devices. Wemo, Nest, Hue, etc. and it's starting to look pretty appealing for simple integration via one app.

So, has anyone put in any time with one of these things? They have seriously advanced in their network of compatible home automation devices. Wemo, Nest, Hue, etc. and it's starting to look pretty appealing for simple integration via one app.

Sold Alexa. Bought Google home! Google. The best to do it

Sold Alexa. Bought Google home! Google. The best to do it

Is it that good? I enjoy my Alexa a lot combined with my prime account.

Is it that good? I enjoy my Alexa a lot combined with my prime account.

Not really lol. I think the Echo can hook up to more smart home devices, but the voice recognition and experience is a little better with Google. Answers are more accurate.

Google home, even though it's not fully there yet, has the potential to do a lot more. It can hook up to your nest, multi room audio, chroecast, etc.

I'd go with Google if you use a lot of Google services. Echo if you intergrate it with Amazo more.

Not really lol. I think the Echo can hook up to more smart home devices, but the voice recognition and experience is a little better with Google. Answers are more accurate.

Google home, even though it's not fully there yet, has the potential to do a lot more. It can hook up to your nest, multi room audio, chroecast, etc.

I'd go with Google if you use a lot of Google services. Echo if you intergrate it with Amazo more.

I just picked up an Alexa enabled firestick so I think I'm headed Amazon universe. I need to look up the firestick mods.