testarossa experience

emilio

i am currently lusting for the old testarossa ....i am sure someone had one or 2 of these

can you tell me your honest opinion on the car?

would you suggest one as a classic?

Seems like prices have jumped on these too. I remember last year seeing quite a few non-512s in the 50-70 range. No experience but love the look! Especially a 512!

Yeah market is heading north.... 2 years ago had a chance to get a cherry for 40K but passed... kicking myself now. Would be cool to have a first gen Diablo and Testarossa.... relive the 80's :)

I had an 86 TR awhile back when I had my first Countach for a little bit. I think I hit upon a shitty car as it had loads of problems and I sold it after a few months. I much preferred the Countach. That being said, a TR is certainly on my list of "TO BUY" cars. Countach was faster, and better built. The interior on the TR really does not wear well.

I had an 86 TR awhile back when I had my first Countach for a little bit. I think I hit upon a shitty car as it had loads of problems and I sold it after a few months. I much preferred the Countach. That being said, a TR is certainly on my list of "TO BUY" cars. Countach was faster, and better built. The interior on the TR really does not wear well.

tks Allan

i am also in same position...i want to get one mainly because of look and the engine...interior sucks but the rest of car is cool!

i'd like a NOT red Testarossa, better if black or silver, ideally an early one like yours...but since they are hard to get an 88 - 89 may worck

this is what i would like

Emilio, would you ever do the double high mirror? It's a cool mod that can be done by sourcing from the opposite market your car is from.

To me, if I had to have a first gen TR, I'd like that high mirror model and preferably late enough to have the water pump update (this might have had to been done by the previous owner or the new one). I think they stopped it in '86 or '87, IIRC.

Also, I think a wheel change is in order too. As much as I respect the history of most Ferrari wheels, this one didn't age as well as most.

The good news is quality 18s are aplenty for this car. And as an added bonus, the way the flying buttresses end on the original TR vs. the 512 TR/M makes it look longer from the side.

I'm sorta torn on the matte black underbody panels -- I'd probably want a black one to eliminate the issue. :icon_mrgreen:

The 512 TR has aged considerably well IMO. Ironic because I used to hate it when it first came out, now wouldn't have it any other way.

BTW, for point of reference for driving, a friend of mine has a TR, 355 Spider and a Diablo VT. Overall he feels the TR is more special than the 355 (even in the sound department), and that while the Diablo has a more vicious sound, the TR is extremely operatic in its own way.

I'd have to agree on that last point....not until the 599 GTO/F12 came out did the 12 cylinder Ferrari flagship have an intoxicating sound since the TR series ended (F50/Enzo don't count in this discussion). A lowly TR without cats and the right exhaust sounds better than most exotics out there new or old.

i think realistically i would get a 88-89

single mirror are now getting very pricey as well as 512TR

• 2 months later...

Old topic. I did consider getting a TR. The first time was in the mid 90's. I even had a wholesale connection at a dealer with one. Despite looking good and sounding great, just couldn't do it. It wasn't sports car enough and not good grand touring machine. It felt too heavy. I was comparing it too my near new at the time 928GTS. Wasn't worth the extra $20k to own at the time.

Considered it again a few months ago. I love the looks of the car. Can live with the drive. When I looked you could get a 1990 with low miles from the Ferrari dealer for $69K CDN. I should have bought it. Now the same car is near $140k CDN in asking prices.

Prices have sky rocketed on 3x8s and Testarossa's these last couple of years, Dino's also. A lot of people want these cars out there, reliving the cars from their youth.

O.K. I like the look of the 308. I'm a big Magnum PI, even own the DVD's. I'm currently half through the seventh season now. Even with this much fan like, the 308 to drive is very disappointing.

In fact, I wonder how Ferrari got the reputation they have. Outside of racing, they basically suck as cars. All looks and no go. A 944 turbo will smoke a 308 and even the 328 GTS.

Still considering getting a TR and a 308, just as art and ignore they are not very good cars!

A 92 512TR just popped up for sale in Canada. It has 20k kilometers on it. Only drawback it was an American market car originally, I say this because it has the dreaded automatic "mouse" seat belts. Ask seems reasonable at $149k CDN, considering that's $123k and change U.S. A lot lower then what I've seen them offered in the U.S, lately. Too bad its in Toronto or Id go look at it.

O.K. I like the look of the 308. I'm a big Magnum PI, even own the DVD's. I'm currently half through the seventh season now. Even with this much fan like, the 308 to drive is very disappointing.

In fact, I wonder how Ferrari got the reputation they have. Outside of racing, they basically suck as cars. All looks and no go. A 944 turbo will smoke a 308 and even the 328 GTS.

Still considering getting a TR and a 308, just as art and ignore they are not very good cars!

i had a 308: very nice chassis!

as for straight line...they are not powerfull so do not aspect to be a quick car.

Had an 87 that strahman converted to topless

in that day a chick magnet

Wow that's a beauty.. Would be worth a ton today :D

• 2 weeks later...

i have a '94 512TR and i enjoy driving it. just don't expect it to be a canyon carver or switch lanes with ease. it is more of a grand tourer with a sporty feel from the 80's. maybe my expectations for the car were so bad that i now find the car rather amusing and quite a character.

once everything is working properly, it is a joy to drive on the highway and sweeping roads. the sound of the mechanical v12 with tubi is something you will not get with modern cars.

goodluck. it's a car i don't regret buying because quite frankly it is easy to operate.